Silk Road

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by renewed, Jun 1, 2011.

1. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Thought this would be of interest because not only does it bring up the topic of should drugs be legalized but also brings up bitcoin currency which has been talked about on this forum previously. Other than that it's just darn interesting.

The Underground Website Where You Can Buy Any Drug Imaginable

2. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

3. barkomatic macrumors 68040

It's as good as gone now that its been publicized. As a buyer, you would have to trust the seller to make sure the drug was undetectable in the envelope. Since this is all completely illegal and clearly run by unethical types, I wouldn't trust them at all.

4. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Sounds like a massive DEA phishing operation to me.

5. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Yes drug users are inherently "unethical" :rolleyes:

6. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Continuing with my thought, I have had cause to modify Wiki's definition of Phishing, as follows.

7. barkomatic macrumors 68040

This story is about people who *sell* drugs and that is who I was referring to. Not every drug comes from a cartel, but many do and the money paid to them goes toward torturing and murdering people. Even a significant amount of the pot supply is now provided by cartels. Not that independent operations are bastions of civilization either mind you.

I sympathize with people who have addictions, but the drug trade is not a victimless crime by any means.

8. renewed thread starter macrumors 68040

renewed

I don't know how unethical they are, they probably just like drugs. The ethics of this could be a whole thread of debate. I do think that since it is publicized it'll eventually get shut down by an undercover operation.

9. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Neither is the car trade. And your tax money goes towards the committal of murder in other countries.

And its hardly drug users fault that our governments have chosen to make the drug trade illegal. Thats the only reason why the drug trade isn't a victim less crime because some parties have chosen to make it criminal :confused:.

Those who use drugs aren't necessarily addicted (and for the most part they aren't). I'll assume you drink from time to time? Well then you must be a drug addled psychopath of poor moral standards. :rolleyes:

10. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I don't know what you're getting at here. You're saying that buying a car is as bad as buying heroin?

Users often think this way because they are trying to shift blame away from themselves--that's how they get through life. Whether or not drugs should or should not be illegal is almost irrelevant -- because they *are* illegal. In the future, perhaps they won't be. However, this is the way of things right now -- and currently entire families get murdered so that people in the U.S. can get high.

It really depends upon the drug. I would say that most regular users of heroin and meth are addicted and most users of pot probably aren't. You can use alcohol in moderation regularly without becoming addicted to it.

I'd say if you compare liquor and pot there is indeed a double standard -- and that we should consider legalizing it. Again though, its not legal and because its not legal cartels are slowly taking over the market. It's not always your neighborhood hipster growing it in his basement. I've already pointed out what the cartels are willing to do to get their products to market.

11. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

In the long term it's probably worse considering environmental impact, global warming and the effects that will have.

Other legal products you might want to look into:

-Diamonds
    -Probably your shoes
    -Fresh produce grown outside of NA (you might be interested in what the banana "cartels have done during the last few decades.
    -Any electronics (China isn't what you'd call a friend to human rights)
    -Oh and the oil you run your car on :rolleyes:
    -Then theres asbestos you know the fire retardant building material which is mined in Canada (and other western nations) and sold to countries like India where it will give hundreds of thousands of people lung cancer.
    http://www.mogulite.com/asbestos-mogul-on-daily-show/

If you want to talk animals

-Most major food companies have a thing or 50 to learn about how to humanely treat the creatures we get milk, eggs and meat from. Along with that they do their own fair share of environmental damage.

In the grand scheme of things buying heroine is probably way less harmful than quite a few of the above.

Welcome to reality it's all about killing people for money and product. Compared to what people do legally the drug cartels are practically the nicest guys on the block.

Entire families have been murdered, governments have been overthrow, wars have been started, cities have been destroyed so that you can drive a car :rolleyes:. What do you think has been happening in the middle east for the last 5 decades.

As for shifting blame I could give a damn I buy pot :eek: from a friend who grows it in his closet. I've got a 3.9 GPA (bio-chem major) and I hold down two jobs, and I've had an awesome girlfriend for 3 years.

My life is totally in shambles :rolleyes:. I prefer smoking to drinking, I don't use chronically and I don't drive when i smoke I'm not remotely interested in shifting any blame to anyone.

Meet the legal drug known as tobacco (or nicotine if you want to talk active ingredients).

http://www.cancer.org/Cancer/CancerCauses/TobaccoCancer/tobacco-related-cancer-fact-sheet

It is legally sold in the United States and the rest of the world, it will kill more people than every drug cartel and terrorist organization on the planet combined. I'ts also more addictive than meth amphetamines and heroine :eek:.

12. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Excellent post.

As for the deaths, just consider them collateral damage.