Signs of up and coming G5?

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by MacManiac1224, May 11, 2002.

  1. MacManiac1224 macrumors regular

    Oct 21, 2001
    Ok, Apple just released a rebate program with it's current Powermacs, not something to laugh at, we are talking 200-300 dollars here. Anyway, what could this mean for MWNY? It ends July 7, 2002. Could this mean upgraded Powermac G4's, or new Powermac G5's? Whatever it is, it means something radically different then what we got now. Personally: I am thinking G5's, just a hunch though. I think it would be perfect timing for them to release G5's, becasue then Apple would have the first consumer 64-bit chip, and could then claim they have a new supercomputer, and then talk about the gigahertz myth. If not, these new G4's better be something radical, becasue Powermac sales are far down, and Intel just released a 2.5ghz chip with a 533mhz motherboard. So Apple better get on the ball,

    What do you guys think?
  2. mymemory macrumors 68020


    May 9, 2001
    One one hand, we have been waiting for a looooong time for a real upgrade rather than stay behind. What we are really are gonna see is if Apple is dealing with a merchandising technique and make us wait for a big surprise or on the other hand, if we do not get G5's Apple is going to show us we are really behind in technology.

    That is the big issue in the next Mac World, or Apple finally show the stuff or show that there is not suff at all.

    Now, the rebate is big and that can be for two reasons:
    1. To really kill the existing inventory for a new line.
    2. Including #1, may be the Powermac G4 is not selling it self that well after all and the rebate have to be bigger this time.

    Based on my experience, still too soon to know something about it. May be there is a G5 but there are not signs of that technology around.
  3. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030


    Sep 13, 2001
    Portland, OR

    ...there will be a G5. The question is when. Personally, I think that a new mobo for the G4 is still more likely (check out the Altivec programming thread on the arstechnica mac forums for how much of a speed boost that would give), but we have been waiting quite a while for the G5. Right now I'm leaning 70% new G4 mobo, 30% G5. If the G5 doesn't come out at MWNY, I can almost guarantee that it'll be out at or before MWSF.
  4. alex_ant macrumors 68020


    Feb 5, 2002
    All up in your bidness
    I'm going to go out on a limb again and predict that there won't be a G5, but rather there will be something else instead. I don't know when, and I don't know what it will be, but something just seems fishy about the whole G5 thing to me.
  5. Hemingray macrumors 68030


    Jan 9, 2002
    Ha ha haaa!
    I would absolutely love it if nobody, and I mean NOBODY, bought the G4's from now until July. Send a REAL message to Apple... :cool:
  6. lucs macrumors member

    May 2, 2002

    Yah, i agree with that catfish dude, i don't think we are gonna have g5s right it is painful, but we must hang on....

    but that does not mean that the new powermac line will be weak: on the contrary, i believe it is gonna be substantially faster with DDR ram, faster bus speeds....maybe even L4 cache :p ...

    well, i guess lots of other rumors will come up until MWNY

Share This Page