Simple VoIP on iPhone 4s

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MaloCS, Feb 28, 2012.

1. MaloCS macrumors regular

Hello. :)

Here's my scenario:
    I have the opportunity to work from home but I need a phone line for the many conference calls I need to attend. Since I only have an iPhone (AT&T) and getting my company to expense the cost of a phone line (either land or mobile) would be more trouble then it's worth, I'm interested in a simple AND cheap VoIP service. I don't require chat, text, video calls or access over 3G, all I need is the ability to call US phone numbers via my iPhone and home WiFi connection.

Here's my question:
    Maybe it's my searching technique but I've failed to find a clear and concise answer to my primary question; which VoIP service is best for making US calls from my iPhone 4S (via home WiFi) and is relatively cheap ($30 a year or so)? I'm familiar with Skype and Google Voice but I'm interested in any services I may have overlooked. Again, I'm not interested in chat, text, video calls or 3G access. In fact, I'm not concerned with having an actual phone number either because my work phone can be forwarded to my iPhone for voice mail retrieval and what not.

Thanks. :)

2. dave006 Contributor

dave006

Have you heard about Skype, it might meet your needs?

Simple, easy and cheap but some restrictions that you should consider. First you can use the Skype iPhone app and your existing WiFi connection. Next you can add voice calling to any US Mobile or Landline for $2.99 per month.

Restrictions: limit of each call is 60 minutes and you should not use Skype for any company confidential calls.

If you need something more than Skype you might consider moving to a dedicated VoIP provider.

Dave

3. MaloCS thread starter macrumors regular

Ahhh... okay great info. EXACTLY what I'm looking for. Thanks. :)

4. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Google Voice number plus Talkatone. Doesn't receive phone calls when the app is closed, but if the app is open, you're good, and you can place calls no problem.

I also use Textfree, which gives me a free number with no monthly fee, but costs per minute. (Although they do have "offers" to get minutes for free, including 2 minutes for watching a video ad.)

5. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

6. cynics macrumors G4

I can't help too much but I use google voice with groove ip on my tablet. It gives you voice, text and voicemail with a local number and there is no monthly charge. I know you don't need half that stuff but it's included using the appropriate apps.

If talkafone is the equivalent of grooveip that would be my choice. It has worked great for me.

I'd let this thread run its course before committing to anything.

7. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I don't know if you are dead set on using your iPhone. If you are, ignore everything I am about to say.

The magic jack is going to be the cheapest option. They make a version now (magic jack plus) that doesn't require a computer. You get stricly VOIP and it's something like $50 a year. You do have to have some sort of standard landline phone, but those can be had extremely inexpensively (you can go for $10-$200 or more I am sure). If you travel, you can even take it with you and it will work anywhere you are able to get an internet connection (you need a computer for wifi connectivity).

Anyway, if voip is all you want from your house, that is your cheapest option IMO, depending, of course, on the length and number of your phone calls.

8. gerabbi macrumors regular

Two for you to try: Bobsled, Whistle