SIM card switched from AT&T Treo to AT&T 3G iPhone worked

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jfox00, Jul 29, 2008.

1. jfox00 macrumors member

I have an AT&T Treo 680, which I pulled the SIM card out of and placed into my AT&T iPhone 3G. I was a little surprised it worked, but definitely happy. The SIM in my 3G iphone (I had to activate a new line of service) is now unnecessary, and I'd like to cancel the service I just activated with AT&T (on my iPhone).

The Treo is a clunky device, and I'd like to get rid of it, but simply keep the phone number and service in tact (I don't get the bill for this device).

If I cancel my iPhone service (I know that I have to wait 1 month, and pay the cancellation fee) will the iPhone be "disabled", even if I keep the working Treo SIM card in it?

Thanks!

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

You must wait at least a month, otherwise you will be required to return the iPhone.

TEG

3. yode macrumors 6502

4. jfox00 thread starter macrumors member

Yes, Data works.

Data does work. (I switched off WiFi and made sure).

TEG - yes, I am aware of needing to wait 1 month. That's why I said "I know that I have to wait 1 month".

So, when they cancel the account on my iPhone, will it disable my iPhone completely, or will my Treo SIM still work? That's the question.

5. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

Umm... they'll know your using the Treo SIM in your iPhone and start charging you iPhone data prices.

6. jfox00 thread starter macrumors member

does anyone read anymore?

I'm not worried about costs. I already have a data plan on the Treo - not to mention I already mentioned that I don't get the bill. I should also mention that I don't care about the bill. The bill is not my question.

I'm hoping someone knowledgeable enough to read and answer MY QUESTION will come along. Anyone? Bueller?

7. hanschien macrumors 6502

hanschien

We have been getting a lot of hall monitors in the forums lately...

I don't think the phone will be disabled when you cancel and pay the ETF as long as you still have an active AT&T SIM/Service in it.

8. aneftp macrumors 68040

Yes, you will be able to cancel the newly activated line (the one you bought your new iphone 3g with) after 1 month and just pay the $175 ETC. All ATT SIM cards work with all iphone 3gs (if the prepay ones).

You are already on the $30 smartphone data plan so if ATT "catches" you using you SIM from your Treo in an iPhone 3g, the worst they can do to you is just tell you to switch over to the $30 iphone data plan. Honestly I do not even know why they even have a $30 iphone data plan. Why don't they just say the new iphone 3g is considered a smartphone and charge every smartphone all under one data plan.

In April 200 ATT was supposed to simplfy their data plans (remember they unbundled up the mediamax plan into the $15 medianet plus your choice of SMS text plans? and they also unbundled the PDA plans.

9. mkoesel macrumors regular

Keep in mind you can't get Visual Voice Mail without an iPhone data plan. Not a gigantic loss, but just something to be aware of.

10. jfox00 thread starter macrumors member

excellent - thanks

Looks like the consensus is that the iPhone will work with my other AT&T SIM after I cancel the current iPhone service.

You are correct - I've lost visual voicemail. I'm ok with that.

Thanks everyone.

11. richard371 macrumors 68000

There could be a major problem here!!!!

I am doing the same and will cancel my service on the 31st day. My blacberry sim works fine and I can swap back and forth between Iphone and Blackberry. Here is the problem. When Apple releases updates or you have to do a restore what happens when itunes has to activate it and you have a non Iphone sim in it?

12. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

175 Etf + one month of service estimated at $115 on the cheapest plan.

13. spamdumpster macrumors 6502a

I've been using AT&T blackberry SIM in a 1G iPhone and now in the 3G iPhone (sounds stupid, since blackberry costs more, but work pays for blackberry and not iPhone). I've never had a problem (except no visual voicemail).