Simple iPhone backup question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sdilley14, Dec 12, 2012.

1. sdilley14 macrumors 65816

I have an iPhone 4 now. I'm going to be getting an iPhone 5 Dec. 29. I want to sell my 4 to offset the cost of the new phone.

I know I can obviously plug my phone into my MacBook Air and back it up through iTunes (or back it up using iCloud). I am just wondering if this literally backs up EVERYTHING (photos, videos, music), or just contacts, preferences, things like that? I'm 99.5% sure it backs up everything, but I want to be positive. I am going to have a week or two where I'm going to have to use an old Droid (just got a nice offer on my current iPhone and I want to get the cash NOW for it) and I want to be able to plug in my new iPhone 5 and restore it from my backup and pick up right where I left off on my iPhone 4.

2. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

If the photos and videos are in your camera roll then they will backup to your current backup. Your music is attached to your Apple ID and iTunes. So, when you get your new iPhone 5, just sync to your last backup of the iPhone 4 and you'll be good to go.

When I backup my iPhone, I use both iCloud and my iMac just incase something happens to either.

3. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

I posted information in another thread recently that should clarify what is backed up and what isn't when using either iTunes or iCloud. In short, no, not everything is backed up. Check out the Apple Support article and the links within it.

4. sdilley14 thread starter macrumors 65816

Ok, this makes sense. I'm sure I'll back up to both my MBA and iCloud just to be safe.

So basically my photos and videos that are on my camera roll on my iPhone, contacts, settings, preferences, text messages?, things like that are actually backed up...whereas my music, music videos, TV shows, and downloaded apps would be synced from my iTunes...is that about right?

5. GeorgieAcevedo macrumors 6502a

GeorgieAcevedo

I suggest to backup to your Mac also just in case, I just lost about 500 pictures because of iCloud.. :mad:

6. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Yep.

7. sdilley14 thread starter macrumors 65816