Sighhh… Ghosting...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Lexical, May 19, 2013.

1. Lexical macrumors regular

So I've had my rMBP for about 4 months now and for the first time today I've suffered with serious ghosting.

I left a news page up for about an hour and when i went to play a video on netflix the image of the news page was clearly there still viewable on the dark background of the video. I restarted and its still there…

What the hell do i do? Its so clearly visible as well. Does it go away over time or what happens?

----------

Yeah its now happening constantly. I can clearly see the top of the safari toolbar when i am playing a video now. Great… Not happy in the slightest. Why has this suddenly happened? I've had no issues since i bought the laptop.

2. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

You must have the LG screen.

Take it to Apple, they do the IR (image retention) test with a checkerboard.

If yours fails the test, then they will replace it.

3. Lexical, May 19, 2013
    Last edited: May 19, 2013

Lexical thread starter macrumors regular

That was only after a few minutes. You can clearly see the outline of the news page on the background….

Such a hassle sigh.

4. Entopia7 macrumors regular

You can't actually see ghosting in a screenshot. It's a mechanical issue.

That said, I just had my screen replaced in my 15" retina yesterday. I bought it last August, and the ghosting, while always very slight, got much worse in the past month. Took it in, genius watched me reproduce the ghosting, and he put it straight in for a repair.

Had it back in two days, Samsung display. Looks excellent, warmer color temp. than the LG I had originally, but I'll take it. You won't have trouble getting it replaced.

5. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

I hope you're kidding about posting a screenshot to show an issue with hardware.

Just a little funny hah

6. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

7. Lexical thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry, as this is my first time with this problem and not knowing much about it i didn't realise you couldn't capture the problem with a screenshot.

I don't know how to run the test no. The fact that the IR appears after only a minute means the problem is pretty bad i suppose, but its only today I've noticed it for the first time.

8. Lexical thread starter macrumors regular

Just searched it and ran the command line. Yep, its an LG.

Going to call Apple tomorrow. Just so much hassle, considering my nearest apple store is over an hours drive. I suspect they won't change the panel while i wait they'll need it for a couple of days or whatever.

9. Lexical thread starter macrumors regular

IMG_2722.jpg
    IMG_2723.jpg
    Just took these pictures with my phone… Even though its not great quality you can clearly see how bad the ghosting is. Made an appointment for saturday...

10. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

11. Lexical thread starter macrumors regular

Well hopefully i won't have any trouble getting it replaced… But do they always replace with Samsung screens?

Im a bit annoyed that I'm going to have to take it there, drop it off, and then come back and collect it again later on. Considering my nearest apple store is an hours drive and last time i went they treated me like crap, I'm not holding out much hope.

12. chrisrosemusic1 macrumors 6502a

chrisrosemusic1

Yeah that's **** man. They should replace it with a Samsung as the LG's are notoriously bad and they won't want you going back a second time!

These retina displays are nice but I'm having issues with my 13" atm too. Think we've bought in to a technology that's not really able to cope yet.

13. klover macrumors 6502a

LG, the merger of previously stellar brands Lucky and Goldstar. Lol

14. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

I don't think getting a Samsung is a sure thing, but lets hope I'm wrong!:rolleyes:

15. hansenc macrumors 6502

hansenc

I was in the Apple store for iPhone repair and I talked to the guy about the ghosting issues I have with my Mac, they didn't seem surprised at all and was willing to replace (sure it had to fail their test). Biggest problem is that its a 3-5 day repair.

Has anyone had luck doing a depot repair and getting the system back quicker?

16. ColdCase, May 22, 2013
    Last edited: May 23, 2013

ColdCase macrumors 68030

But just about every high end highly rated monitor has a LG screen. The ATD is LG. Dunno what the issue is with the retina screen application. The newer SA2s don't seem to be ghosting.

Hey... wait.. I just noticed my 10 year old Apple cinema display is ghosting... think I should return it :).

17. rusinc macrumors newbie

I have 2012 macbook retina with LG display. I read a lot of information about samsung vs lg. For example - samsung display have problem with yellow and also 1 guy said LG have a better contrast.
    At the beggining I was unhappy, but then I stop pay attention about ghost problem.
    Apple already post information about image persistence: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5455 :apple:

18. RussellJones macrumors member

got mine back in the same day, im in the uk though, i guess it depends how busy the apple store is near you

19. racer1441 macrumors 68000

Call apple. They'll send you a box, you ship the laptop to them, they fix it and ship it back.

20. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

People here saids will get worst eventually; if yours is close to be 1 year old suggest you try to have the screen replaced while in warranty.

21. pshifrin macrumors 6502

pshifrin

I have a 2.6/16/512 with an LGv1 that developed really bad IR very quickly. No IR for the first 5 months then all of a sudden it was horrible. Last monday I brought it into an apple store and they agreed to replace screen without question. Received laptop back 4 days later with a Samsung screen. It did look a little more yellow than the LG but that was taken care of quickly with the calibrated icc profile someone posted here. Very happy now.

22. pedrofan macrumors 6502

I had the LG display (with image retention) and apple replaced it for a Samsung...

The LG is brighter, and has better native white point. It looks a lot better overall. But it has Image retention.

I exchanged it for a Samsung thinking it was going to be better but for me it is worse.

Samsung is so yellow that safari's gray bars looks brown, and if you calibrate it it gets even more darker. And I don't know why but the apple logo in the back looks pinkish now.

....... we are beta testers .......

23. sick z33 macrumors 6502

I have a 6 month old RMBP 15'' with LG screen and have not had any IR issues. Maybe I should run the test a bit longer to see.

24. ProMod macrumors 6502a

I think I'd rather have an LG with slight IR than a Samsung with worse contrast, black levels, and uneven tint/backlighting.

25. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

I guess you should be referring to a defective Samsung display, since mine is nothing like that. I changed my non IR SJA1 rMBP for my current one to avoid potential future IR issues, but would say that other than being a little yellowish originally (already corrected through calibration) it does nit have anything to envy from the LG.