Since idvd is no longer offered in OS-X Lion what do you use

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bt22, Jan 24, 2012.

1. bt22 macrumors 6502

I have recently started trying my hand at iMovie and want to be able to put some family movies onto DVD. I am curious what others use to create DVD's not that Lion does not offer iDVD.

Thanks,

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. ObuckiO macrumors regular

So if your Mac comes with "Lion" pre-installed, you have to spend $49.99 to get iDVD, but iMovie, iPhoto and Garageband which already comes with new Mac's You can't just get iDVD, i take it. Do they want you to buy iLife for just that reason. Does that mean you already has iMovie11 iPhoto11, etc. or the older versions?
    Kinda seems unfair....I upgraded iMovie11 only(when it came out), when i had Snow Leopard on MBP. I recently put Lion on Mac and still have iDVD.
    iPhoto and GarageBand is still '09..I guess i'll have to pay some time though.

4. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

I recall reading past threads on this forum where folks said they called up apple, asked for a copy of iDVD and were provided a copy at no charge.

5. dknightd macrumors 6502

That is a strange marketing decision - even for Apple. Though they are making record profits so it must be working.

I suspect since Apple's playground does not really include DVD's they decided to stop allowing users to easily create them. Perhaps they expect everybody to get an ipad, or appletv.

And no iWeb. I guess mac users are no longer interested in making web sites, or, perhaps apple has something new and better planned.

Edit. To answer the OPs question. I still use an old version of iDVD (which is the same one they include with ilife '11)

6. sigamy macrumors 65816

Look for a used copy of iLife on eBay or in the Marketplace forum. You should be able to get one with iDVD and iWeb for around $20.

7. Clint007 macrumors member

Before buying Toast or iLife11... a FREE SOLUTION...

I have a new iMac with Lion (recently upgrade to 10.7.3), I found the iDVD is absent. :apple: :(

But I find a working solution it is "Burn"
    Note the latest upgrade is dated: 2011-6-29 and no mention with Lion, but I can told you, IT IS WORKING perfectly. :)
    From a VHS via ElGato to iMovie...

Yes, it is free with multi-language for use.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/burn-osx/
    http://burn-osx.sourceforge.net/Pages/English/home.html

Clint007
    Now, many will be busy making copies. lol