Sigh. 2012 MBP isn't turning on. Charging light flashes when resetting SMC though?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by naked, Apr 18, 2016.

1. naked macrumors member

Laptop battery ran out like normal, plugged it in and now it's not turning back on. I've googled around and haven't had much luck. The cable shows it as charging. The only thing that I can do to get a response from it is to do the SMC reset, then the charging light briefly goes from Orange to green to orange.

Any thoughts? Let me know if I can provide some more info.

2. danwestbrook macrumors regular

danwestbrook

tried plugging into an external screen? does the Mac stay on once powered on eg hear fans spinning etc? also have you tried a PRAM reset?

3. naked thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply. I was able to get it booted up by plugging in the power cable while holding the power button down.

Now it's crawling slow, and the battery shows an X. A few other oddities as well. Fan is running on max.

If I unplug the power cable it dies instantly.

I was able to get into the Hardware test. The basic pass didn't find any issues, so I'm running the full test now.

Major downside: I'm living internationally at the moment so finding a shop to fix it is going to be difficult.

4. danwestbrook macrumors regular

danwestbrook

sounds like the battery might of failed. I would try a SMC reset again to address the Fan speed and I would also reset the PRAM. Also once its booted up check the activity monitor and try to see if anything is using a lot of CPU or Memory

5. raptor402 macrumors 6502

I'm trying to fix the same issue on my friend's 13" rMBP. I tried plugging in the power cable while holding the power button but got no boot. The only change is that when I do that, the magsafe LED doesn't turn green like it normally would when plugging in.

Have you tried disconnecting and reconnecting the battery?

6. naked thread starter macrumors member

Ended up needing a PRAM reset! Back to normal with the battery showing 1200 cycles and having 75% of original capacity.