Since the patriot act extension wasn't actually signed by Obama, is it legal?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by likemyorbs, Jun 26, 2011.

1. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Sorry , the Unpatriotic act or parts of it are still in effect. Presidents dont care about whats legal or not anymore because Congress cant do anything about it anyways. There to busy getting campaign donations / bribes from multinational corporations. Sorry for the bad news.

3. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

In my mind, yes it has. I mentioned this a while ago and no one had a response.

4. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

well even then give it so many days it because an automatic law since he did not veto it. So what if it was renewed on day 1 or day 15. Either way it was extended so it does not matter.

5. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Sooner or later the people allways become the enemy of the state. This has happened over and over in history and why the framers of the Constitution worked so very hard to put in protections for the people not the control freaks in govt. The very protections our useless politicians are tearing down bit by bit law after law after law such as the patriot act. Thank the republicans for this one. The Patriot act is a disgrace to Liberty and Freedom. I doubt there is any phone call,any statement made on the internet that isnt being recorded and dissected by our own govt.

6. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I couldn't find enough specific information about the day of the week the Patriot Act was sent to the White House, but the issue about autopens might be moot anyway in this instance.

If Congress was still in session 10 days (excluding Sundays) after Obama was presented with the bill, then it automatically becomes law under the Constitution.

If Congress was not in session, then there's a real problem because technically bills without a signature are DOA (also called a pocket veto).

On the one hand, the Constitution only requires a signature, which is a way to authenticate a President's approval of a bill. Technically a signature could take any form, but the underlying premise has always been that a President do it himself.

On the other hand, if Obama made public that he would "sign" the bill because he approved of it, and if he directed the autopen to be put to use, hasn't he authenticated his desire to validate the bill and make it law? If a nefarious character were to use the autopen machine and sign dozens of bills without the President's knowledge or approval, wouldn't we know of it relatively quickly?

7. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Is it legal for laws to circumvent the constitution, not just the patriot act but the 1000s of laws that have been passed that slowly take way our freedoms with the intent to "protect us from ourselves".