Carrier Simultaneous Voice and Data on CDMA

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ZebraDude, Sep 8, 2014.

1. ZebraDude macrumors 6502a

ZebraDude

I am wondering if the iPhone 6 will support the above technologies! I understand the iPhone 5s or Iphone 5 did not....:mad:

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Unlikely. There's a whole thread about this already on MacRumors detailing why.

3. sjperformance macrumors 6502

4. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

VoLTE will be here before you know it. I wouldn't be too concerned about it at this point.

5. markyr17 macrumors 65816

markyr17

Yes, VoLTE is being rolled out for Verizon before the end of September, so yes, you'll be able to "talk and surf" at the same time.

6. rrm74001 macrumors regular

rrm74001

It is a technology limitation, not a phone limitation.

Yes, but:

SOURCE

7. CEmajr macrumors 601

Not happening. Apple isn't going to modify their hardware just to accommodate 2 carriers that form such a small portion of their overall user base. Glad I'm on a GSM network.

8. ZebraDude thread starter macrumors 6502a

ZebraDude

Well....I guess I should be happy that my 40 a month account (SERO-P) has unlimited LTE,3G, 1X so I will just try to make FaceTime voice calls when I can...

9. markyr17 macrumors 65816

markyr17

That is ludicrous. Way to go, Verizon :rolleyes:

----------

"small portion of their user base?"

................ ???????

10. rrm74001 macrumors regular

rrm74001

CDMA is fairly popular in the USA thanks to Verizon and Sprint, but worldwide, GSM is king.

11. ElBerryKM13 macrumors regular

Yes the whole world uses GSM. Do you think the 150m or so customers that sprint/verizon have are significant compared to all other GSM providers?

12. markyr17 macrumors 65816

markyr17

I understand that, however, Verizon is a huge carrier. You may be right, that percentage wise it's a small number...

----------

No, I don't, and I understand that GSM is "superior"

13. C DM macrumors Westmere

There are ways of supporting voice and data on CDMA carriers, and quite a few of today's (LTE) smartphones already do it, just not the iPhone.

14. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Which is frustrating for those that are on CDMA carriers and want the capability when wifi isn't available. Personally I don't need it. I turn wifi off when I'm calling people :p

15. C DM macrumors Westmere

Well, yeah, not possible with the iPhone (at least not so far).

Why turn off WiFi when calling people though?

16. Winona Northdakota macrumors 6502a

Yes there are ways to support voice and data on CDMA carriers. The iPhone has never supported it yet. With VoLTE about to be released, I doubt Apple will be supporting it in favor of VoLTE. Apple is big on embracing new tech, such as USB, etc.

17. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

It's both, actually. CDMA data networks (i.e. EVDO) can't be used when a cellular call is taking place. However, with LTE, which is GSM based, you can.

Plenty of phones on Verizon and Sprint can use simultaneous data and talk while on LTE. I do it on my S4. The reason they can is because the CDMA and LTE radios are split.

The iPhone can't so simultaneous data and talk on CDMA/LTE because they use a single radio design.

Apple could easily just split their radios, or just wait for widespread VoLTE, with the latter being the obvious choice.

18. C DM, Sep 9, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2014

C DM macrumors Westmere

CDMA can support it itself too without LTE if SVDO or EVDV is deployed and used.

19. legioxi macrumors 6502a

Correct. This requires an additional antenna which the newer Android phones have but Apple has opted to not add to the iPhone. Definitely Apple's choice at this point.

Love my iPhone but I hate getting calls on it as I'm always using it as a hotspot.