Sim Card for iPhone in USA

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Apple-Stitch, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Apple-Stitch macrumors newbie

Going to Florida on August 1st and have just had my UK iPhone 4 unlocked. I want to be able to goto Florida buy a micro-sim and avoid any excess charges, i'm going to need to be able to make calls to other U.S phones (and text) but also will need some data to use my apps (Facebook and Disney World Wait Times) could anyone suggest any?

2. TheOriginalKi macrumors 6502

I bought a T-Mobile micro sim from Amazon.com before I went to the US last night. I think I spent around $10-$15 on credit. I added data at $1.50 per day if I needed it for Maps etc.

3. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

No 3G for T-mobile in US when used on iPhone.

Only real option would be AT&T and a pre-paid plan.

4. petrucci666 macrumors 6502a

Depending on how long you'll be there, I'd go with StraightTalk. You can buy the sim at walmart or order online. $45 for unlimited all, no contract.

5. bearda macrumors 6502

As of two months ago you couldn't get the SIM in stores, only the refill cards. I don't know if that's changed recently, but StraightTalk still seems to indicate that the only way to get a BYOD SIM is to order online from them. If you're planning on an extended trip it's not a bad service, though. I've been happy with them.

6. petrucci666 macrumors 6502a

Didn't know that, sorry!

I ordered mine online and will get it today, I'm pumped to see how it works!

7. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Online only.

I thought you could buy one in the store as well but they are only available through the internet. ST offers free 3 day shipping but charges quite a lot for overnight shipping.

Perhaps the OP could have it shipped to his hotel?

I love Straight Talk so far. I've only had it for 6 days but connectivity is fine and the data speeds are great. I consistently get 4G where I live.

8. bearda macrumors 6502

It should work fine, it was pretty pain-free for basic calls but getting data and MMS working requires a couple minutes of work. If you have a 4S, a machine that can run the iPhone configuration app, and a T-mobile sim for the MMS fix you're all set.

If you're getting the sim today make sure someone is around to sign for it. StraightTalk is pretty hardcore when it comes to having sign for the FedEx delivery.

9. petrucci666 macrumors 6502a

Being delivered to the office, so we're all good on the signature! :D

Activating today and setting up today, canceling AT&T minutes later!

How should I go about the process?

Insert ST SIM into phone,
    go online,
    port number from AT&T
    buy plan,
    call AT&T and cancel account?

I don't have a contract with AT&T because I've had an unlocked phone since the start.

10. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I switched from Virgin Mobile and after Straight Talk was active, I went to VM's website and was no longer able to log into my old account. Since you had AT&T prepaid, I would think that it work the sme way.

11. bearda macrumors 6502

It's more like:
    Go online and activate SIM, during which they'll ask you for info about the port
    If you have one, put the ST SIM in another phone. The port may take a while to complete, and your AT&T service will continue to work until then. ST will send a text message when it's ready. If you don't have another phone just wait until your AT&T SIM stops working. It took about 45 minutes for me.
    Put the ST SIM in your phone.

You shouldn't have to call AT&T at all (unless something goes wrong with the port). A port out request cancels your account on pretty much any carrier.

12. Apple-Stitch thread starter macrumors newbie

i think i'll need 3g, i'm going from 1st - 25th

13. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Straight Talk

The sim card is $14.99 and the basic plan is $45 so for $60.00 you can get unlimited calling, texting and data for 30 days.

You can order the sim card and the $45 plan direct from Straight Talk. However, as mentioned above, it takes three days for the free shipping option and you have to have someone sign for the package.

14. TheOriginalKi macrumors 6502

2G/Edge internet worked just fine on T-Mobile. Just don't expect to stream video/music! I used the T-Mobile sim for Maps and emails and the odd bit of web.