SICK to the TEETH of Skype Phone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Skeletal-dæmon, Nov 17, 2008.

1. Skeletal-dæmon macrumors 6502

Okay, here's the deal:

I have a Skype Phone. And I wish I didn't. Of course to get all the cool free Skype and web browsing and more texts per month than I could possibly type on the UK's H3G network, I had to sign up for an 18 month contract with H3G.

I have 3 months left on my contract but I am very nearly at the point where I am going to kill the next H3G repairman who fails to make my phone work for more than 6 hours, and I am wondering one thing;

Of all you iPhone users out there, I want your honest opinion. Is it worth ending my contract (£20 break fee plus £105 - remaining 3 months payment) and getting the iPhone for free on a contract that suits my needs more than my current one at the same price as my current one?

I am nearing my wits end and I want an iPhone because my iPod is dying and I am very nearly homicidal over this travesty of a mobile... but I don't know if a solid pay-off of the next three months contract is quite worth it just to stop me getting in a temper when I try to do something simple like dial a number and it crashes.

2. pauld macrumors regular

Absolutely. I did the same (well, just gave my Three contact phone to my girl and paid it myself since July until now).
    Three will bleed you dry - I had to spend 48mins begging their retention representative for them to let me finish my contract on it's due date (they wouldn't).
    The moral here is avoid them at all costs - escape while you can!

3. iblastoff macrumors 6502

well it already sounds like you've convinced yourself and are just waiting for apple fans to tell you to go for it. personally if i had to start over i probably would have not gotten the iphone at all. way too buggy. at least for me. if you don't like things crashing, well, be prepared for a lot of it on the iphone!

4. bithacker macrumors newbie

I always wonder what people do to their iPhones that cause these crashes.. I mean I get no drop calls (after the 2.1 patch and except maybe the areas that my other phones had issues in), zero crashes with about 15 apps installed, etc..

Dunno, I haven't JB'd it or anything maybe that is why forums are wrought with ppl complaining.. I say go for it, make the jump. I happily switched to the iPhone and love it.

5. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

I had the Skypephone, it broke in less than a month so I took it back to Sainsurys. I only got it coz it was cheap on PAYG (although the features are certainly good for the price of £40!)

I would say to exit the contract.

6. Skeletal-dæmon thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for your replies guys. Although the note about the iPhone crashing... eep. I don't think I have any mental capacity left for being mad at phones.

I'm still teetering, will sleep on it tonight and take action, or not as the case may be, in the morning.

7. iblastoff macrumors 6502

i've never really had issues with dropped calls but i don't particularly use the phone part that much. definitely more of a texting/data fiend. i have about 5 pages of apps installed which i don't find is that much at all.

by crashing i mostly mean mobile safari shutting down EVERY SINGLE DAY i use it. i really have no idea why. there are plenty of threads about this issue too and it is maddening to use.

8. sparkyms macrumors 65816

If you're going to buy out of your contract, just let it run for 3 months.. and it will cost you the same amount of money as it would to buy out immediately, and if you're unhappy with the iPhone in the first month you won't be stuck with it, you can take it back and have a contract with not long left on the line rental but enough time to find a phone that suits you.

9. garybUK Guest

garybUK

Phone 3 they will probably throw all the latest phones at you for free and renew your contract early.....

I have a N95 8GB on O2 and got 3's mobile broadband for £7.50 a month on 6 month contract if i got a Sony Ericsson on 6 month contract for £22 per month, so my friend took the SE and Contract i paid the bills by Direct Debit and he gave me the money each month.

I phoned to cancel it and they were offering me hundreds of texts and calls for £15 a month and the latest handsets.

10. bananabar macrumors regular

Don't do it. Save your £125 and wait the three months - there's a good change the next gen iPhone will be out then.

11. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

I doubt it. A memory upgrade maybe, but not a next gen iPhone. Not yet.

12. Surely Guest

Surely

Actually, it would be cheaper to let it run for 3 months because he would be saving the £20 break fee.

But I agree with sparkyms, let it run and then cancel it.

That is, unless you were planning on porting your number to the iPhone.