Since Apple is going to release their first Spring iPhone..does that mean the 7 is coming in summer?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DBZmusicboy01, Feb 18, 2016.

1. DBZmusicboy01 macrumors 6502a

It is very strange for Apple to change their timing.
    Since 2007 there has only been Summer and Fall iPhone releases but never Spring.
    iPhone 5SE makes more sense than iPhone 6C because why release the 6C when there's iPhone 6 6plus and 6S and 6S plus ? 5 similar named phones.

2. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

I would imagine the 7 will come in September 2016

3. C DM, Feb 18, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2016

C DM macrumors Westmere

Doesn't seem like one would mean much when it comes to the other.

4. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

No, iOS 10 beta in the Summer, then iOS 10 along with iPhone 7 in the Fall.

5. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd say it will stick with the original schedule and we'll see a fall release of the 7

7. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Like others, I expect a September/Early October release. IMO, the 4" phone will be on at most a 2 year cycle. It is a niche market now, and the people who enjoy 4" phones also seem to be the type who are willing to keep their phones longer.

8. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

I think Apple is fine with releasing the big release every year at the same time. The contract system from the carriers has gotten users accustomed to buying phones yearly or every two years.

9. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

I'm not following the logic of why a spring launch of the so-called 5se suggests anything different about the launch of the 7.

10. kch50428 macrumors 6502

kch50428

Until Apple announces otherwise, expect them to repeat schedules of the past... Announce at WWDC... release in September. Apple is a creature of habit.

11. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

No way they will release the iPhone 7 outside of September. Too many people are still on 2 year contracts from the 6/6+ camp who can't get a new phone until September 2016.

12. jasie02 macrumors 6502a

jasie02

5se likely is combination of 5s/6 design and most important on material, so supply chain readiness for demand is likely not an issue. 7 is going to be new design with new material, which will required more time to get parts ready from pre-A0 to A0 release of parts, and ramp up to production volume in order to supply all the demand will come.

5se is easier to get mass production ready.
    7 will be in Sept for us, but the design likely is close to be ready earlier, just not ready for mass production yet.

13. Mr.C macrumors 601

There is no chance of that happening and I don't even know why you would post a thread contemplating that. The iPhone 7 will in all likely hood be released around September/October time. There is no reason for Apple to release their flag ship phone in the Summer especially when history tells us they typically release it in the autumn.

14. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Why would releasing something in the spring mean that another product is pushed up to the summer? I guess I don't follow the logic.

15. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

If anything (and I don't think this is the case either) it would more likely result in a later release of the 7 as production and parts don't usually have to accommodate a new release in the spring, as they work on a major fall launch, and they could ride out sales of the 5se for a while before launching the 7.

So if there's going to be any shift in the launch schedule (and again, I don't expect there to be) I would expect a holiday release of the 7 rather than summer.

16. Flow39 macrumors 68000

Flow39

I'd assume fall. They have a ton of people on contract still until September, so releasing it earlier would have a negative impact on opening weekend sales.

17. JayIsAwesome macrumors 65816

JayIsAwesome

I kinda wish they would. I miss summer iPhone releases

18. nightcap965 macrumors 6502a

nightcap965

This always reminds me of watching who was standing closest to the Chairman during the annual Soviet May Day parade. There's Andropov, there's Next-To-Drop-Off...

19. Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

There was a rumor early on that due to lackluster iPhone sales, Apple may be planning an early release. It's never really been followed up on.

It could be that the "early" release was actually the 4" phone. Or it could be that Apple does want to accelerate the overall release schedule. Now that Apple has switched to a monthly payment plan, which can be paid off and traded-in after 6 months, they may want to take advantage of early uograders. There's a huge number of 5s or earlier customers who haven't upgraded, and once the 4" enthusiasts upgrade in March, everyone else will be ready for the 7. Maybe the March event will be used to announce iOS10 earlier than usual?

20. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

I think the more interesting question now the we know it'll have an A9 chip is whether the 5s will really be discontinued, since I don't see them lowering the 6's price to $449.99 and having the 5se as the mid-range phone.

21. Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

Well that's not the topic of this thread, but my theory has been since these rumors came out that there are two phones, a budget replacing the 5s at the low end, and a mid-priced 6s version for people who can afford more but still want a 4" phone. That easily explains the conflicting rumors from usually reliable sources.

I actually see the 5s replacement coming in at a lower $400 price point (or even $350), and the 6s update at the $500 or even $600 price point. if they sell well, Apple can launch a 4" 7 a year from now at the premium tier.

22. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

So like a 5se with an A8 chip that replaces the 5s and a 6 mini with an A9 chip for the same price as the 6?

23. iZac macrumors 68000

iZac

I somewhat believe that Apple pushed the 5SE release off of the fall schedule, to make sure the underwhelming 6S had a clear run at the holiday season. Just in the same way as they gave the iPad Pro a clear run at the holiday season and pushed the iPad Air to a spring release.

Apples motto seems to be:

"Always give them nearly what they want"

24. Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

More or less. With monthly installment plans that charge for Apple Care + which is an easily absorbed cost (and thus subsidizing the cost and of financing), I see Apple spreading out its pricing structure to make their phones more affordable. $350-$750 comprising up to 9 different models distributed evenly throughout.

25. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

It's certainly possible, especially considering there have been basically no leaks for parts nor the phone itself, unlike the 5c which was all-over the internet.