Sim Free or not? I am on Verizon and have no plan to leave.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jaybar, Oct 15, 2015.

1. jaybar macrumors 6502

jaybar

Hi

I got my phone under the Apple Upgrade Program, before the Sim Free version was available. Verizon is my carrier and I don't plan on leaving in the near term.

Is there any advantage to me if having the Sim Free phone? As I understand things, both phones are unlocked. I am still within my return period. However, I have some reluctance to return the phone as my current 6S Plus is without issues. Is there enough advantage to the Sim Free phone, to face the possibility that my new phone will have issues?

2. Jigga macrumors 6502

Band 30 but that's not usable on Verizon anyway.
    Stick with what you have.

3. aesc80 macrumors 6502

aesc80

^ this. Band 30 version is really for those who will be on AT&T for a while, waiting for that spectrum to open up. At this point, it doesn't really matter since (I'm assuming) you'd be paying it all at once.

4. jaybar thread starter macrumors 6502

jaybar

No. I would be doing it under the Apple Uograde Program.

5. jaybar thread starter macrumors 6502

jaybar

6. ChinaRye macrumors 6502

ChinaRye

I don't think the sim free qualifies for the apple upgrade program. It has to be tied to a carrier.

I debated returning my T-Mobile for the sim free but decided it is not worth the hassle. I don't plan on going to AT&T, so band 30 is not worth it to me. I have a flawless phone. Could end up with a dud. Not worth it, imo.

7. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Then you definitely should go with the Verizon model, from what I've heard AT&T doesn't use band 30 much right now, but it will be more important in the future, so even if you did go to AT&T if you are upgrading in a year there will be little to no difference.

8. jaybar thread starter macrumors 6502

jaybar

According to my Apple Store, they could put in a Verizon Sim and therefore it would qualify under the Apple Upgrade Program. However, from what you are saying, there is no real advantage to me and since my current 6S Plus, that I got under the Apple Upgrade Program is without defects, I will keep what I have as I don't know what ivwould end up with.

9. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

Even though I know that you're within your rights to return your phone for no reason...

People abusing return policies are the reasons why lax return policies like Apple's are the exception rather than the rule. Why would you consider returning a perfectly good working phone that you bought knowing that a SIM free version was coming shortly?

Just a bit of a pet peeve of mine. Carry on... I realize that you've said you won't return it, but even considering returning seems wrong to me.

C

10. doboy macrumors 68000

For upgrade program it doesn't really make sense to swap it cause you don't plan to use AT&T and you'll upgrade to iPhone 7 in a year. No reason to risk it if you're happy with your iPhone. Also resell value doesn't affect you.

11. jaybar thread starter macrumors 6502

jaybar

I am not opposed to returning for serious defects. In fact, I had to return two phones. The first, after one day of use, generated either invalid Sim or Sim not installed messages. The phone was also giving me warning messages every two minutes.

The second phone locked up. It would not respond to pressing the home and power button simultaneously. It would not respond to being plugged into my iMac. iTunes would not see the phone. Three hours later, it spontaneously rebooted.

This is my third phone and it is working without issue. I too, do not support ongoing returns by people looking for perfection. That strikes me as abuse of Apple's generous return policy.