Since the 4s uses almost twice as much data...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by itsjustmeee, Jan 7, 2012.

1. itsjustmeee macrumors 6502a

It seems to me that since the 4s uses almost twice as much data as a 4 ....

http://www.bgr.com/2012/01/06/iphone-4s-owners-consume-almost-twice-as-much-data-as-iphone-4-users/

AT&T should raise the data cap accordingly. I happen to be grandfathered in with an unlimited plan but it just seems unfair that someone who basically has upgraded their phone should have to keep an eye on not going over their plan just to access the built-in features of a new phone (streaming aside). I know that's where AT&T makes a ton of dough and there's not much we can do about it, but it doesn't seem right.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It only uses more if you use Siri. Other then that, it uses the same about as an iPhone 4 when used in a similar way.

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Untrue Siri dosnt use a lot of data.

The increase will be due to larger image files and the novilty factor. Nothing else or is there something else......

How many 'dumb users' are out there rocking a 4s without turning off diagnostic data etc.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The same amount of users have it turned on on the 4 and possibly the 3Gs.

5. itsjustmeee thread starter macrumors 6502a

Even if this was true, I wouldn't want to limit the most important feature of my new iphone just because AT&T has an unrealistic data plan for it.

6. stevemiller macrumors 65816

its been determined that siri uses on average something like 100kb/request (http://arst.ch/rg1). if you used it 10 times a day every day, it would be 30mb/month, so its not likely doubling people's data usage.

also, i think you may be misreading the results in general. its not that the 4S uses more more data, it is *users* of the 4S that consume more, likely because everything is faster so you are compelled to do more.

i recently took advantage of a 6gb promo through my carrier; the main benefits for me will be increased music/video streaming when i'm on transit or at the gym. but sticking to web/email/maps on the go, i was well served even by the paltry 500mb plan i had previously.

7. fins831 macrumors 6502a

I still have my unlimited data from ATT so this doesn't affect me....yet. If the next iPhone is LTE (id wager it will be) than I am positive ATT will find a way to get me off the unlimited, so I'd prob keep my 4S for an extra year or until they run a promotion for more than 2GB of data per month, I tend to use about 3.

30 bucks for 2GB isn't enough, verizons recent promotion of 4GB for 30 would be ideal. If ATT wants me to get rid of unlimited, they will have to really pull me off it, HSPA+ speeds are fast enough for me.

8. takeshi74 macrumors 601

An average according to a survey doesn't mean that "twice as much data" is a hard and fixed rule. As with anything, data usage varies by user.

Everyone on a capped data plan has to do that regardless of what device or when they upgraded. If you want at&t to change then contact them. Starting a thread here won't bring about the change you're expecting.

Most important is highly subjective. I never use Siri. Stop parroting the market speak. Again, if you think at&t impinging on your ability to use Siri or other features of your 4s then contact them. Better yet, put your money where your mouth is and switch carriers.

9. DroidRules macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

What takeshi said.

The phone only uses what data the USER tells it to consume, so blaming the 4s for more data usage is stupid.

10. Furifo macrumors 6502

How do you guys use so much data?

I'm not saying this in order to spark an argument, I'm merely curious. I get 1GB/month which is more than enough for when I'm out and about. When I'm not out, I'm either at home (wifi), at my rented place in the city where I attend University (wifi) or on University campus (wifi).

I'm guessing you guys must stream alot of videos when you're out on your travels?

11. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

I just bought a new sports car with amazing handling, but it drinks gas at twice the rate of my old Tercel. The gas station should cut the price of gas considering I have to use more now.

12. itsjustmeee thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't know. Did the gas station actually sell you that car and then tell you that you can only drive 100 miles a month and then charge you some ridiculous for every mile you go over?

13. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I don't understand that nonsense "4S uses twice as more data" ...

if I load a web page on both phones, they'll use the same amount of data.

if I load a web page on both phones, and Siri on the 4S, the 4S will use more data, obviously.

14. lysernix macrumors newbie

rampant data usage on 4S

Yes, it does defy logic... but SOMETHING is either using more data, or reporting more data...

I had a 3GS From June 2009 - November 2011.

Never once did I ever go over 200MB. I didn't use it much sure:

I WOULD: check occasional sports scores on ESPN app, use the weather app probably twice per day, check email (but not push, just manually) probably 5 times a week, use the maps feature quite often - 4-5 times per week for several hours, go running with Nike+ GPS a few times a month, look up stuff on wikipedia / general web site queries 4-5 times per week, use GeoCaching App which used location data about 2 times a week for several hours

I WOULD NOT: watch youtube or any other streaming video, stream audio, social media

This equated to 40MB - 175MB a month, every month, with 0 exceptions for 30 months straight.

I also didn't tweak any settings on the 3GS (never had to).

When I got my 4S on November 22nd 2011 I left Siri on, did not set up iCloud. My billing cycle started on 24th. By three days into my billing cycle I had used 114MB. At this point I went in and really tweaked every last setting there was:

DELETED iCloud account info.
    Turned off most location services (but left some on like camera, nike gps+, compass).
    Turned off Siri.
    Turned off diagnostic reporting.
    Went through EVERY app and disabled notifcations.
    Turned off images on email.
    Eliminated EVERYTHING from Notification center.
    Etc, etc... I'm pretty sure I hit most everything -- but let me know if it looks like I missed something.

To avoid "background" data use, I have now resorted to disabling Cell Data any time I am not actively using it.

Yesterday I spent between 10:30am - 2:00pm using the Geocaching App for about 2 hours, maps for a couple of locations, and went on a 3 mile 30 minute run with Nike GPS. This 3.5 hour window in which I enabled Cell Data somehow managed to use 53MB of data.

With my 3GS I used to do things like this DAILY without EVER turning off my cell data and NEVER ONCE in 30 months had to worry about my data usage.

I'm quite frustrated to say the least.

15. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

There is probably a background process running wild using data. It may be why the battery "problems" have been showing up. even when idle, it is staying connected and using data.

16. DerekTS macrumors regular

Why even have an iPhone 4S if you aren't going to use any of the features? Just sell it and go back to a 3GS or 4 then. :rolleyes:

17. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

...perhaps not everyone is constantly within range of WiFi or, if they are, care to use it. Plenty of people refuse to use their work WiFi because they don't want their office to monitor their usage.

Just because some people spend the majority of their time in WiFi, that doesn't mean that everyone does.

18. cynics macrumors G3

I use around 2 gig a month on my iPhone (a lot of streaming and everything is on). And I'll use around 10 - 25 gig a month on my LTE tablet that I use the hotspot for my home wifi.

Why get this tech if you aren't going to use it? At least that's the way I look at it.

If all I did was check sports scores I'd get a dumb phone and call a friend an ask.

19. lysernix macrumors newbie

Since I never had a 4, I got it to upgrade to better camera (even better than the 4's right?), better processor (I do play games on it ... GTA3, Infinity Blade, Geometry Wars, Final Fantasy, Minecraft, Pocket Legends, GTA:CTW), and better battery life... which my battery life has been fine since 5.0.1.

That's why I got it. Siri was a cool novelty but it has some issues... like why does it need to connect to the internet if I just want to use to to call someone? I.e. "Call Jill" - "sorry no internet connection available".

But... I may see about going to a 4. Both my wife and daughter have a 4 and they don't seem to be having this issue... Wife about like me and uses < 200MB per month, daughter is on the 2GB plan and both of their data is still normalized after going to iOS 5.