Sin Bins, CCTV's in public housing

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by SilentPanda, Aug 3, 2009.

1. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/115736/Sin-bins-for-worst-families

That seems extreme to me. I'm guessing the families have some privacy (bathrooms at least!) but wow. I suppose if you have to live there then you have to... but just... wow.

2. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

That is insane. Not sure which is worse, the fact they are being monitored or that they need to be monitored. :eek:

3. bbotte macrumors 65816

bbotte

4. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Don´t know what else to say other than that´s really effed up.

Seems that 440 Million Pounds could pay for a lot of before/after-school programs that could have just as large an effect on the education.

5. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

I misread it as 40mil, but 400 mil?!?!?!

Heck they could probably feed them at school and check their attendance record there. :eek:

6. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Do the cameras double as television screens one can never turn off?

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

The UK government seems to have totally lost the plot :eek: - that is if the Daily Express isn't just getting it totally wrong.

8. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

I'm not sure if this is true or not but it's only the comics,the Telegraph,some tech sites and rags from around the world that are running the story.I'd like to see some more details before I'd make any comment.

9. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

How is a camera in their house going to ensure that the kids go to school? Why not just check their attendance every day?

10. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

What a waste of money that could be better spent else where.

11. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

There is a fantastic synergistic business opportunity here. Have Channel 4 fund the whole thing in exchange for broadcast rights and the program will make money.

12. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

That's if its actually true though...

The Daily Express isn't a good source.

13. SilentPanda thread starter Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Yeah I dunno. It's all UK so I'm not sure what sources are "good".

14. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

Anything with Daily in the name isn't 100% reliable ;)

15. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Basically, the Economist is excellent, the Guardian and the Independent are good, the BBC is less good, the telegraph and times are both OK (but often get stuff wrong), anything else is pretty bad - though the Express is probably the worst of the lot.

16. SilentPanda thread starter Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I should have noted that any newspaper that calls itself the Worlds Greatest Newspaper, probably isn't.. :)

17. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Are you suggesting that perhaps the Fantastic Four was not the World's Greatest Comics Magazine?

18. mbpnewbie macrumors regular

You see, I really do not have a problem with this. I do understand the lack of privacy or these families, but you have to remember, THE GOVT IS PAYING FOR THEIR LIVING ACCOMODATIONS. It's only going in PUBLIC HOUSING. These are the people who have proven they cannot hold down or even obtain a job, these are the 16 year old mothers. I figure, if you're living on the gov't dime, they have a right to monitor you. Don't like it? Get a job and live in private accomodation, you won't have a problem then. I bet if they said they were putting up cameras to stop concil flat defacement, nobody would care.

19. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

People become 16 year old mothers in the UK generally because they don't have the opportunities that richer people have.

20. szark macrumors 68030

szark

Guess that rules out the Chicago Tribune. :)

21. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Privacy? We don't need to stinkin' privacy!

Lethal

22. mbpnewbie macrumors regular

I'm calling BS on this one. The NHS gives out free condoms and birth control. It is a common known fact that girl will get pregnant around 16 as they are getting out of school with minimum qualifications, have the baby and go to the council saying, "I'm a single mother, I have no job and my mum kicked me out. Please give me a free flat and a few hundred pounds a month because I was too stupid to use a condom". I grew up comfortably(dad brought home a nice 6 figures), and had the same number of chances to be a baby daddy as these girls do, but when I did have intercourse I took proper precaution and used a condom..

23. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Therein lies the problem. As long as the state continues to subsidize irresponsible behavior, said behavior will continue. But wait, it's "for the children", so it's OK. I mean come on, you don't hate children...or do you?

24. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

If this is true, it's horrible. But I've been unable to find any other sources, except for some blogs that cite this newspaper.

25. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

There is no mention of this in government documents or any reported speech by Ed Balls. It would also be against myriad laws not least the European Convention on Human Rights. The reporter,Alison Little,who wrote this drivel is a idiot. So I feel safe in saying it's complete bollocks. Family Intervention Projects may indeed have some privacy issues but 24hr CCTV is not one of them.