iPhone XS Max Since iPhone loyalty is dropping. Do you think they will raise the price of this years phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Renho, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Renho macrumors 68000

Renho

2. Freakonomics101 macrumors 68020

Freakonomics101

I think part of the reason is iOS. People get bored with it when they don’t think about performance and security. Dark mode with iOS 13 will help with attraction.

But hey, everyone has different needs. There are pros and cons to both Android and iOS.

3. FFR Suspended

FFR

Don’t think 6800 iPhone users switching to a cheaper Samsung in June is going to impact apples decisions on pricing.

Especially when kantar is reporting that the iPhone Xr is the best selling phone for the same period as the report.

The iPhone XS was the 3rd best selling phone for the same period, even with its high price, go figure.

4. Devyn89 macrumors 6502

Devyn89

5. Shirasaki macrumors G3

Shirasaki

Brand loyalty carries no value, and users can easily make a decision to switch to another platform in a pinch. Also, given the sheer amount of Apple device users, I seriously doubt price decision will change even if 10k users leave Apple overnight.

6. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I gather I’m repeating myself here, but Tim Cook already mentioned they’re not focusing on ‘Lowering the prices’, they’re focusing on revamping the trade-in policy/services for the iPhone, Apple traditionally has never been about lowering iPhones, unless they’re discounted when they announce the new iPhone models. Apple will make it more lucrative for the consumer to trade their device in through whatever alterations they will likely discuss this fall for the iPhone pricing structure.

7. sammy2066 macrumors 6502a

Raising prices on this year's iPhones may not bode well for Apple.

8. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

Sales and loyalty decline... so you raise prices? o_O

9. appleguy2019 Suspended

appleguy2019

I have no problem with the price of this years XS Max, but I don't see them raising the price any more.

I also, even out of customer requests, see them lowering it either.

I think the current pricing structure for XR, XS, and XS Max sized phones will stay exactly. Unless they do something fancier with the R series phone, maybe increase that. But the XS and XS Max sized phones will be the same price.

10. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

I'm pretty sure this year we'll finally get the iPhone Edition with a $1000 gold-played dock. ;)

on a more serious note: I doubt they'll raise the price.

11. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Price could be higher for the top flagship phones but overall Apple will keep the prices about the same.

When it comes to privacy/security, I will pick Apple anytime.

Android/google are avoided around my house.

12. I7guy macrumors Core

I7guy

There’s churn in both directions and Apple expects it. Apple is basically a measure twice and cut once company. I do t expect the prices of phones to change much, if any. And now Apple has some competition (if that’s a good thing) in the high-prices dept.

13. BigDO macrumors 6502a

BigDO

Raising prices further will be a wrong move, so I doubt it.

As long as Android apps have the polish of a high school project iphone has my loyalty.

14. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

Studies say? So no real proof then....

Sure many may trade in their iPhones for android but bet you find a lot end up returning straight back like many on here have....as android still doesn’t compare in key areas for a lot of people compared to iPhones.

15. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I think that many who leave will be back after a good dose of Android and Google.

16. ScreenSavers macrumors 6502a

ScreenSavers

They’d argue that the price hasn’t gone up. Because the XS starts at the same price as iPhone X. But I do think the price I had to pay for the XS Max is insane. Wouldn’t it be nice if they started at like $199 with a carrier plan again?

17. Oridus macrumors 6502a

Oridus

I agree. I’ll also note that google needs to do a much better job at filtering the junk on their Play Store. Too many apps are showed to display ads anywhere they want in the os. Incredibly sloppy.

18. CrazyForCashews macrumors 6502

That's the opposite thing they should do.

Everyone that I talk to about smartphones in general say that they're too damn expensive.

19. pika2000 macrumors 603

Loyalty is just one factor. There's customer satisfaction (which iPhone still carriers a high mark), and also actual sales and revenue. Since only Apple knows about the actual numbers, anybody else talking about it is just speculating at best.

What imo Apple should be doing is making their iPhone upgrade program available in all markets. Apple is at a huge disadvantage in some markets (eg. in some markets, the XR is more expensive than the Galaxy S10). If Apple cannot change their pricing points to match their actual intended positioning (due to regulations, tariffs, taxes, etc), then the next best thing is to have iUP available in all markets. Most people will definitely balk if they have to pay $1000 right off the gate for an iPhone XR (yes, in some countries, that's the starting price of the iPhone XR, not the advertised US$750), but they probably will be okay paying $40 a month with a guarantee of getting the latest iPhone every year.

Apple, just like many US companies, are still seeing the market from a US-glasses. Imo they need to start thinking about what non-US iPhone users want. They definitely started with dual-SIM support (although the decision to go eSIM is dumb).

20. Abazigal macrumors G4

Abazigal

Unless of course that particular piece of news was completely inaccurate.

21. FFR Suspended

FFR

You might be right to question the accuracy of said report.

iPhones seem to be doing quite well in q2.
    Xs Max was third best selling handset during the same time period as that report, xr was number 1.

iPhone U.S. Market Share Remains Strong for Q2 2019 as iPhone XR Named Best-Selling Model During This Period
    https://wccftech.com/iphone-us-market-share-q2-2019/

iPhone sales have also increased in China, India, Germany, Italy and Australia during the same quarter.

Some might be surprised when apple releases their q2 numbers at the end of the month. Feels like the iPhone X all over again.

22. ksec, Jul 19, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2019

ksec macrumors 6502a

I am expecting the 11S to have the same price Tier at $999 and $1099, except they will start with 128GB Storage.

11R will likely start at $769 with 128GB Storage. So I am not sure if this is consider a price increase from $749 64GB in XR or a decrease from $799 128GB.

The iPhone 8 will drop to the iPhone 7 128GB Price range, again start with 128GB.

You could view this as getting more than a normal price drop, for some it will be viewed as yet again pushing the average pricing of iPhone.

Again it is important to point out, Sales Market Share are not important. What is more important is Active User. The day you read about Apple has lower than its last accounted iPhone Active User is the day you we ( and Apple ) should be worry about. Currently Apple sits at 900M Active iPhone User and still growing, with a slightly slower pace. And on course to achieve 1B Active iPhone user by 2020.

23. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I’m not sure I’d use the “in a pinch”

I just bought my first iPhone since the iPhone 4 and it wasn’t exactly quick or painless and I have Mac’s and iPad’s

24. tranceking26 macrumors 6502

tranceking26

I hope the prices don't go up even further any time soon, but if they do I'll remain loyal.

25. naturalstar macrumors 6502a

naturalstar

Apple probably has a sales threshold where they will consider lowering prices. I don’t believe they are anywhere near that point, however.

I can see keeping prices the same on the 2019 phones based on their sales expectations.
    I can see dropping the price on the 2018 phones that may be offered for another year.
    I can see a more than likely price bump in 2020 with all the improvement rumors floating around for that year’s release.

Even if Apple does lose some iPhone customers next year, it’s not their only market. Apple has been looking at a few areas for growth - services being the main one to point towards.