Simple as that: My iPhone 4 front panel is gone.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Wowzera, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Wowzera macrumors 6502a

As the titles says, my iPhone 4 (black) dropped from my car while driving, the front glass is destroyed, some parts of the glass (around the proximity sensor and the front camera are gone, around the home button too). I think the proximity sensor isn't working properly, sometimes it works, other's don't.

I can't take it to an Apple Retail Store, because there's none in my country.
    How can I repair my iPhone 4? The premium reseller repair cost too much. Where can I buy the front panel and repair myself?

2. mysterioustko macrumors 6502

Out of curiosity how did you drop your phone from the vehicle while driving?

3. Zcott macrumors 68020

4. Wowzera, Jan 22, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2012

Wowzera thread starter macrumors 6502a

I didn't drop. My car was stoled yesterday and the thieves took my cellphone with them and then throwed my iPhone from the window, I recovered it using the Find my iPhone, but, as I expected the glass was/is destroyed, only the front glass, wish it was the back glass.

I'll take a look at iFixit and eBay, I've noticed that the proximity sensor is strange, I'll have to buy a new one too.

5. tiwizard, Jan 22, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2012

tiwizard macrumors regular

There are plenty of reasons a thief could have thrown an iPhone away:

• They were smart enough to know about Find My iPhone, which would have led the police to them
    • They did not see that it was an iPhone and simply threw it out the window while frantically escaping
    • They use an Android phone

But that is beside the point. Why does it matter? He just needs help fixing his phone.

6. Invincibilizer macrumors 6502a

Invincibilizer

The phone would just be discovered by the police and would be checked for fingerprints. Both scenarios would be unfavorable.

If they knew about find my iphone app, they could have just turned all connections off and wipe everything on their phone with iTunes at their home.

7. Wowzera thread starter macrumors 6502a

Just a question to you guys... When I make calls I can't hear anything and the person I'm calling can't hear anything too when I talk. But, using the iPhone audio recorder app I can hear the audio from the microphone and the speaker (if I turn it on).

Is it a problem of the proximity sensor so?

8. pilot1226 macrumors 6502a

pilot1226

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

Can't you trace the device specific Mac address even after a wipe?

9. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

From what you are saying, there is more wrong with your phone than just a broken front glass. Sorry

10. Wowzera thread starter macrumors 6502a

I think it's related with the promixity sensor, since the mic and speaker are still ok. I'm afraid to reboot/turn off/hard reboot my iPhone and it doesn't come back.

What do you mean? I've the iPhone 4 with me, I found it after tracking with Find my iPhone.

11. antman2295 macrumors 6502

Report a claim with your insurance sounds cheaper than attempting to fix it yourself.

12. Wowzera thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks, gonna take a look!

Yes, but it's expensive here. Around $400 to fix the front panel.