Sim Card Options for Travel in Germany, Spain, & UK from US with unlocked iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by beatledud, Sep 11, 2012.

1. beatledud macrumors 6502

Looking to travel with my wife in Germany for a week, Spain for 10 days, and UK for 5 days in 2 weeks time. We both have iPhone 4s with AT&T that are out of contract now and can be unlocked.

Question: She starts in Germany and heads to Spain. I start in UK and head to Spain. We both then go back to UK. Is there a good SIM I can buy online that allows us to use voice, texts, data in these 3 countries that I can get before we leave?

2. mellofello macrumors 65816

I was in Europe a few months ago and started a similar thread

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1362140

I ordered a sim from ebay that never showed up. I just ended up using my AT&T phone as normal over there.

My total cost for three weeks was around $150 additional. I had business that I had to attend to while away so I needed reliability. It was more expensive then some plans but ended up paying for itself with the convenience. Using your own number, recieving texts, and calls abroad is great.

The trick is proration. The only charge you for the days out of the month that you use.

My two tips, are to disable voicemail(they charge you one minute of roaming to recieve), and to use skype out to make calls($.02 per minute).

3. beatledud thread starter macrumors 6502

4. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Why do you need to order in advance?
    Why is it so hard to go to a carrier store and pick one up? They can help you choose a plan, figure out coverage areas etc. If you're on a budget, they can probably help you with that too.

When I was in the Rogers store in Westminster, BC picking up my sim, the people there were super nice and made sure my sim was working. The first was a dud, but they exchanged it super quick. If they hadn't tested it, I would've had to go back. Depending on the provider, they may already have micro sims. Since Rogers carried the iphone, they gave me a micro sim and I didn't even have to use my sim cutter.

If you order online, you're not going to get any guarantees that it'll work. It might be a dud for all you know.