"SIM-free" unlocked - can I use TM for a month, and then switch to Verizon?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zeppo2, Jan 15, 2015.

1. zeppo2 macrumors regular

Sorry. I am not tech savvy about this unlocking business.

Everything I have read makes me think that model A1586 is CDMA and GMS capable and that cannot be changed by some carrier rep in the store once I activate it. For instance, a T-Mobile rep can't somehow f* up my phone and turn off CDMA when they activate it, right (so that I can't in turn use Verizon later?

I'm almost a 100% sure this is a stupid question, and the answer is "no", but since I am not 100%, you guys get the benefit of my stupidity. My understanding is that the CDMA and GSM capability is in the hardware and can't be screwed with-- just want to make sure.

I'm going to try T-Mobile, but if it doesn't work out, Verizon will get my business if possible.

Thanks
    zeppo

2. Sumter macrumors 6502

Sumter

It should work. Verizon will not recognize your device on My Verizon page, though - at least that's what I have heard. Other than that they should both work fine.

You probably wanna try out the prepaid sim for T-Mobile if you weren't gonna already.

You could also opt for T-Mobile's Test Drive where they send you an iPhone 5s with unlimited everything for a week. Before the week is over all you have to do is return it to any T-Mobile store in your area. It's free.

3. zeppo2 thread starter macrumors regular

thanks, I am planning on trying the prepaid. My AT&T statement cycle ends on the 18th, so I am going to cancel with them before then assuming they will refund what they have already charged me for the next month.

T-Mobile is coming out with an even better prepaid plan later in the month, I think the 25th if I recall their website correctly. $40 prepaid for unlimited data, talk and text with up to 1GB of 4G LTE.

I don't need a lot of data, since up to now I've gotten by fine with a dumb phone and an iPod Touch. But if connectivity isn't good enough, I'll go to Verizon.

4. rui no onna macrumors 603

rui no onna

From Apple's website, the unlocked iPhone 6 and 6 Plus should work on all 4 major carriers in the US (including Sprint and Verizon). There are a couple of user reports confirming that the unlocked US models is properly recognized and compatible with Verizon. Dunno anyone who's tried them on Sprint.

Mind, starting with the 6/6+, even AT&T and T-Mobile iPhones have the CDMA hardware enabled. Been able to use an ATT 6+ and TMo 6 on Verizon even with LTE disabled. Caveat, they show up as unrecognized so can't activate service with the ATT and TMo models.

5. scaredpoet, Jan 16, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2015

scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

FYI, the new prepaid plans on T-Mobile are throttled to 8Mbps max speed on LTE, then down to 128kbps once you reach the end of your data allotment. Just FYI in case you're wondering why the speeds are what they are... it's the plan, not coverage. You're also not going to get unlimited un-speed-capped audio streaming, if Pandora, iTunes radio, or other streamed music is your thing. Unlike postpaid on T-Mobile, ALL usage counts on your data allotment with prepaid.

To be honest, with the lack of contracts on T-Mobile, it might make sense to look at the post paid plans. You can opt not to have your credit run if you're not going to buy a phone on a payment plan, and you get Data Stash, the ability to rollover your data (with 10GB of stash to start with).

The only advantage to prepaid is that you save about $10 a month, but you lose a lot in the savings.

6. nox5 macrumors 6502

Verizon iPhone 6 comes factory unlocked and works on T-Mobile too. Can be bought as device only without Verizon contract.

7. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

While it is true that the Verizon model is unlocked, the OP is asking about the Sim free model, not the Verizon model.

Anyway, the sim free model should work fine on Verizon. When I run my MEID through the check on their website it passes. Unfortunately I don't have a Verizon sim to complete the process.

8. CEmajr macrumors 601

The sim free model works on all 4 carriers. You're fine.

9. Bearxor macrumors 6502a

If you want to just try Tmobile to see if coverage is good, why not just do the test drive?

10. zeppo2 thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm, I didn't know that the Verizon iPhone was GSM compatible. I wonder why they let the Verizon phone be GSM compatible, but didn't let the T-Mobile phone be CDMA compatible.

At any rate, I wanted to try T-Mobile first and then go to Verizon. So the new SIM-free allows me to start with T-Mobile, which I did earlier today. I got the $40 prepaid plan with 500MB data for my iPhone 6, and now pay a lower phone bill than I did with AT&T for dumb phone only. (which I supplemented with my iPod Touch on wifi) Come Jan 25th, T-Mobile offers a $40 prepaid with 1 GB of data, so I will switch to that.

11. 8rlee8 macrumors regular

The Simple Choice plans are pretty much the same for postpaid and prepaid. Only difference is you don't get Data Stash with prepaid Simple Choice. If you opt to not have your credit run then you are opting for prepaid. Therefore if you choose to go prepaid then you aren't saving much. You just won't be able to let your unused data rollover. Which in my case, it would just build up over the year and I would never use the extra data. Going prepaid with a Simple Choice plan made sense for me.

Now there is a difference between their Simple Choice (postpaid or prepaid) and Simply Prepaid.

12. rui no onna macrumors 603

rui no onna

It's been GSM compatible since the 4s and unlocked since the 5. Both the T-Mobile and AT&T iPhone 6/6+ are CDMA compatible.

13. JulesJam Suspended

JulesJam

While it is true that the TMobile or unlocked iP6 will work on Verizon, Verizon will NOT activate it on their network. They will only activate Verizon branded devices on the Verizon network.

However, if you have a Verizon branded device that uses a nano SIM, you can activate that device and then use the already activated Verizon SIM card in the unlocked iP6. If the Verizon branded device uses a micro SIM, you can cut it down to fit the iP6, but of course, you can potentially mess up the SIM card if you do that.

14. 501STF macrumors newbie

The A1586 model is a Verizon whitelisted device it can be activated on any of the US networks period.

15. JulesJam Suspended

JulesJam

OK so that is the SIM free factory unlocked iP6?

16. 501STF macrumors newbie

Yes it is. That is the model this thread is about.

17. JulesJam Suspended

JulesJam

If Verizon will activate this on its network, this is literally the only non-Verizon branded phone that Verizon will do that for. Clearly Apple has quite the leverage with the carriers to get Verizon to do this.

18. cousintim macrumors 6502

cousintim

It's a "SIM-free" device, as the name indicates. VZ is free to do with it what it wishes.

19. iThingsGurl macrumors 6502a

iThingsGurl

Your specific model will work on all of the following networks in the USA my friend -

Screen Shot 2015-01-18 at 11.49.12 PM.png

as well as the following -

Screen Shot 2015-01-18 at 11.48.52 PM.png

20. RenoDavid macrumors newbie

I actually just bought a Sim-free unlocked iPhone 6 and signed up with T-Mobile too. I, however, went with the $30 per month plan where I get 5 GB of 4G LTE data, unlimited texts, but only 100 minutes of talk time. Perfect for me, since I don't use the phone much at all. Can't believe I've been wasting so much money with Verizon with my old 4s, even though the fastest data I could get with that phone was 3G.

Anyway, the freedom is going to be great.#

21. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

According to Apple, the sim free model can be activated and used on AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon or Sprint.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/overlay/iphone/about_unlocked

I seriously doubt that Apple would post something that wasn't true on their website, as it would eventually get them into some sort of legal trouble.

22. JulesJam Suspended

JulesJam

I believe you. I was just saying this is the only non-Verizon branded device that Verizon does this for. So it speaks to Apple's leverage with the carriers.

I wasn't doubting the veracity of what you were saying, just remarking on how Apple has leverage over the carriers to get them to do things that they wouldn't do for any other phone manufacturer.

----------

Right but my point was that Verizon wishes to only have Verizon branded devices on their network. The fact that Apple can get Verizon to whitelist non-Verizon branded devices on their network speaks to Apple's leverage with the carriers. That was my only point.

23. KPOM macrumors G5

Definitely. And Sprint, too, which is amazing given that carrier's draconian unlocking policies.