simultaneously connecting to wifi (internet) and air-port express (music)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by m4lte, Nov 15, 2011.

1. m4lte macrumors newbie

hi there,

I'm wondering whether a MacBook Air (2011) can simultaneously connect to a wireless route for internet and an airport express plugged into speakers.

Basically, I want to make my MacBook connect to my speakers wirelessly, so I have no audio cable cluttering up my desk (because I frequently move my laptop around the room). If I understand correctly, I can connect the speakers to an Airport Express and then make a wireless connection from my MacBook Air to the Airport Express? However, at the same time I need to connect to a different wifi network for internet access (and I can not put the internet wifi router in the same room with the speakers). Can the MacBook Air simultaneously connect to one wifi for internet and to the Airport Express to play music on the speakers?

I couldn't find any useful information online.
    thanks!

2. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

My friend has this setup in his apartment so yes it works. As to the exact steps, I'm not sure. Best way to find out is to try it I guess.

3. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

You won't be able to connect to the two separate networks at the same time.
    Instead you will need to connect the Airport Express (wirelessly) to the same network which you use for internet access.

This is how I have my network setup.
    My two Airport Expresses connect to my Airport Extreme to form one network, which my computers connect to. My computers can then play music through the speakers attached to the Airport Expresses.

4. waynep macrumors 6502

I have a Time Capsule and it's also my router for wifi/internet access. I also have a Airport Express that I connect to speakers. The Airport Express is on the same network as the Time Capsule. Works great.

5. m4lte thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks, that's good to know!