Simon Sinek on Millennials

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by haxrnick, Dec 29, 2016.

1. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

Seems to be making the rounds and was surprised it wasn't posted here yet. Can't say I disagree with much, if anything, he says here. Interesting take on the whole social media aspect and I have to say I agree. Seems that it (social media) matters to quite a few here on the left (talk about it frequently) and not much at all to those on the right (hardly talk about it). Kind of long at 15 minutes but a pretty good listen.

For those who aren't familiar with him:

Simon O. Sinek (born October 9, 1973) is an author, speaker, and consultant who writes on leadership and management. He joined the RAND Corporation in 2010 as an adjunct staff member, where he advises on matters of military innovation and planning. He is known for popularizing the concepts of "the golden circle" and to "Start With Why",[1][2][3] described by TED as "a simple but powerful model for inspirational leadership all starting with a golden circle and the question "Why?"'.[4] Sinek's first TEDx Talk on "How Great Leaders Inspire Action" is the 3rd most viewed video on TED.com.[5][6] His 2009 book on the same subject, Start With Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action (2009) delves into what he says is a naturally occurring pattern, grounded in the biology of human decision-making, that explains why we are inspired by some people, leaders, messages and organizations over others. He has commented for The New York Times, Wall Street Journal, The Washington Post, Houston Chronicle, FastCompany, CMO Magazine, NPR, and BusinessWeek, and was a regular contributor to The Huffington Post, BrandWeek, IncBizNet.[1]

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Millenial here, couldn't give two ***** about narcissism media (some call it social).

3. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

Baby Bommers are going to love this. Anything to distract from the fact that they burned the world over their tenure. The Worst Generation.

I heard this same line of garbage in the 1990's growing up as Gen-X - we were listless, we didn't want to work, we had no focus, we did drugs. Every generation hears this by two generation behind them. It is usually wrong. Gen-X grew up just fine - we bought houses, we had children, [alongside Millennials] we are working on the technologies and the politics that will make this world a better place for everybody. Meanwhile, The Worst Generation became recalcitrant with age. They became what we know as Teabaggers. They helped to elected Donald Trump president. They seem content to drag us all back into the mud puddle of dysfunctional self-interest they crawled out of. I am an optimist. I think Millennials are going to be just fine. Great, even. Certainly more accepting and genuinely interested in making this world a more equitable place. My opinion: they are going to outdo all of us. Provided there is actually world left for them to exist in.

4. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

LOL your hate for all things and people that you dislike deludes you. Sure the same people that partied it up at Woodstock and free roamed the US in a VW bus are the same people that put Trump in office.:rolleyes:
    I'll agree with you on the every generation gets this from previous generations. Millennials will turn out just fine.

5. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I work at a university, and our department has hired a number of students throughout my time there. They have almost always been intelligent, personable, hard-working and reliable. A number of them have been given permanent positions within the department.

It seems fashionable to bash on Millenials these days, which I believe is just another example of generational rivalry more than anything else.

6. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

No man you're all wrong, millennials are all ignorant and inexperienced. You know just like every generation before them were at the same age. I hope you can sense the sarcasm on the first part.

7. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

There is an aspect of helicopter parents in our generation (usually more upper class parents), and participation ribbons were a thing and I have to agree that receiving them made you feel worse than not receiving anything at all, especially if you were forced into the competitions. I have mixed feelings on our generation, mainly because we have just started making an impact on the world. It's prejudging a generation before they have been given a real chance, most of the early generation such as myself graduated into a recession with student debt as well so it's been a slow go getting back to where we should have been years ago.

Side note: there is a generation we can judge at this point though, baby boomers. Look around at the problems of the world and decide if our generation could have done better, and get ready to put your money where your mouth is in 20 years

8. SusanK macrumors 68000

Baby Boomer ringing in.

I suffered through the video clip. I saw many behaviors of my own generation. I was amazed the first time I had dinner with a person who placed her phone on the table next to the utensils. She was my contemporary.

All Millennials do not have those behaviors in the workplace. I had a comparative experience not too log ago.

I needed to buy a car. I had a sensible shoes moment and went to look at a new Regal. I stopped at a Buick dealer on the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend. There was a 2014 CTS on the lot. It was a low milage GM fleet vehicle.

I asked the salesman about the CTS. He walked me around about 200 miles of Regals. I asked again about the CTS. Salesman was about late 50's early 60's

Test drove the CTS and signed a deal contingent on PPI. While I was at the salesman's desk he started to talk about financing. I told him I was not financing. He talked and always led back to financing. I said no, I'm good.

Took the car for PPI after the holiday. My tech liked the car with one exception. Rear brake rotors were pitted. He wrote a request for rear brake service. Replace rotors with OEM parts. Easy peasy, right?

Back to the dealership. Gave info to salesman who had to talk to his manager. He came back and they agreed to do the brake service. Next day salesman called and said the brake service was done.

I went back to the dealer to take the car for follow-up PPI and finalize the sale. I asked for an updated copy of the service records for my tech. Salesman screwed around saying something about the printer. After a delay he finally returned with the repair order. The rotors were not replaced. Rotors were resurfaced. I told the salesman and he said he had to check something.

A woman arrived and sat at his desk. She did not introduce herself or address me by my name. "I'm here to help you with financing". I told her I had a cashier's check in my purse for the transaction. She tried the financing thing again. I showed her the check. She got up from the chair and announced loudly "I'm sorry for your troubles". I told her to get the used car manager.

Used car manager appeared. He was as worthless as the salesman and the finance woman. He gave me a tune that they did not have rotors in stock. He didn't know how long it would take to get the parts. He was an old dude too.

I mentioned three Cadillac dealers within a 20 minute drive who had parts departments. I told him to locate the parts and send a runner. Before he could say anything else stupid I realized that I was just as close to the Caddy dealers. I told him to refund my deposit. He screwed around and finally came back with the credit slip.

A few days later I input my info on one of the Cadillac dealer's sites. Next day a salesman called me. We talked numbers and came to an agreement on a 2016 CTS exactly as I wanted it, colors, trim level etc.

The salesman brought the car to my house for the test drive. We stopped along the way to look at the paperwork. Everything was as expected. I signed the deal with the understanding that delivery would be the next day. At that time he mentioned financing. GM was offering 0% for 60 months.

We taked and I learned that there was nothing in it for the salesman if I took the financing. I'm not a fan of payments so I told him I'd do a cash deal. We stopped at the bank and I got a cashier's check.

Next day the salesman picked me up at home and drove me to the dealership. The man who sold the car is 31 years old. Guess who has a customer as long as I'm buying cars and he's selling cars?

Making generalizations about an entire generation is silly. Any generation.

9. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

As a radio producer for sports I hear all coaches complain about lower student participation in school sports that most schools had the drop JV sports to just have enough kids to have a varsity team! Kids have no concept of real winning and loosing and how to pick yourself up after loss in sports! Even the large schools are doing this too because not having enough kids for JV!

10. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

What in the world does "real" winning and losing have to do with sports? They're games, not a firefight.

11. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

I sad nothing like that! Loosing a high school sports game teaches kids that sometimes things happen and the test of man/women is how they pick themselves up for the next game. That in my opinion makes that person whom has been through sports to be a well rounded person throughout life!

12. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I know plenty of people here at work (ESPN) who know sports and nothing else. I don't think sports on their own make anyone a well rounded person.

13. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

I said high school sports helping building boundaries will young high school sports participants their physical skill level and teach them some structured discipline that kids needs time to time!

14. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I don't disagree that a well run sports program can teach some discipline...but so can any other type of structured activity.

Being not so removed from high school, sports teams seemed to teach more frat boy behavior and how to binge drink more than anything....

15. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

I don't know if you drank while playing sports but I and my teammates (back in the 80's) had to sign a pledge to stay clean and I did at least. My much older brother ( I was a Vietnam back kid when my father came back) so my bothers are 20 years older than me and they had to sign to play too.

Plus many kids had to work to get at least a C to play sports! Thank goodness I nor may teammates ever fell into that trap!

16. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

That's probably because opinionated right wingers don't have enough friends to warrant a social media account. Social retards generally struggled to be sociable even on a digital medium, unless you count the many bigoted pages on Facebook.

17. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

LOL. Calls people bigots, while insulting a group opposite of himself.
    [​IMG]

18. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

That's what I'm getting at, high school sports are not anything resembling what they used to be.

For the record, I never played any team sports (I was a skateboarder) but I have two very close friends who did so I was able to observe how they changed around their teammates into frat boys, only to return to themselves after the fact.

Frankly, today it seems more militaristic than anything, at least in programs where that given sport is a big money draw for the school.

19. CE3, Dec 29, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2016

CE3 macrumors 6502a

I liked a lot of what he had to say. However, I think many of his thoughts on the way tech and social media can negatively impact self-esteem, patience, social skills, and our ability to cope with stress are applicable to just about any generation these days.

My mother is in her mid 60s and no less attached to her iPhone/iPad and Facebook feed than the average millennial.

20. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

Opposite to myself? What group am I in, you seem to know?

21. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Well unless you're into that whole self depreciation thing. I doubt you're what is it that you said?
    Oh yeah this.

22. haxrnick thread starter macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

Thank you for your civilized response. Also, thank you for proving his point.

Oh, and this too.
    [​IMG]

23. Three141, Jan 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2017

Three141 macrumors 6502

Three141

You summed this up perfectly, my view is some people are good, some are bad and some inbetween, don't expect much from them and you'll be fine.

24. kobalap macrumors 6502

I think you missed the point the guy was making in the video.