Simply"" computer store wants to swap my 4 month old ACD 30inch with a new 23" ACD

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Romeo604, Feb 19, 2008.

1. Romeo604 macrumors regular

I went to get my ACD 30 inch repaired for a minor thing and I saw that they do trade in too so I asked them how much is my ACD worth now.

They say they willing to switch for a new 23 inch. Good deal? Note: I got my 30 inch ACD from family member so I did not pay full price for it.

Not sure if this is in the right forum. Better to sell online or switch with recognized store? Thanks!

2. timsutcliffe macrumors 6502

Hold on to it

Unless there's something really wrong with your 30", i'd hold on to it. I can't see there being any point in dropping down to a 23" just because it's new.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yeah, that just doesn't make any sense... These are both current generation ACDs, right? And you have a Mac that can drive the 30" display via duallink?

So your ACD is 4 months old, and presumably the backlight has degraded a teeny tiny amount in 4 mos. Who cares? That's ... 5-7% of its usable lifespan, at most. Why would you downgrade to a 23???

4. DHart macrumors 6502

DHart

If this matters to you... the 30" is great if you want a lot of real estate to spread out on and view from more of a distance, but image/color critical graphics work is much better done on the 23-24" displays rather than the 30".

5. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

Is this a trick question :confused:
    You'd be a fool to go for that deal.

6. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

What is your reasoning for that statement, bearing in mind the ACD's use S-IPS panels.

7. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

well, if I lived somewhere near you I would offer you to trade a new 23" display for your 30" one.
    It's 4 month old so it is almost brand new. Even the fact that is has been repaired does not impress me. I guess it is still under warranty ?

8. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

I'll trade you a new mac mini for that Mac Pro Octo. :eek:

9. DHart macrumors 6502

DHart

IPS panels definitely provide better accuracy when looking at a screen from angles, but they are not necessarily highly uniform in color and brightness across the entire screen area. They still do have hue and brightness variations in different areas of the screen. The large 30" screens, whether IPS or PVA tend to have less uniformity across the entire area than do the smaller 23-24" displays. Of course, a 30" display is impressive to say the least and definitely has some applications for which it is well suited! But I have read some critical reviews which indicated that the color and brightness consistency of the 30" is less uniform across the entire screen than it is with the smaller 23". And based on my use of a 24" monitor, I have found that I need to back away from the monitor to get a good perspective on the image... this increased viewing distance would be even more needed with the 30". With the 30" display, much of the screen is angled off to your side than straight at you when working at the typical viewing distance. Moving farther back from the display helps a lot with this, but some people, myself included, don't like to work from such a distance. Certainly for some applications, the 30" is wonderful and well suited... like video use and for displaying larger windows side by side, and for viewing by a group of people who are, necessarily, gathered at a little bit of a distance from the display. I have found that for single-user use and critical evaluation of color and image of still images - specifically Photoshop editing, 24" seems to be a more practical size, for me anyway, than 30" and apparently, greater color and brightness uniformity across the entire screen is possible with displays in the 23-24" range than 30". Several other graphics professionals that I know concur with this. Of course, your mileage may vary! ;-) Enjoy that beautiful 30"!

10. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

you beat me with your trades ...