SIII launching in US tommorrow. Too early for an Apple anouncement?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Indy21, Jun 20, 2012.

1. Indy21 macrumors 6502

So the Galaxy SIII comes out in the US tommorrow right?

Would Apple anounce a date for the fall event tommorrow in an attempt to thwart sales of the new device, which obviously people are taking notice of?

Although you could say that doesn't matter because most people that are in "the know" about the latest and greatest phones being released have already long pre-ordered and there's no backing out now. Then there's the crowd that doesn't really care and will just stumble in and find the SIII and buy it with no knowledge of Apple events taking place at all anyways.

Also, the SIII has been released in other countries so far correct? Why wouldn't Apple have cared enough to make any sort of announcement then?

Apple did try and slow down the process of releasing the new Samsung into the US, remember the article? I'll find a link if I can, it's from a few weeks ago I think. Obviously SOMEONE in Cupertino is a little concerned!

The simple fact of if Apple just released the date of a new event coming this fall tommorrow would definately peak some interest and have supposed converts saying, "hey, whoa whoaaaa, what is this all about, wait a d*** minute now" lol

Just a thought, maybe it's ridiculous to even think they care enough to do anything at all...like i said....just a thought.

All I can say is, Apple, Bring it On! I'm still rocking a shattered screen 3GS that I bought on release day. lol (screen shattered since last October btw)

Thoughts?

2. sentinelsx macrumors 68010

Apple is not going to annouce a date and make people stop buying the 4S. They want to maximize the sales of their older unit before the new one pops.

As for the S3, well it is no doubt a great phone and i will be getting it too for sure, but I don't think Apple is so worried they will try to use an announcement to thwart the sales lol.

3. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

Seriously? WWDC was last week.

Apple is not going to make some surprise announcement about a "new" iPhone in an attempt to thwart sales of the SIII. It's not what they do.

4. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Not Apple's style.

If you are in the market for an SIII just wait till Apple launches the next iPhone.

Between android's famed depreciation, and demand for the iPhone resulting in a massive sell off, you'll be able to get a One X or GSIII for peanuts on the used market.

5. Indy21 thread starter macrumors 6502

Not a suprise announcement about the iPhone but an "event", which you and I both know would be for the new iPhone, hehe.

I know, it's crazy to think they would say anything considering they just came off a big week with WWDC.

Hmmm, maybe that was in Samsung's evil plan, there's no way Apple can touch us with anything that close afterwards.

SIII is a tempting device but I'm holding out baby.

6. PDFierro macrumors 68040

They wouldn't do that, either. Apple will announce their event at the usual time.

7. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Not Apple's style to announce events way before schedule maybe, but it's definitely Apple's style to try and take the limelight away from their competitors. Still, too early IMO.

8. Indy21 thread starter macrumors 6502

Which is...? (j/k)

They usually announce these shows when, about a month out I believe? Which would rule out my idea.

9. pk7 macrumors 6502

Nope. For product launches, Apple issues press invites about 1-1.5 weeks before an event at max.

10. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

I would've completely agreed with what you said here except I'm not so sure the "famed depreciation" still applies as it used to after seeing what phones are going for over on Xda. I think the cheapest I've seen a HOX go for recently was around $400 (locked to AT&T). Heck, the Skyrockets are still going for well over $300.

That being said, I do agree that if you want the GSIII (as I do), you should wait a month or two (believe me, it isn't easy). I firmly believe you'll easily be able to pick up a GSIII for around $400 then. I'm still thinking about picking one up at full price, though, and I've already sold my GSII in preparation for that. But I may just wait it out and see how the prices go over the next month or so. That would be the smart thing to do...although I've never been accused of always taking that route...LOL.

11. nfl46 macrumors 604

Most people are aware Apple doesn't yearly releases. No need to rush an announcement. Not that they would anyway.

12. mbell1975 macrumors 6502a

If you are waiting a few more months, wait for the Razr HD, its going to be a better device.

13. Sensamic, Jun 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2012

Sensamic macrumors 68030

Today I played a lot of time with the SGS3 quad core and man, it completely changed my mind. I was waiting for the next iPhone but Im pretty sure in the next few days Im gonna buy one.

Its weird that now I see my iPhone 4 like very old tech. Maybe it was the huge screen or how thin the device is, two key points for me. It was really fast (much more than my 4. Web pages loaded super fast and I only saw minor lag in the maps app), really nice and bright screen (Id say much much better than the iPhone 4. It was more vibrant and HD was great).

I also liked how fast and responsive the keyboard was. To me the iPhones keyboard was unbeatable, until now. Now my keyboard seems slower and really small. What really sold it for me was the speech recognition in ICS. It typed excatcly what I said in a very loud and crowded place, which was really impressive.

I played the game Cut the Rope in HD and it was like 100 times better than on iOS, because of the big screen and HD. It was like playing with a PSP. Really cool.

Now that I have tried it I can say Google Maps in Android is just unbeatable. It was gold. Also the Youtube app was like 10 times faster to load videos than on my iPhone 4, plus it had HD videos. I saw an HD video of a videogame and it looked great on that HD screen.

There was also some negative points. The web browser is faster than on iOS but not better at rendering some web pages, where some imagen where like out of place. Google results pages looked really really tiny. Maybe with another browser like Opera, Chrome or Firefox it will work better. Also the springboard crashed on me several times due to a bug when creating folders in the app drawer.

Those where my only two complaints. I guess the bug will be fixed sometime. Even with those bugs the experience with the phone was really great and it convinced me if buying it If I can previously sell my iPhone 4.

Overall Id say Android is a more powerful OS and iOS a nicer looking and easier OS. Both are great in many ways. Ill miss iCloud, the better quality apps and games and iTunes, but such a great thin device with an amazing screen is something really irresspistible, and the 4 inch taller screen of the next iPhone doesnt convince me at all.

14. Frankied22 macrumors 68000

Frankied22

I'm gonna play with one once the dang thing gets in local stores

15. Vegastouch, Jun 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2012

Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

I wouldnt say that. Possibly for the first time you may see an Android phone sell out fast. T-Mobile is having two launch dates. Tomorrow for 29 select markets(not sur how they came up with those 29) and then the rest on June 27th. To buy it outright from them it is $629.

Their 16GB GS3 is the most expensive of the all the carriers...which i find stupid since none of the others are offering the 50 gigs of Dropbox,... and a chance to grab some new customers. No mention of how much the 32 GB will be.

Ive been with TMo since 2003 so ill try to get it cheaper but if they dont budge, i may switch carriers.

Im not expecting a iPhone type launch by any means but it should be a real good seller and supplies could go fast this weekend. Ill have to wait at least another week since my area isnt in the 29 named.

16. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Fixed that for you.

17. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

how many times does it need to be said, guys? It is a fact that announcing a gadget too early is bad for sales. A fact. You can do it once, when you first introduce the line (like the first iPhone) and after that it is a terrible, money sucking idea. Apple is crazy rich. They know what they're doing when it comes to this stuff.

So in short, no, not a chance they will announce the next phone or even the unavailing event tomorrow.

18. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

We already know there is going to an iPhone fall event...well we don't have proof, but we do know. Apple doesn't need to promote the next iPhone at all. The media, tech sites, blogs, and rumors do more iPhone advertising then every cell phone commercial combined. And this is exactly how apple and SJ dreamed it could be. Rather ingenious if u think about it. Even if apple never announced the next iPhone, and never ran one commercial, and just secretly and subtly put it on sale, word would spread like wildfire and it would still break sales records. How many other companies could do that?

No way apple would screw up and announce a future "secret" fall event because a competitor device is being launched.

19. mbell1975 macrumors 6502a

First time? I waited in line with a few hundred people for about 10 hours to get the HTC Evo from Sprint the day it came out. They had so many activations that morning, it crashed Sprints retail system all over the US and you couldn't find an Evo for weeks after the first day. I had a MUCH easier time getting a 4s on launch day. The Droid Incredible was the same way, as were a bunch of other Android phones last few years. You just never hear about them in iPhone land because they don't have an Apple logo on them...

20. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

Not with verizon and soon att killing unlimited data plans with subsidy upgrades. The used market for the best 4G phones is going to be stronger than ever and when the 4G LTE iPhone is released people will be making huge profits on it.

21. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

I stand corrected. I never had an Evo. Just trying to say there is hype for this phone and i do like that Samsung didnt give the US carriers their own version.

22. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

I remember the Evo launch. It was freaking nuts. You couldnt find an Evo for months. It was also the best selling android phone for two years in a row.

I don't think we will ever see an android feeding frenzy like that again.

23. mbell1975 macrumors 6502a

Yeah considering the galaxy S2 sold over 40 million units this one should do pretty well too