Sign This Petition to Stop Uganda's 'Kill the Gays Bill'

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by appleguy123, May 10, 2011.

1. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

2. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

3. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

African nations, slipping even further into barbarianism :rolleyes:

4. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Signed it.

Makes me wonder though- Does the President of Uganda really care what a bunch of westerners think?

5. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Of course not. Which is why this petition is utterly pointless. I don't care what these morons do within their own countries, as long as they don't form terrorist groups and try to kill westerners. Maybe if we're lucky they will all kill eachother off.

6. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

If anything its a consequence of colonialism.

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

No but maybe pressure from governments that send aid could help.

8. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

He probably doesn't care too much, but if enough westerners get upset and start lobbying their governments to cut off foreign aid then he might start to care.

9. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

I fully support ending foreign aid to ludicrous governments like this.

Also raises another question though- In a "Developing" country such as Uganda, I imagine there is quite a bit of lawlessness. I also imagine that if the controlling government is trying to do something like this, it must have SOME support in the population.

Would pressuring the government via aid threats do a darn thing to change their mindsets? Or will the Ugandan people (who support this bill) continue right on with this insane way of thinking?

10. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

They'll probably care when people start lobbying to cut of their foreign aid.
    As to the second part of your posts, I find your lack of empathy disturbing. People are being killed for who they are. Sometimes I can't even believe that every country is in the year 2011.

11. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

bingo that is how it can be stop right there. Simple put if it is pass the major countries start doing an economic and aid embargo. Very quick way to force it to change.

12. edifyingGerbil macrumors regular

This petition is also a trifle hypocritical because it ignores the situation in Iran, Afghanistan, Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, etc.

I wonder if Uganda was chosen because it's a Christian country as opposed to Muslim majority. We all know what big ***** cats the Christians are :D

13. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

The difference is that those countries haven't made homosexuality more illegal recently.

Also homosexuality is legal in Iraq.

14. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

It's not hypocritical. We need to pressure these groups quickly because this bill could be passed in as little as 48 hours.

15. edifyingGerbil macrumors regular

Oh right, I wasn't aware there was a statute of limitations on when human rights abuses were unacceptable. I shall bear that in mind in future when I choose which battles to fight. Thanks for the heads up.

As for your other point

Freedom of conscience is technically legal in Afghanistan but there is a clause in the constitution that says any law which contravenes Sharia law shall be superseded by Sharia law, thus there is a death penalty for apostasy (leaving the islamic faith). I'm sure Iraq has a similar clause, either statutory or de facto.

16. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

The point is that Uganda is in danger of being on the point of joining and adding to the ranks of those abrogating their accession to the UN Universal Human Rights charter. The fewer countries in that group, the better. Certainly those who already contravene it should be tackled too, but that does not preclude preventing more from joining the opposition.

17. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Yeah! Screw everyone who isn't a westerner! Who cares how many people die so long as they don't try and kill us!

What a ridiculous opinion. :rolleyes:

18. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Other people are only worth three fifths as much. Didn't you get the memo?

19. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

We're not screwing them, they're screwing themselves. And yeah, i really don't care. If they want to continue to live like barbarians, its their business, as long as they don't spread their trash through the rest of the world like the arabs do.

20. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Probably two of the most offensive and foolish generalisations I have seen here.

21. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

The truth hurts, eh? How exactly are they generalizations? It's the unfortunate truth. The entire population of the western hemisphere can sign this little petition, and you know what? It won't do a damn thing. Change comes from within, and it can't be forced by outsiders. Maybe in a couple of centuries, the people of africa will decide to join the 23rd century. You can send them aid money until you go broke, but it will do nothing. It will go to their corrupt "politicians" and be used to commit more genocide. I'm done feeling sorry for these people, this continent has not been prosperous since the beginning of time.(Of course many like to blame that on the white man) Wouldn't be surprised if it never changes.

22. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

It was so ludicrous I actually smiled. Fortunately, it's a minority opinion.

Do our opinions count though? Neither of us are 'mericuns.

23. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

I don't think it is...
    Also, neither of you have explained what ludicrous about it.

Yeah, exactly :rolleyes:

24. torbjoern macrumors 65816

torbjoern

I will certainly NOT sign such an islamophobic petition. :cool:

25. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Saying you don't care that Uganda is probably going to make homosexuality punishable by death is ludicrous. I'm willing to bet the vast majority of people would care.

I'm not saying this petition is going to have much effect, but that doesn't mean I don't care that real people like you or me could be executed just for being gay.