Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 27, 2006
United States
Hey, I've never done this before, but, since Apple has abandoned the iPhone 3G I'm thinking of jailbreaking it and using something to free up memory, sometimes my phone lags badly, locks up, wait 5 minutes (don't touch it) then maybe it'll be ok for a while (iOS 4.2.1). There seems to be no determining factor as to what causes this. I'm thinking it's because of the small memory in the iPhone 3G and iOS4 takes up too much of it (thus Apple leaving out wallpaper, multitasking, etc.)...it acts like the old PCs and Macs used to when they didn't have enough memory.

I'm assuming iOS 4.3 is out of the question, probably takes more memory than 4.2.1?

I'm looking for speed improvement (no more lag), but prefer to stay w/iOS 4, mostly for the improved location services, however, if the only way to get speed improvement is going back to OS 3, then I will do it.

If I jailbreak, will I still be able to sync it w/iTunes with all my current apps/music/iCal/contacts, etc?:confused:

It's still my main phone, so I'm a bit apprehensive to do this. (not upgrading until after iPhone 5 comes out).

Recommendations? (I'm a bit of a geek, but not a computer programmer).

My websearching has led to iphonedownloadblog.com and cydia :confused: ...seems to be a lot to read and not a good place for basic questions.

WhatAmI

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2009
Yes, you'll have no problem syncing it w/ iTunes. I'd recommend setting up the phone as new w/ 4.1 if "snappyness" is of importance. http://www.iphonedownloadblog.com/ it's probably one of the fastest and more easily accessible to someone new to this.

Once you've acquired the skills go to hackthatphone.com :)

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
Hey, I've never done this before, but, since Apple has abandoned the iPhone 3G I'm thinking of jailbreaking it and using something to free up memory, sometimes my phone lags badly, locks up, wait 5 minutes (don't touch it) then maybe it'll be ok for a while (iOS 4.2.1). There seems to be no determining factor as to what causes this. I'm thinking it's because of the small memory in the iPhone 3G and iOS4 takes up too much of it (thus Apple leaving out wallpaper, multitasking, etc.)...it acts like the old PCs and Macs used to when they didn't have enough memory.

I'm assuming iOS 4.3 is out of the question, probably takes more memory than 4.2.1?

I'm looking for speed improvement (no more lag), but prefer to stay w/iOS 4, mostly for the improved location services, however, if the only way to get speed improvement is going back to OS 3, then I will do it.

If I jailbreak, will I still be able to sync it w/iTunes with all my current apps/music/iCal/contacts, etc?:confused:

It's still my main phone, so I'm a bit apprehensive to do this. (not upgrading until after iPhone 5 comes out).

Recommendations? (I'm a bit of a geek, but not a computer programmer).

My websearching has led to iphonedownloadblog.com and cydia :confused: ...seems to be a lot to read and not a good place for basic questions.

yes jailbreaking will not effect your from using iTunes any differently then before, jsut dont restore or you will lose the jailbreak and be waiting for a new one, since you have a 3G you should have to worry because the new iOS are not available for your device, as far as freeing up memory im not sure if jailbreaking does that.

i do agree with your thoughts that its the small amount of RAM thats casusing the lag

MikePA

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
Hey, I've never done this before, but, since Apple has abandoned the iPhone 3G I'm thinking of jailbreaking it and using something to free up memory, sometimes my phone lags badly, locks up, wait 5 minutes (don't touch it) then maybe it'll be ok for a while (iOS 4.2.1).

Don't waste your time jailbreaking. It's not going to speed your phone up.

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
The technology in the 3G iPhone is almost three years old. I don't really so how Apple abandoned it. No product is ever guaranteed future software upgrades.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
As mentioned you need to put 3.1.3 on your phone. I won't use the term downgrade, its a significant upgade for 3G users. Then jb, and also put fakeclockup on. Now you have a fast phone.

shstiger2009

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2011
Yes, you'll have no problem syncing it w/ iTunes. I'd recommend setting up the phone as new w/ 4.1 if "snappyness" is of importance. http://www.iphonedownloadblog.com/ it's probably one of the fastest and more easily accessible to someone new to this.

Once you've acquired the skills go to hackthatphone.com :)

Not trying to be arrogant or anything of that matter, but am I reading your sig correctly? You have a trophy wife with an iPhone and an iPad? :eek:

supermac96

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2010
somewhere over the rainbow
ya if you just wnat to make your iphone faster don't jailbreak. you will get into winterboard and cydia pps and all that and your phone will be even slower. Find 3.1.3 firmware for your idevice on the internet, download it and when your ipod is plugged in hold control and click restore and choose that firmware you downloaded. you should now be running a lot faster phone!

benji888

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 27, 2006
United States
The technology in the 3G iPhone is almost three years old. I don't really so how Apple abandoned it. No product is ever guaranteed future software upgrades.

Considering Apple was selling these NEW until they launched the iPhone 4 last summer, meaning, some people got these phones less than a year ago, and Apple no longer supports it w/software & security updates, and most people get phones with 2 year contracts whereby they cannot get an upgrade price for a new phone until then, I would say that Apple abandoned the iPhone 3G!

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
Considering Apple was selling these NEW until they launched the iPhone 4 last summer, meaning, some people got these phones less than a year ago, and Apple no longer supports it w/software & security updates, and most people get phones with 2 year contracts whereby they cannot get an upgrade price for a new phone until then, I would say that Apple abandoned the iPhone 3G!

Good riddance, the 3G tarnishes the name of iPhone. Sorry you bought tech 2 generations old and expected the world.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 27, 2006
United States
OS 3 / iOS 4.1 / iOS 4.2.1 memory usage w/iPhone 3G?

crap, it sounds like I have to go back to OS3?? location services does work better w/iOS 4, and I often use GoogleMaps and couple other apps that, in OS3 would sometimes take quitting/reopening the app up to 3 times for the GPS to frakking find me! BUT, sometimes iOS4 hangs and then I have to wait 5 minutes or more to use the phone again. UGH :(

I thought when I first was checking things out I saw apps you can put on your iPhone that would free up memory, apps that require jailbreaking your phone. I think they were on cydia. But I guess none of you have done this, so maybe it's a farce.

does anyone know of a list of how much memory each version of the OS uses w/the iPhone 3G? I know this phone only has 128M RAM.:confused:

I do use folders, but I've had an iPad for a few months now, and I guess I could live without folders on the phone, weed through and delete some apps I mainly use on the iPad.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 27, 2006
United States
what about my iOS 4 only apps??

I have some apps that require iOS 4 to work

I guess maybe I need to go back only to 4.1 as "WhatAmI" suggested in post #2??

what about apple's find my iphone app? will that work?

ugh, seriously, by jailbreaking, isn't there some app that will free up memory, or some way to eliminate such things I don't use as spotlight search, I mean, I have all the search options unchecked, but can I just delete spotlight search altogether? I never use it. I would prefer to keep 4.2.1 if possible

Last edited:

MikePA

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
The assumption in all your posts is that by deleting features built into iOS you don't think you need then performance will improve. That's not true.

As newer versions of any operating system are released, they almost always use more resources and eventually these requirements exceed the ability of hardware they originally ran on.

You are the only person who can determine the value of the trade offs you'll have to make if you go back to 3.1.3 or stay on 4.1. If it were me, I'd upgrade to a 3GS before I'd go back to 3.1.3.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Personally, I think you should just restore your phone under the latest version of 4.x or 3.x and set it up as new.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 27, 2006
United States
go to 4.2.1 its better than 4.1 or 4.0 and almost as fast as the 3.1.3

I already have 4.2.1...read the first paragraph of the first post here. ...It is better except when it gets bogged down then I can't do anything for 5 mins or more.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 27, 2006
United States
Personally, I think you should just restore your phone under the latest version of 4.x or 3.x and set it up as new.

...and lose all my data and such?:eek:

However, if someone has had similar issues to me and done this and it worked I might try it. Considering the fact that I don't remember it being this way when I first updated it. ...hmmm...are there any caches I could empty? Anything at all to fee up memory I know would help.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
...and lose all my data and such?:eek:

However, if someone has had similar issues to me and done this and it worked I might try it. Considering the fact that I don't remember it being this way when I first updated it. ...hmmm...are there any caches I could empty? Anything at all to fee up memory I know would help.

Setting it up as new will help. You can save most of your data through syncing, but will lose your text messages and user data for apps (Angry Birds high sores). If you dont think its better, you can always throw your backed up data on later.

Still think you should go 3.1.3 though, I've done it for a few friends and they've been ecstatic with their phones performance.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 27, 2006
United States
....you can always throw your backed up data on later.

This is true, all I have to do is do a sync and it makes a fresh backup, I can always fall back on this no matter what I do with it I guess, so, no fear! ...Losing texts isn't a big deal. In fact, maybe I'll just go ahead and try going back to 3.1.3 and see if I can deal with no folders and GPS taking longer to find me, other than this it worked well for me, from what I recall. If not, I can just restore from my 4.2.1 backup. OK, whew! :) ...I may just do this with the lifehacker process since I don't care if the phone is jailbroken or not, I just want it to stop hanging and lagging on me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.