Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM for Nikon

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by puckhead193, Dec 6, 2010.

1. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

So B&H has this lens for sale for $1350. While I always wanted the nikon version its a steep price for someone who uses it as a hobby.
    Does anyone have experience with Sigma lenses/this particular lens or even the non OS version? The non OS version got some decent reviews i found but the non OS version got mixed.
    Is it worth the money?

thanks

link for those interested - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/689579-REG/Sigma_589306_70_200mm_f_2_8_EX_DG.html

2. RebootD macrumors 6502a

RebootD

I have several non-Nikon lenses for my D300 but not a single sigma. I never had luck with them, just a personal preference.

If you can get to a local camera shop that has the Nikon and Sigma ask if you can bring your camera, or if they have a demo. so you can play around and see if the saved money = worth sacrificing the construction/optics/af speed of the Nikon.

Once you get above a grand for a lens you may just want to keep saving for the Nikon 70-200 or even try to find a used VRI model on B&H or Adorama for much cheaper.

EDIT: Just found this on Adorama.com, VR1 DEMO which means barely touched for $1,699 http://www.adorama.com/US 415940.html

3. mark459 macrumors newbie

Nikon 80-200 F2.8D

I have this lens. It focuses about as fast as the current latest and greatest G, AF-S, series lens. I would take a Nikon lens over a generic any day. Image stabilization is only needed if you are shooting at slower shutter speeds, if you are going to shoot sports or in the day light the image stabilization isn't needed. Here is Ken's review, I know sometimes he is very opinionated but his review is spot on with what I have to say about the lens.