SIM question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pitt1717, Sep 30, 2013.

1. pitt1717 macrumors 6502

so im using my wifes upgrade to get the 5s (but I'm taking it muuuhaaa). anyway i plan on taking my iphone 5 sim and moving it to the 5s. that should work correct?

if so, i don't think i can take her iphone 4s sim and put it in the 5 correct? so can i use the one that came with the 5s in the 5 after i activate(again move the original 5 sim) into the new 5s?

basically, i want to try to avoid the att store if i can. if i can't, will att charge me for a new sim?

2. GrimmsGirl macrumors 6502

GrimmsGirl

I just did that same exact thing. I bought a 5s on my husband's upgrade, activated the phone with his number, then switched the sims between my old 5 and the new 5s. Voila, I have a new 5s and my husband has a new 5. I went to AT&T's site a day later and they already had the phones switched in their system. They know I'm using the 5s and he's using the 5.

BTW, his old phone was a flip phone. LOL. I might look at donating it or something, otherwise it's headed for the trash.

3. pitt1717 thread starter macrumors 6502

ahhh so then i should activate as it comes in the box under my wifes number. once activated the just swap the cards...

sounds to easy to be true, but ill give it a shot. thanks

btw, not sure if you have kids and if so their age.... but mine are young enough that they use old flips etc as toys... just take the battery out as we found out the hard way that 911 still works on a deactivated fun (LOL)

4. GrimmsGirl macrumors 6502

GrimmsGirl

Our kids are full grown, and I'd be willing to bet our grandkids are given old iPhones to play with by their other grandmother. :rolleyes: but thanks, that's a good tip otherwise!

5. Goodeye macrumors 6502a

Goodeye

I have done this. To be honest doing it at the ATT store is by far the easiest way to do it. It won't shut off your wife's line at all and you won't have wort about removing the data plan etc off her line

They make it easy they have something that allows them to easily do it in the system.

Since the 5s will likely already have the nano sim in it they just activate the phone and sim under your line. No need to pay for a new sim or any thing.

6. MJedi macrumors 6502a

MJedi

I second the recommendation to go to an AT&T store. I had a 4S and told them I needed a nano SIM for my 5s, and transfer my account to the nano SIM. They gave me the nano SIM and changed the IMEI in my account. They didn't charge me for the new SIM. It was surprisingly easy. I was expecting to be told I couldn't do it, that I'd need to upgrade, or pay an activation fee. Walked out with a working nano SIM.

You have to go to an AT&T store, and not an independent store.

7. GrimmsGirl, Sep 30, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2013

GrimmsGirl macrumors 6502

GrimmsGirl

Sorry, but I have to ask... How is going to the AT&T store easier than just activating the new phone and then switching the sims in the comfort of your own home on your own time? The OP wants to give his wife his 5, so he wants to turn off service to her current 4s. He's not impacting either data plan at all by activating the 5s with her number and then switching the sims. The voice and data plan is tied to the sim, not the phone.

8. Goodeye macrumors 6502a

Goodeye

For me it was always easier but I never went to ATT to get an iPhone that was in short supply. Ymmv then.

9. pitt1717 thread starter macrumors 6502

just got the phone and want to activate it so bad but the wife is at work and don't want her phone dead just yet. oh well :(

on a side note, 2 years ago i went to att. guess what, store stayed open late because they couldn't get the sim to swap correctly... so im going to try grimes way tonight

10. scotrinaf macrumors 6502

You can buy a good but inexpensive SIM card cutter to go from the micro SIM (4s) to the nano SIM (5/5s)... I bought one for around $8 and have cut 4 down so far with no problems. :)

11. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

Absolutely no reason to go to ATT store. Just swap SIMs. Also, when I bought my unlocked Verizon 5s, for use on T-Mobile, Apple Store gave me a free T-Mobile nanoSIM. No reason to visit those annoying carrier stores, ever. Just do it all at Apple, or online store.