Since Hind Sight is 20/20 ... would you have waited to buy iP4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Safari King, Jun 29, 2010.

1. Safari King macrumors member

I'm just curious to ask those that already have their iPhones, because I will be buying one soon (or earlier), but my point is this; Based on what you know today, would you have waited another month or so to buy your iPhone, or are you glad you pre ordered, stood in line, camped out, etc. to get the one you have today?

I see multiple post of folks taking their phones back to get replacements that have the same issues. Having to buy a case to eliminate signal loss, sounds like putting a band aid on a cut that needs stitches. I see folks that say they have no problem, and folks that have every problem.

I'm not into Android, have had every iPhone made and now a 3GS and have several other things that are Apple, but not a fanatic fanboy either... It just love Apple quality... I guess I'm ultimately trying to decide if getting an iPhone 4 today, whether it has issues or not, and making this purchase based on "a fix" that may or may not be coming soon is sound logic.

Just curious as to your feelings on this since you have been through the experience of the purchase already.

This is not meant to be a negative "let's bash Apple some more" thread.

Thanks.

2. virx macrumors member

I personally did not experience any problems with my iPhone 4 - so yes, I would preorder it again. I would still not go camping it or standing in line for many hours - it is not my idea of fun.

3. shadygrove macrumors regular

No regrets here. I bought one for me and my girlfriend on launch day. My co worker got one as well, and we have all been completely satisfied. The signal issue is visible in all the phones, none can say that it has effected call (and data) quality or reliability.

4. cwubbels macrumors regular

cwubbels

I had a 3GS prior to the 4.

I reserved and arrived at my local Apple store ~5:30am. It was a fun product launch and I have zero problems with my phone.

I was also able to purchase a bumper, which could be part of my trouble free phone.

The display is stellar, battery life is better than expected and it is really fast.

Anyways, totally worth the money, time, etc...

5. Prise macrumors regular

I'm a phone and tech enthusiast at heart, and have a higher sensitivity to imperfections (like dead pixels!), and lower tolerance to flaws.

At this point, I would wait until Apple offers a workaround, or clarifies if this antenna issue is hardware or software related. And, most importantly, if it can be resolved adequately.

6. mrblack927 macrumors 6502a

mrblack927

7. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I was planning on an "I get it when I get it" strategy for my iPhone 4 even before it came out, not planning to wait in line or anything, that is until my 3GS was ripped off a week and a half before launch day. At that point I had no choice, and lucked out scoring a pre-order despite all the ordering glitches.

Thankfully my iPhone 4 is problem free, so no regrets. but then again, even despite losing my other previous iPhone, I was still somewhat blasé about this. The lines were way too long for me; I would't have waited around. I guess it's because I'm not letting this phone rule/ruin my life that I don't understand the outrageous obsession people have over it, and the righteous indignation about the antenna thing.

If I DID have the antenna problem, I would've returned mine and maybe checked out a Blackberry or maybe a Droid. I wouldn't be happy about it in the least. But at least I wouldn't be throwing tantrums; the problem would be resolved.

Besides, my significant other would kill me if my calls kept dropping on her. For me, gf > gadget.

8. LordOBoogie macrumors 6502a

LordOBoogie

9. diabolic macrumors 68000

No, I'm glad I didn't wait. My wife and I are having no problems at all with our new iPhones. Both have amazing screens and we are experiencing no reception issues where we are.

For anyone thinking it's not a big step up from the 3GS, you need to think again.

10. JediZenMaster macrumors 68000

JediZenMaster

My iPhone 4 experience has been awesome and luckily my iP4 has been problem free :D

11. ecschwarz macrumors 65816

ecschwarz

I would've preordered mine at the local AT&T retail store, instead of ordering on AT&T Premier. I had a friend who I went with who preordered at the store and got his on the 23rd—I'm still waiting.

12. ipoddin macrumors 6502a

ipoddin

Agreed. I'd reserve it again. But I'll never stand in line for 5 hours again. Shipping next time.

13. DynaFXD macrumors 6502a

DynaFXD

Nope. Would have done the same thing (ATT pre-order for home delivery) aqain and will likely do the same thing two years from now.

14. joegomolski macrumors 6502

joegomolski

Will do it again!

I've bought every iPhone generation, and am so pleased.
    I was lucky to have my pre ordered iPhone 4 delivered on 06/23. And I have been loving it everyday. Would I do it again? You bet. I am an early adoptor and have always purchased 1st gen Apple products, and 1st gen Canon EOS too!
    My iPhone 4 has no flaws that I have discovered, yet. I have not dropped it, and have ordered a case for protection. But I always get a case for my iPhones. The idea that I could drop any iPhone and not suffered damage is a non starter. I am a bit clumpsy and do drop stuff, so I am not buying a case for my iPhone 4 because of the breathless stories, "iPhone 4 will break if you drop it!" I'm buying a case, because it makes sense.
    As far as the 3G signal issue, I live in a semi rural area, and I am not experiencing any loss of signal or dropped calls. The signal symbol on my 4 does not differ whether or not I'm holding the 4 or it's on my desk or in the car.

15. Peanut207 macrumors 6502

Peanut207

Nope. I am loving it! Huge upgrade from my 3G. The iphone4 is lightning fast and the display is gorgeous. Haven't dropped one call since I've had it. Now that I have a bumper on the bars don't drop at all. Non issue

16. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I just wish...

..nothing. ;)

A better day is had not letting that which is nothing turn into something it isn't.

I'm too busy enjoying my iPhone, using my iPhone, having a real life, to have any problems with it.

17. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Nah. I agree with Andy Ihnatko's conclusion:

Bottom line on this bit: be aware of the problem ... but overall, don’t worry about it.

I can create the problem. It's real. But it hasn't really affected my ability to use the phone in a real-world way.

18. Russiaone macrumors 6502

No. I'm happy with what I got. I knew what I was getting myself into when I stood in line for it. Heard and read about the reception problems and yellow tint. People should be better informed before they buy stuff. iPhone 4-life. But I wonder what'll happen when Steve Job dies.

19. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

No. I'm enjoying the hell out this phone and now that I'm not fixated on a 2mm sized part of the phone, I have no issues.

20. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

Judging by the line I just passed this AM at the AT&T store, and that current site is much better than 20/20- I would guess the answer is a resounding no.

My answer is also no, I'm fine with it.

21. malnar macrumors 6502a

malnar

The fact that I happily and willingly coughed up another $300 for a second Iphone 4 for my wife an hour ago (ordered, I should say) says it all. It's incredible. This antenna issue is a minor speedbump, at best, and people are making a ridiculously huge problem out of it by going out of their way to make it happen. As others have said, you know about it, so until there's a fix, just be mindful of it. I don't tend to hold my Iphone that way so I don't tend to see the problem too often. (I'm not entirely comfortable with the explanation that it's a common issue on current cellphones, even though I've seen the evidence, but I'm also not comfortable with the level of over-the-top anger over this, either.)

22. Savor Suspended

Savor

I had the easiest and most stress-free launch day without any long waits, so I would do it all over again if I had to. And no problems with my phone either. Just came back from San Diego, and been loving it since. I love that I can listen to an entire album, and it would drain like 1%. Camera is great. Speaker is great. Much louder and clearer than the 2G. I get about 7-9 hours of mainly wifi depending on the settings. Good enough for me. I was happy to find out I could watch unfiltered DailyMotion videos last night just by visiting the site and clicking the vid. Some top XXX sites for iPhone are looking great too! My first gen iPod touch can't stream them, but my iPhone 4 can! I am now addicted to anything Apple again. There just isn't phone out right now providing the slickest experience and solid hardware without compromising battery life. This phone has a 5+ year life cycle even if we move to 4G. I'm now eager for the next big launch - Nintendo 3DS!

23. ballen420 macrumors 6502

I certainly wouldn't have sold my 3GS if I knew I was going to have the issues I've had. I love the phone, but I can barely use it as a phone - my reception is horrible. I had no issues using my 3GS at my house and now I can't use this phone without it either dropping a call or not being able to hear the person on the other end.

This has nothing to do with holding it in my left hand - I hold it in my right. I've been able to recreate the signal degradation in my left, but that isn't the issue - it's the fact that the reception is a lot poorer in my experience.

I'm really hoping it's a defective phone. Right now I want my 3GS back.

24. Shanewilliams macrumors 6502a

Definitely! I would've waited until they had all the bugs worked out of them, then bought.