Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JulesK

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 17, 2002
I need a (hopefully) simple remote access software program to access a relative's computer (iMac) from my MacBook Pro, so I can address issues and questions remotely, rather than driving over. Three that are on my radar are TeamViewer, JAMF and Logmein, but any suggestions based on actual experience would be greatly appreciated. I only need to access one machine, but I need to have the ability to access all user accounts as if I were there. Cost isn't an issue if the software is reliable and effective.

Many thanks in advance.

techwarrior

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2009
Colorado
Teamviewer works great, but requires the other person to provide some login codes each time unless you preconfigure it with a remote login account.

You can also avoid installing anything if they are using a Mac and the Messages application. From within a text message sequence with the other party, there are controls for screen sharing when you click on the Details link at the top right corner of the Messages window. Options are to "Invite to Share My Screen, or "Ask to Share Screen". They will get a dialog asking if they want to share their screen and then you are in, no login codes or complexity. It even starts a voice FaceTime session so you can talk them through what you are doing without having to make a separate call.

JulesK

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 17, 2002
Teamviewer works great, but requires the other person to provide some login codes each time unless you preconfigure it with a remote login account.

You can also avoid installing anything if they are using a Mac and the Messages application. From within a text message sequence with the other party, there are controls for screen sharing when you click on the Details link at the top right corner of the Messages window. Options are to "Invite to Share My Screen, or "Ask to Share Screen". They will get a dialog asking if they want to share their screen and then you are in, no login codes or complexity. It even starts a voice FaceTime session so you can talk them through what you are doing without having to make a separate call.

Thank you. It looks like TeamViewer, which is free for personal use, and Screens 4 (one time app charge) may be the cheapest third-party solutions. It would be Mac-to-Mac, so I could use Apple's screen sharing function, but does that allow me to actually control the remote computer (which is what I really need).

For TeamViewer (or Screen 4, for that matter), which computer needs to have the software? Would it be my computer, or my relatives' computer that would need to access?

Many thanks, again!

JulesK

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 17, 2002
techwarrior - Thanks for the confirmation. I'm going to try that first!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.