Signal Jam?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by econoar, Nov 8, 2011.

1. econoar macrumors regular

Over the past week or so my iPhone 4S signal has started to "jam" occasionally. It will show that I still have signal, but the bars won't fluctuate and I can't use any data. Usually switching airplane mode off and back on doesn't help either. I have to completely power the device off and back on. Sometimes if I wait 5 minutes or so, it'll come back to life.

Has anyone else had a similar issue?

2. The Tos macrumors 6502a

I have had this happen also. Only on 3G, never on WIFI. Only fix is usually restarting my 4s. Frustrating.

3. econoar thread starter macrumors regular

I plan to take it in today for a replacement.

4. The Tos macrumors 6502a

i already have a replacment. Issue is still there.

5. danish1542 macrumors member

had mine replaced for the same issue and still having the same issue with the replacement...

6. Joey Mi macrumors newbie

happens to me the full work day inside my office building

7. The Tos macrumors 6502a

Yea mine also only seems to have issues inside my office. Same with battery issues.

8. OW22 macrumors 6502

OW22

This seems to be a widespread issue. It's a big discussion on Apple Discussions

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3396554?start=0&tstart=0

Users from around the globe are reporting this. I'm on the Meteor network in Ireland and it's the same thing. Phone shows 4- 5 bars at times but on occasion, if I try to SMS or make a call, nothing. Phone will then drop off the coverage saying no service and will then start searching and will hook back up to the network then.

Some users speculating this is a baseband issue, he showed the diagnostics report showing this.

The question is, is this a widespread issue or is it a particular batch of phones that have a fault? There are clearly phones that don't have this issue, or maybe users haven't found this issue out yet

9. jcorbin macrumors 6502a

what network are you guys on?

it might be helpful to see if its GSM or CDMA

also it could be the 2 antenna's switching back and forth. maybe its getting stuck on one of them or something

10. ApplesAndOrangs macrumors regular

11. ZipZap macrumors 603

Skynet is merely testing its control systems.

No need to worry.

:eek:

12. Ksizzle9 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I would think the upcoming 5.0.1 has quite a few issues to fix. This is just yet another one. I haven't experienced it on my vzw iPhone but my fam has AT&T and they have had this. Maybe just a small difference in there firmwares. Hell, I may see this any minute now.

13. mofei1 macrumors regular

I had this problem with my 4s on ios5. I installed 5.0.1 beta 2 and can confirm this issue is fixed.

14. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

This happened once for me, showed 4 bars 3G but couldn't pull any data. After I restarted it was working again.

And apparently it was in that state for a while as when I restarted I had a bunch of email that it had missed.

Hasn't happened since then, at least that I know of.

15. NVD macrumors member

NVD

I'm also experiencing this problem 3 or 4 times a day; it's very annoying.

16. flashflooder macrumors 6502

Same problem daily on my 4S.

Extremely annoying. I've had nothing but problems with this phone (yellow screen, **** battery, and this problem). Should've just kept my 4.

17. econoar thread starter macrumors regular

Anyone resolve this? It still happens to me in 5.0.1 and after talking and trying everything with AT&T and Apple. I just can't figure it out. I love in Boston and work in Providence and it does seem to happen more often during the day in Providence.

18. Boen macrumors member

Had a friend with a similar problem. If I remember right, he said the genius bar just did a "reset all settings" and that worked for him.

19. Shadowbech macrumors 601

Yes I had this similar issue few days back but for me turning on/off airplane mode fixes my issue. I even popped the same sim to my iphone 4 to see if it was the network issue or the phones, and clearly it was the network issue as my iphone 4 did the same.