Since iMessaging is coming out, should I downgrade to 10 dollar text messaging plan

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by egeek84, Oct 9, 2011.

1. egeek84 macrumors 6502

egeek84

Right now I have unlimited texting with ATT. Should I downgrade to the 10 dollar 1000 messages plan? What are you guys gonna do?

2. EmbraceTheOne macrumors 6502a

Depends if your friends have an iPhone or not.

3. irDigital0l Guest

If lots of your friends/family also have iOS devices.

4. bmms8 macrumors 68020

like embrace said, it depends. I'm on a family plan so its best to keep unlimited.

5. amann76 macrumors 6502

amann76

they need to hurry i looked at my bill and i am 120+ messages over this month

6. drb1992 macrumors 6502

drb1992

Depends on how many and how often you text people who don't have an iOS device. My mom pays for unlimited texting for our family plan, so I won't be down grading. Plus, I only knew a couple people who own an iOS device.

7. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

I thought At&t got rid of all the text messaging plans except for the $30 unlimited texting.

8. jason221 macrumors 6502

Didn't they get rid of the cheaper texting plans? All I'm seeing is "unlimited" when I view the options in my wireless familyplan account.

9. ihav0frnds macrumors 6502

tis true, those greedy bastards

10. egeek84 thread starter macrumors 6502

egeek84

oooh wait nm, yeah i just looked, that plan is gone, WOW!

11. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

It's either unlimited or nothing! AT&T took out all the other plans. It's nothing for me. iPhone imessages are free of course. :)

12. supervelous macrumors 6502

AT&T saw this coming from a mile away...I mostly talk to people with Iphones and was going to downgrade my unlimited text plan....once AT&T saw imessages, they eliminated every text plan except for unlimited. Now it's either $20 for unlimited or pay per text, where only 100 total equals $20 at $0.20 per message.

This actually pissed me off, as I was going to downgrade to the $5 or $10 option. So I got a Google Voice number, gave people I know don't have ios that as my new phone number, and started getting my texts free via Google Voice.

The downside was the Google Voice app conversations were kind of wonky, i'd sometimes have to look at the message a couple of times to clear it as "read", and sometimes I'd be typing a reply and all of a sudden the keyboard would go away and I'd lose everything I'd typed.

But, I jailbroke, installed a great tweak called SMS GV Extension, which integrates your Google Voice texts with the native messages app...yes, basically every sms i send from messages app goes from my Google Voice number, and I receive into native messages app as well!

When I send to someone else with ios5, it goes through imessage using my regular number too!

The only downside is I can't get MMS, and I sent myself an MMS from my girlfriends iphone and it looked like it went through on her phone, but I didn't receive. So the person could think they successfully sent them a pic, but you won't get it. I can send MMS from native messages app, but it sends from my normal number. To me, small price to pay to save $20/month.

So, everyone who I talk to with no IOS now has my Google Voice number, all ios will go thru imessage, and I will be telling AT&T where to stick their overpriced sms plan in about a month. In 2 days I've been talking via native messages app (also utilizing bitesms) non-stop, checked my usage and no sms used!

13. allmanbrother macrumors member

+1

14. fullojellybeans macrumors regular

That's it? I'm 8 days into the cycle and over 2300.