Sign On To Google Talk With iChat Now (Or Any Other Jabber C...

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
I'm trying it now with Adium and I can't get it to work yet. Anybody else having any luck?

EDIT: Nevermind, I quit Adium and restarted it and its working now :D

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
Abstract said:
I don't need another service to offer me IM. I need a Mac program that offers me video IM without using AOL or whatever. And Mercury sucks.
I don't really need one either. I just wanted to see if it would work. Nobody has it yet anyway so its not like I can talk to anyone on the network. Its just fun to know I can do it :D

winmacguy

macrumors 68020
Nov 8, 2003
New Zealand
I would be interested to see how good it is as it may be something I could suggest for using at work for some of our international calls between OZ and NZ (intra-company)

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
xtbfx said:
Can't get iChat to connect.. hmmm.
I got iChat to work too, make sure when you creat a new account you choose Jabber in the account type and type in the correct server settings.

EDIT: beat me to it. good job.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
I really hope Google add video conference to this ( and why not - to really compete against other services).

Google have had a good record of supporting Macs, so hopefully any video additions will be included in a Mac version.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
So, how do I get an account? I'm not a U.S.A. resident, I don't have a mobile phone, I don't have a Gmail account either.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
Yvan256 said:
So, how do I get an account? I'm not a U.S.A. resident, I don't have a mobile phone, I don't have a Gmail account either.
I'd say the easiest way would be to get a Gmail account, which could be technically called a Google account, because it can be used for other things besides just Gmail and Google Talk. PM me if you need an invite.

Bern

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2004
Australia
GoogleTalk now available !

If you have a Gmail account GoogleTalk is now available.

You can either use iChat or Adium to chat with your Gmail friends.

[Note from moderator: threads have been merged.]

jholzner

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Champaign, IL
Abstract said:
I don't need another service to offer me IM. I need a Mac program that offers me video IM without using AOL or whatever. And Mercury sucks.

I agree that we all have aim, msn yahoo etc... However, I think this is great in that it is completely opened. You can use any client. This IS what we need and I hope it catches on but I think it will take a while. I hope Apple really gets behind this.

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
w00t! seems like quite an awesome client, and being able to use it with jabber clients is really cool! too bad no one has it yet though :p

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Raven VII said:
Wow. This is wild! Let's see how Google fares against AIM and MSN. It works flawlessly on iChat too. Too bad my buddylist is empty :(
They should do pretty good, since it's based on an open platform (Jabber) that is compatible with AIM, MSN, Yahoo, etc. The good thing is that you only need 1 account to talk to everyone, and if you have a GMail address you'll never forget your login info...

Jabber support in iChat seems good, I actually have another Jabber account that I just set up. I'm not a chronic chatter though, don't know what fancy features might be missing, etc.

EDIT- I haven't found any mention of gateways to other IM protocols, hopefully they'll set that up soon-

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
Yeah, iChat's Jabber compatibility seems to be pretty damn good. It's pretty no-frills, though.

If anyone wants to chat with someone using this, hit up ravenvii!

tangerineyum

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2005
Ontario, CA
Add me as another person who has signed up, but alas has no jabber buddies to chat with. Um Im tangerineyum@gmail.com and i guess u can take what ever information from that to use at your discretion.

Also i think its time the gmail pay it foward thread should be found so that fellow MacRumors folk can share in the fun. You need a Gmail invite ? Just PM me ! :)

RoadKill

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2003
LONDON UK