SIM Card Advice for France and Italy (unlocked iPhone)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by krimedog, Jul 14, 2012.

1. krimedog macrumors member

Hi,

Does anyone have advice on which brand of prepaid SIM card to pick up in the Paris airport that would provide a data plan? I am also going to Italy, is there one SIM that will work both places of should I buy a second in Italy? The trip will be 18 days.

Thanks!

2. Denis54 macrumors member

In France, I had no difficulty getting a micro SIM for my iPad. I walked into a SFR store and 15 minutes later I was all set.

They made a copy of my passport before theft activated my SIM card. Then I bought a prepaid plan and that was it. Very easy process.

Orange is another major supplier in France.

3. krimedog thread starter macrumors member

Great. Are the orange ones compatible in Italy without outrageous fees? I'd like to only need 1 SIM card.

4. almonde macrumors regular

You're going to need separate SIMs for each country. Three, TIM, Wind and Vodafone are in Italy, and all at Rome airport. I got a TIM sim for my Mifi, worked well and had good speeds.

I used Orange Mobicarte for france and found that OK too.

5. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Have a quick look at the "Common limits" table on this Wikipedia page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Commission_roaming_regulations#Common_limits

It lists the legal limits for roaming costs in the EU.

If they're low enough, then you could just use one SIM.

Some carriers charge less than the limit or have cheaper bundles you can buy.

6. ubercool macrumors 6502a

ubercool

I just returned from Italy and it was the easiest experience I have ever had. I will detail my experience in a separate post, so more people can enjoy it. :)