since att kicking folks off of unlimited data who use the mywi app, What about VZW ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bonds79, Apr 23, 2011.

1. Bonds79 macrumors 6502

since att kicking folks off of unlimited data who use the mywi app, What about VZW ? Does VZW do anything if you use the mywi from cydia on the vzw iphone?

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

3. mantan macrumors 68000

Yet being the key word. I can't see Verizon welcoming unauthorized tethering with open arms. It may take a few months, but I'd see them taking the same approach as ATT.

4. Bonds79 thread starter macrumors 6502

VZW never did anything to folks that tethered their DROIDs and VZW still has not taking away unlimited data , so i guess Carrier vs Carrier (att vs VZW). VZW is definately the better carrier at this point

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, it is just a matter of time before Verizon does the same thing.

6. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Up until very recently AT&T hasn't done anything either. I've been tethering with my various phones since long before the iPhone existed.

I don't like the idea of tethering on VZW though... simultaneous voice and data is definitely nice while tethering

7. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

I am in the market for my first iPhone and trying to chose between AT&T. Since I have a WiFi iPad I was hoping to use the iPhone data plan from time to time.

I am leaning toward the Verizon at this time

8. aneftp macrumors 68040

Most people who illegally tether with ATT prefer ATT's voice/data at the same time.

Just imagine getting MMS (which requires data...regular texts don't need data). But kist imagine getting voice calls or data in the middle of streaming a movies on Netflix that u are viewing on ur computer via mywi on Verizon. It would be annoying to have the movie cut off with The way Verizon does data.

Plus Verizon's 3G is known to be slower than ATT (yeah yeah I know in congested areas like New York and SF) but for the most part ATT 3 G is faster than Verizon.

9. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

Good points, not really planning to stream anything major like Netflix, just maybe some lite web browsing and email. Good to know about the speed though.

10. erayser macrumors 65816

erayser

I have to agree on the speed and coverage. AT&T 3G is a lot faster than Verizon's 3G when I connect my iPhone to my Verizon 2200 mifi portable hotspot. However, I have better coverage with Verizon's 3G. When I went a conference in SF, I mainly used my iPhone with the Verizon mifi because AT&T 3G was very spotty.

I don't plan on switching carriers because Verizon's phone coverage is very poor in my neighborhood... compared to Verizon. Verizon knew about the coverage in my area so they let me out our contract with no penalty. If AT&T take's away my unlimited data, it won't hurt me at all. I haven't gone over 2gb of data in a month since the iPhone 2G. I'm not out enough to use that much data. My home and work has wifi, so I don't use that much 3G data.

11. Bonds79 thread starter macrumors 6502

I think i am still leaning to VZW due to unlimited data and better coverage, your examples above sound like big baby non issues.:rolleyes:

I usually pause movies anyway when on the phone, and Not sure i want a phone that is still tethering while i have the phone to my ear on a call. Just seems like an added unneccessary dose of radiation for the tethered data...........................

12. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Shouldn’t the “use” in the thread title be modified to “abuse?"

13. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Isnt Att sticking the tethering plan (via text warning) on anyone who tethers? Even if it's just a tiny amount of tethering?

14. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

Which you shouldn't be doing in the first place according to the contract you signed?

15. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

I only tether when I need to and there is no other wifi around. I doubt they are going to come after me (or even notice) that I use 100MB a month tethering.

16. chestvrg macrumors 65816

chestvrg

Wao, Verizon Vs. Verizon :)

17. chestvrg macrumors 65816

chestvrg

As of precaution I already uninstalled my MyWi app from my iPhone 4 just to be on the safe side.

18. erayser macrumors 65816

erayser

LOL... I didn't notice that.

My intention is not to make this a versus thread. I believe people should go with the carrier that gives them the best service in the area they live in. It doesn't make sense for someone to go with a carrier that has a poor signal in their area, and drains battery because it can't find a signal... just because they hate the other carrier. That's how I made my decision... even though I'm not a fan of we ended up with.

19. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

How are folks abusing the Mywi app

20. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Because if you have unlimited data you didn't sign an agreement that said you had unlimited data on every device you could figure out how to get connected. Not to mention that technically while not illegal, jailbreaking a device is a violation of the TOS with most all of the carriers. Hence "abuse".

Now if you're on a restricted data plan where you pay for what you eat, I think restricting tethering is a reach, but that's a different conversation.

21. Vizin, Apr 23, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  22. Bonds79 thread starter macrumors 6502

Since VZW's mifi 3G/4G hotspots are selling like hotcakes and they make a lot of money selling mifi data plans, Hopefully that means VZW will never stop us from using unlimited iphone data to power the mywi app.

23. JPIndustrie macrumors 6502a

JPIndustrie

Thanks for the lesson in business ethics, but let's just skip to the 'false advertising' part and we can debate what the word 'unlimited' means.

24. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

Sounds like that might be abusing the "unlimited" data plan, but not sure i understand how it abuses the APP MyWi. Maybe i am reading the title of the thread wrong.

Anyway, so if i sign up for a 2 GB plan with AT&T and then from time to time use the MyWi app to tether my iPad that might be ok.

25. jesusplay macrumors 6502a

att hasnt kicked anyone off...thats bogus...I got a warning 2 months ago and I've downlloaded about 600GB this year....