Silent icon on I phone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Gdoubleu, May 4, 2012.

1. Gdoubleu macrumors newbie

When will Apple get of their cores and put a icon on the iphone screen that shows you the silent status without having to look at the switch on the side or flick it on and off to get the status.
    What is wrong with having a symbol on the front screen that shows you when silent is activated
    So many people call for it but they are just not responsive for some reason (its not like it would be hard to do)
    They spend a little too much time telling you how wonderful they are without doing a few enhancements that would make the Apple experience sweeter
    Gdoubleu

2. WilliamG macrumors 604

Agreed. Jailbreakers can have a little bell symbol next to the battery bar. Very handy. It's something long overdue in the base OS.

3. DroidRules macrumors 65816

Sorry but if it's to much work for you to slightly turn your phone as to see the silent switch and what position it's in a little picture isn't going to help. you will still have to perform some type of action to see the picture so I think you're screwed.

4. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

Remember, as much as people complain on here, it doesn't do a damn thing. Apple does not read macrumors forums. Well, at least not to get our suggestions.

5. Gdoubleu thread starter macrumors newbie

Again a sarcastic response, it would be helpful to have picture so that in a movie or something you can see in the dark and also more importantly a notification on the screen would highlight if you have accidentally put the silent function on ...but you wont understand want to argue rather than make sensible suggestions

6. DroidRules macrumors 65816

Sorry but it makes no sense. I'm not saying the anal in the iPhone world believe they need such an icon but if you can't, like I said tilt the phone, feel which way the switch is, ect ect then what good is a little icon going to do you?

I just "accidentally" put my phone on vibrate and guess what???? It vibrated! It gave me a 'notification".
    Sorry you don't like my response to your posts but for every example you gave as to why you need it, I gave you one that basically says you don't. But hey, if it would make your experience better I say Apple should do it. ;)

7. conartist4u macrumors regular

conartist4u

How many phones do you see with a dedicated silent toggle switch? :D
    We are too quick to judge manufacturers. They listen to the masses not individual demands for this and that. (not being sarcastic)

You would`nt be posting a thread if you`d jailbreak your iphone to unleash its potential (thats sarcasm baby)

If you decide to listen any further, JB your iPhone, dont worry about the warranty and all that cockamania. then install statusbar tweaks, sbsettings, bbsettings, springtomize 2 and intellisceenx. you will thank me for good. I am assuming you are on ios 5. Good luck with your hissy fits.

:D

8. 3bs, May 5, 2012
    Last edited: May 5, 2012

3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Ignore DroidRules. It would be a great feature to have. It is annoying to have to tilt your phone and some of us don't have vibrate on so you won't get notified with a vibrate and no I don't want to turn vubrate on just so I can be notified. Apple allows us to hide the battery percentage so they could do the same for a mute status bar icon.

I agree. Jailbreak! Just backup beforehand and if you don't like it then restore. It'll be like you never jailbroke your phone. IntelliScreenX alone is worth jailbreaking for in my opinion.

What hissy fits are you referring to? The OP has an idea he would like to see implemented. What's wrong with that?

OP here's a screenshot of home screen and the mute status bar icon
    [​IMG]

9. mattkowalski macrumors member

I agree it would be useful to have, but if you run your finger over the switch, you should be able to work it out without needing to take your phone out of your pocket.

10. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Regardless, why can't we have something that makes our lives easier? Sometimes it's not so easy to tell by just touching it and when you have it in your hand why would you touch it when you can just look at the screen? Options are great. Like I said, Apple could add an icon and those who don't want it can turn it off like the battery percentage.

11. mattkowalski macrumors member

It would be down to personal taste. Though personally, I wouldn't find it useful and would prefer not to clutter the bar across the top.

12. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Exactly why I'm suggesting it be optional. I also think other status bar icons should be optional, like the orientation lock (for the people who always or almost always have it locked to portrait), hide the battery icon and only keep the percentage.

13. conartist4u macrumors regular

conartist4u

nice springboard you got there.

I merely elaborated on the fact that there two ways to approach a demand for change. You can`t go around demanding features, however, you can simply ask for improvements to be made. Making a fuss won`t change anything, now will it. Its most probably one line or two lines on the springboard.plist file that changes the status bar but cons are cluttery icons. Rather than waiting for Apple Inc at Cupertino to change, a jailbreak is in order. Most problems are`nt even problems once we discuss it logically. For the record, I see absolutely no utility in an unjailbroken iphone.........We have developers to listen to our Wants, Apple barely hears our needs.

14. cynics macrumors G3

I would love that feature. I have a LP case and there is NO WAY to tell by looking at the phone.

Not saying I couldn't get a different case I would just like this feature. When I first got my iPhone I'd always forget which way the switch went, so in the dark it was very annoying I'd just flip till it buzzed.

15. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

I totally disagree with u. A mute status icon I long overdue. I've silenced my phone a ton of times and then forgot it was silenced. Then I miss calls, texts, etc. until I notice its off. Having an icon on the status bar would immediately show me that my ringer is off. Turning the phone to the side or running my finger across the switch is meaningless if Im not thinking about it. Seeing an icon on the screen would point it out to me even if I wasn't looking for it. And yes, it's a small, simple thing...and it's not a HUGE deal, but it is something that should be there.

16. conartist4u macrumors regular

conartist4u

I am beginning to feel that change is in the air. Is there a chance Apple Geeks browse through these forums for improvements?

A silent icon would`nt hurt. so i guess it should be there too.....