Sigma 24-70mm HSM vs Canon 24-70mm L, review.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by CrackedButter, Jun 29, 2010.

1. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

I've finally started to upload my review of both of these lenses. If anybody is interested, then Part one is up now on my blog. It just discusses the physical differences between the two at the moment. Lens tests are coming.

2. CrackedButter thread starter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

Parts 2-4 are now up. This took longer than I thought. Bokeh and Conclusion are the 2 final parts. I just need to get hold of another Canon 24-70 L lens again for the bokeh test.

3. Edge100 macrumors 68000

Took a look at the site but couldn't find the conclusion.

I'm definitely in the market for a new 24-70, and I've been seriously considering the Sigma.

Anxiously awaiting your conclusions...

P.S. Is there any way you can post larger image sizes on the samples? It's difficult to see critical differences with the small images you've posted.

4. CrackedButter thread starter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

I'll put out a conclusion this week. With regard to the images, did you click them twice. Word press downsizes them to begin with.

5. Edge100 macrumors 68000

Thanks.

I'm particularly interested in focus issues (obviously) and sharpness at f/2.8 at both ends of the zoom.

6. CrackedButter thread starter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

I've finished and uploaded the last parts of the review.

As I've stated in the Introduction, I haven't had focusing issues with the Sigma HSM, as far as I'm concerned it's just as capable as Canon's USM focusing system. I am using a 1D series body now and my 1Ds mk2 is amazing for locking focus. I had more focusing issues with the 5D and the Canon 24-70L.

Hope this helps?

7. Edge100 macrumors 68000

Thanks. Awesome review.

I'm a bit surprised at how soft the Sigma was at f/2.8, since I had seen other reviews and images that suggested that the Sigma was sharper than the Canon. Perhaps copy to copy variation (which is not uncommon for Sigma). Did you actually do an AF accuracy test (perhaps I just missed it in my first reading).

Anyway, thanks for this. There's a used Canon in my local shop for a decent price, so it looks like I might just go that way.

8. CrackedButter thread starter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

I didn't do an AF accuracy test. Maybe your theory of copy to copy variation is true, but I can't say I'm suffering. I am really happy with it. Thanks for reading it.