Sim Card When Ordering From Apple

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Tarp09GT, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Tarp09GT macrumors member

Like a lot of people I am using someone else's upgrade to get the 5. My bro gets my 4S for free and I get the 5 at subsidized price. I am curious about setting my line up as it relates to the Sim card.

I believe that the sim card that will be shipped with the 5 from Apple will be blank and that when I set the phone up from iCloud backup it will register it to my phone number.

I know that previously when you bought from AT&T the sim was registered with the phone line info.

Can anyone confirm my thought regarding a blank sim from Apple?

Thanks!

2. Tarp09GT thread starter macrumors member

3. daveishere macrumors 6502a

daveishere

Not sure 'blank' sim cards exist. Don't you US folks choose your carrier when ordering your iPhone?

4. Tarp09GT thread starter macrumors member

Yes and that is ok because we are both with AT&T. I just want to make sure it is not preloaded with his number.

5. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Yes and there's a SIM card that comes with the phone is for that specific carrier. No such thing as a blank SIM card.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, the sim will not be blank and icloud has nothing to do with activating the phone under a certain number. iCloud is just for backing up files.
    If you just plug it in and activate it with itunes your brothers sim will deactivate in his phone and the sim inside the i5 will activate using his phone number since that's the line you upgraded it under.
    You will have to call AT&T or go to AT&T to have them activate it under your line.

7. jtp098 macrumors 6502a

There is lots of debate on this. I think it comes attached to the number..I do not remember ever choosing what number i wanted attached to my 4s. I somewhat remember a screen where it said my name and number when i plugged it into itunes after activation..

you can always call att .. http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB411462#fbid=wAmMVjKu8w1

that is what I will do as I do not want to disactivate the others family members sim!

What Applejuiced said above!

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, I'd call them before I attempt anything. I also ordered using another line and doing the swap.
    Give them the imei number and sim card number and have them reconfigure everything on their end.

9. Tarp09GT thread starter macrumors member

Good thing is that my wife's phone (on her upgrade) is on the same shipment so I will get her all set up and see how the process works.

10. benguild macrumors 6502a

I've dealt with this before. AT&T does the following:
    If you buy a 4S or 5 on contract, you *must* activate that phone on the line you use it on before it works. This will *setup the SIM Card that shipped with the phone* to use your plan (or maybe just whichever one is in it at the time) and deactivate the old one.

There is no way around this. The old SIM is garbage and cannot be reused.

I shipped the 4S I bought on contract to some guy I sold it to on eBay and had to remotely activate the phone last year before he could switch the SIM. This deactivated my phone locally and I had to wait until the day after to pickup a new SIM from the AT&T store.

Be careful!