Silver vs Gold

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Macdude2010, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Macdude2010 macrumors 65816

Macdude2010

Hello everyone,

I am having a really hard time deciding between silver and gold for the iPhone 5S, I originally thought I really liked it, but now looking at it in more detail in pictures, im not so sure. It seems to be a little darker than what I originally thought, and almost a brownish gold in some pictures. However, in some other pictures, its ok. I seem to like it or not based on what photo im looking at. The silver on the other hand, looks really nice, i know I like it, because I have it on my 5 right now. I also need to look at it from a resale perspective too, what will grab more interest. At this point, i'm kinda confused, so I am turning to you guys, please don't complain about this thread, i couldn't find one asking exactly the same question.

2. Iphone5preorder macrumors 6502a

This isn't even a question bro :). Get silver.

/thread.

3. ABC5S macrumors 68040

It depends on the angle, and lighting. Champagne color looks really good, but if you turn it a bit, the light champagne color turns darker. Both colors are what I'm now considering, and would be nice to see one up close, but that won't happen since I will be calling in on the 20th.

For me, by the time the 20th rolls around, I'll probably get the Silver. Good luck with your decision ;)

4. Mrbobb macrumors 601

You mean nobody notice the brownish gold as you did.

What the previous poster says, depends on lighting. Just wait until it comes out, 4 days from now and look at it live then decide. Simple.

Resell value is silly to me but OK, silver is always the safe choice for that purpose.

5. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

Silver looks better IMO but it really is up to you.

6. applhipstr macrumors member

I decided that Gold is too distracting. It's a phone.

I'm going to get the silver even though I already have a silver 5.

The gold just seems too "out there"..

7. LithePanther macrumors 6502

Look at it in real life. Pictures can't help you

8. Macdude2010 thread starter macrumors 65816

Macdude2010

Thanks guys for all the nice responses, I am still leaning back and forth, to tell you the truth, I at first really like the gold, but after looking at hands on pictures and everything, I'm starting to sway back and forth. I would have liked it if it was always the light gold color, but it seems like in less than ideal lighting situations, it looks darker. I think the main thing I really like is the gold home button, I'm not sure about the whole back though...

9. Will2145 macrumors 6502

Will2145

The best thing to do is looking at it in person.

10. Macdude2010 thread starter macrumors 65816

Macdude2010

Theoretically, shouldn't the pictures from the hands on, as well as the videos give an accurate look at the color?

11. oaktree macrumors regular

Either one is nice. You pretty much know what the silver will look like since it is the white iPhone 5. I really think you need to see the gold in person before you decide.

12. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Get the gold. If you don't like it return it and get the silver.

Or just wait until you can see it in person.

13. mac mac mac macrumors regular

Haha I'm having the same problem...couldn't decide if I should get the silver or gold. I like the space gray, but I'm currently have the black/slate iPhone 5 so I want to change it up. My buddy told me to get the gold, but I like the silver more. I wouldn't mind getting a gold, but I think I might not be able to stand it in the long term. Like one poster said, it's a bit tacky and too much "bling" :D

14. LithePanther, Sep 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2013

LithePanther macrumors 6502

Not really. With anything, a picture is always different from how we actually see things.

Well...it might be ACCURATE but it isn't going to be the true color that you see if you'd go to the store

15. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

16. applhipstr macrumors member

The gold isn't natural. It looks so uninspired, for the gold to have worked, they probably would've had to change up the design. But it's faint and not all that appealing.

17. jfreak623 macrumors 6502

i have had the white/silver model for awhile now. i want to change it up so im rolling with gold this time around. looks good in the apple videos.

18. BeeGood macrumors 65816

BeeGood

I am personally going with the Gold because I think it's gorgeous . I really don't care what anyone else thinks about it. I'm buying so I can look at it, not others.

As others have said, make the purchase in person so you can hold both in your hand. Pics/videos are helpful but there is nothing like seeing it in your hand. If you have any doubts about the gold one after that, then get the silver one.

19. terzinator macrumors 6502

I totally thought my design-savvy wife would want the silver, but she said, "I don't know... gold is making a comeback."

I don't know what it means, but I think it's a fashion thing.

Apple probably knows what it means.

And so it goes.

20. scoop2mylue macrumors 6502a

scoop2mylue

21. joshwithachance macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

I personally am a bit obsessed with the gold, so if I decide to pick up a 5s it will definitely be the gold one.

22. James717 macrumors regular

Gold.

It' will rock the fashion statements of all the phones out there!

23. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

Go with which one makes you happiest!

I would go for Gold, it looks awesome.

24. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Space grey. :) but between the two you've posted, silver.

25. HM Apple macrumors member