"Simply amazing" display of iPhone 5 - Sharp's IGZO?..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by maxap, Sep 12, 2012.

1. maxap, Sep 12, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2012

maxap macrumors 6502

maxap

On stage, Phil was talking about that "simply amazing" display of the new iPhone 5. It has 44% more color saturation and Apple managed to integrate the touch sensors into the screen itself.

Does anybody also think that it must be based on the Sharp's new display technology called IGZO? IGZO truly deserves to be called the "world's most advanced display" and reportedly Apple had plans to use it in iOS products. I really hope it is the case.

http://9to5mac.com/2012/09/01/sharps-igzo-displays-on-display-at-ifa-berlin-better-touch-sensitivity-smaller-bezels-galleryvideo/

Let's discuss this possibility here.

2. identity, Sep 12, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2012

identity macrumors 6502

It's IPS. If it was IGZO, all the tech sites would be over it.

3. zachnelson macrumors 6502a

Fixed that for yah.

4. maxap thread starter macrumors 6502

maxap

I have to disagree with you. Tech sites had no chance to test and disassemble the new iPhone and Apple are well-known for omitting to mention the manufacturers of components of their products (Gorilla glass from Corning, for instance). So, it is still possible we have to deal with the new Sharp's technology here.

5. Frasern1 macrumors 6502a

I think he said that for marketing purposes...what was he going to say? "This display looks pretty good, better then last years"

6. maxap thread starter macrumors 6502

maxap

I don't think so. IGZO technology makes it possible to achieve better colors (44% color saturation in the new iPhone) and reduce power consumption of the display (as stated, the battery life of the new iPhone will improve).. How can you have those by using the same old IPS displays?

It is probably not only the 32nm A6-chip but also the IGZO screen that are used by Apple to gain this advantage.

----------

After they get their hands on the new device, we will know for sure. Now, it is only a speculation that might be quite accurate.

http://m.gizmodo.com/5926624/that-thinner-iphone-screen-could-mean-insanely-good-battery-life

7. twintin, Sep 12, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2012

twintin macrumors 6502

Seems Sony uses a similar technology in one of their newest devices

[​IMG]