Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Silicone or Plastic

• Total voters

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Original poster
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
I hate how silicone cases catch the inside of your pocket sometimes but some plastic cases actually make the phone more slippery for me.

what type do you prefer and why

koigirl

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2011
Raleigh, NC
My favorite case for iPhone 5s for every day use was Belkin Candy Grip Sheer which was actually a semi-rigid TPU see-through material that had good grip and provided some resilience in drops but felt smooth and did not grab pockets, collect lint,etc. The TPU material didn't get scratched or grimy-looking with hard use so I prefer it to silicone or hard poly cases. I am hoping Belkin introduces this same case for iphone 6 Plus in the next few weeks.

Last edited:

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
Depends on the type of Silicone. The floppy sticky type? Not a fan at all. The type used on the Apple silicon cases? (which is a soft-touch design that adds a little grip but not much). I really like it.

Not a huge fan of many hard plastic cases, though if designed right, I like them a lot. I used the Apple leather case on my 5S, along with an Incipio TPU case that I also liked a lot. For my 6 I have the Apple silicone case, which will likely be my primary for a while. I also have a Spigen Neo Hybrid which is OK, but will be more a change of pace case. I also just ordered an Elago Duro, which is rubber and plastic, for times I need more durability. Not sure if it's silicone or TPU.

ArkieBiker

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2014
Arkansas
My favorite case of all time is the Grovemade cases made out of WOOD. Love them...unfortunately though they are no longer offering "custom" engraving on the wood. I will say though...their cases are TOP NOTCH and extremely durable. They offer only MINIMAL shock protection (very minimal), but they slide into pockets much better...more resistance than plastic but MUCH smoother than rubber or silicone!

There are now several WOOD case makers out there...Grovemade.com, Carved.com and several from China on eBay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.