Since unlimited is throttled at 2GB, who is going to switch to ATTs new $30/3GB plan?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ap3604, Jan 19, 2012.

1. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Of course everyone has already seen the new AT&T data plans coming out this Sunday, but seeing the new prices and data amounts it brings up an important question:

Since AT&T legacy users with "unlimited" data plans ($30/mo) now get throttled after a mere 2GB of data to near useless speeds, why not spend the same amount and actually get 3GB on the new plan instead of only 2GB on the old "unlimited" plan???

Anyone here already set on making the switch to the new 3GB plan for the extra data?

2. ap3604 thread starter macrumors 68000

Guess it seems rather quiet with the jailbreak coming out...

Either that or people just don't want to accept / admit the change?

3. roxxette macrumors 68000

roxxette

Where i live "unlimited data" was capped at 1gb and speed downgraded to 256kb , recently they bumped the cap to 5gb !!! but now speed downgrade to 128kb :) if anyone likes to know Carrier is Orange and country Dominican Republic

4. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I wish they would just come up with a plan so that you simply pay for what you use. I am still on unlimited but know it will not last for ever. Some months if traveling I would use a LOT other hardly any data.

I just want to be charged with what I use at a reasonable rate and forget the gimmick plans from the carriers:mad:

5. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

In Canada, two of the discount operators (sub-brands of the main carriers) have introduced self-adjusting data plans.

With Virgin Mobile, they are only available for feature phones and the very lowest-end smartphones. With Koodo, they are available for all phones except Blackberries.

Basically, you start out with a base price of $5 per month for the first 25 MB. (With Virgin, if you don't use any data at all for the month, then the base rate is $0 -- but as soon as you use the first bit of data, you're bumped into the $5/25MB bucket.)

As soon as you exceed 25 MB, you're automatically bumped into the 100 MB tier, for $5 extra - a total of $10 for the month. (You always automatically reset back to the lowest tier at the start of the next month.)

Once you exceed 100 MB, you're upgraded to the 300 MB tier for another $5 extra - a total of $15 for the month.

Over 300 MB, you're bumped up to the 1GB tier for another $5 - a total of $20 for the month.

Over 1 GB, you enter the 3GB tier for an additional $10, or $30 for the month.

Above 3 GB, you pay an overage rate of 2 cents per MB, or approximately $20 per GB (all overages are rounded up to the next MB).

6. Alisstar macrumors 6502

Alisstar

Data isn't throttled at 2GB. Last month I used over 6GB and I wasn't throttled. That has been the case for me, at least as of today.

7. utwarreng macrumors 6502

utwarreng

Stop spreading misinformation. AT&T's unlimited data plans aren't capped or throttled at 2GB. They're throttled when you're in the TOP 5% of data users, NOT when you pass the 2GB barrier. I use 3-4GB of data per month and have never been throttled.

8. GraphicsGeek macrumors 6502a

I got a text last month saying I was in the top 5% after using 2.1 GB on my unlimited plan. So the OP isn't all the way wrong. I think the consensus was it depends on your location. There's a massive thread on this. To answer the OP's question, I may switch depending on if I get another text or not from AT&T. I'm usually between 3-4 GB/month.

9. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

If it really different depending on location then, yes, the OP is all the way wrong.

I can't say "it's raining everywhere" and then get partial credit because it's raining somewhere. Nope, that statement would just be considered wrong.

10. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

I'm seriously considering switching to the 2GB plan for $25 (before it goes away on Sunday) from my $30 unlimited plan since I have never used more than 500MB in a month so far anyway.

My co-worker that is also on the unlimited plan has started getting the top 5% warning texts this month even though she's only used 1.6GB so far with 10 days left in her billing cycle. This is in the Dallas area too which is one of AT&T's most robust network locations, so I'm not sure that location matters anymore.

To start throttling users at around 2GB is absolutely ridiculous and defeats the entire purpose of having the "unlimited" data plan in the first place. :rolleyes: So I'm heavily leaning toward just taking my chances with the 2GB plan and saving the $5 per month anyway at this point.

11. jaynone macrumors member

Wow, I've got a 6 gig for $30 plan here in Canada. I thought it would have been much cheaper down south.

12. Ste Nova macrumors 6502

I feel sorry for you guys over there, I usually download 20gb and upload 25gb a month, one month a had 60gb down :) no caps, no thottling :D

13. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

I've been unlimited since the first iPhone (and I make sure to use my data) and I go over 2 GB often skyping with my friends overseas...never been throttled and never got a text...

14. ap3604 thread starter macrumors 68000

To the people who say "AT&T doesn't throttle" I got this directly from AT&T's website with a simple google search :rolleyes:

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB410281&cv=820&ct=5900004&pv=3#fbid=5Yf6LSAC_Ay

http://www.att.com/esupport/article...ent+of+smartphone+customers?#fbid=5Yf6LSAC_Ay

Sure you might not get throttled... YET... but its coming for you too soon enough which is why I posted this question ;)

15. dehory macrumors regular

They have. It's called GoPhone.

16. Pumapayam, Jan 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2012

Pumapayam macrumors member

Pumapayam

Documents on how to raise the throttling limit

So, doing the math, if the top 5% is 2.00 GB and as of recent, throttling seem to start at around 2.00 GB, or as they state 12 X more that the average user. That would mean 95% of people are using 0.17 GB

So if the lower 95% starts averaging 0.50 GB, that would push throttling up 6.00 GB.

I directly, these new plans will help raise the throttling ceiling limit we currently are experiencing.

FYI I got my notice at 5.20 GB last month.

17. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Yeah, but phone companies generally aren't reasonable. The gimmick plans are designed to squeeze as much money out of you as possible (by doing stuff like making you pay for unlimited when they throttle it after 2GB, or making you pay for more than you need), while still trying to make you believe your getting a good or reasonable deal.

We'd all love reasonable and honest deals from phone companies, but it isn't happening.

----------

Holy crap... You must live in a massive city :eek:

18. mgipe macrumors demi-god

mgipe

Clearly, AT&T is hoping to push more customers out of its unlimited plan.

19. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Some some extent this is true but there is also the a$$hole user who will download movie after movie via 3G slowing the net work for all of us. For those who do this they should have to pay for the bandwidth.

There are many who would and will take advantage if the carrier let them. This forum is proof of that!

20. ZipZap macrumors 601

Perhaps for that month you were in the top 5%.

----------

Keep in mind the top 5% will vary month to month.

21. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

Ya greedy people using a service they paid for to do whats advertised on that service. Just like all of those people who buy cups of coffee and drink the whole thing, or buy cars and them drive them all over the country. Just because you pay for something doesnt give you the right to use it as advertised what do they think this is the USA. well its not anymore, unless you own a bank or are in the governmet, but the rest of us better just start liking what we are told to like, or we will get the hose.

22. ap3604 thread starter macrumors 68000

I'd actually liken it more to driving an 8mpg Hummer across country in the middle of an oil crisis as a better example ;)

23. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

I didnt know we are in the middle of a spectrum crisis. Who told you that? Oh ya ATT told you that. Well didnt they also say they are sitting on the largest amount of un used spectrum of any company. But they are only doing that to creat their own crisis so they can make even more money.

But wait, if I am right then ATT would be raising their price for Data, oh ya they are .

Those evil SUV drivers using gas when there is a fake gas crisis going on, and all of you evil spectrum users downloading netflix when ATT is trying to have a fake spectrum shortage to drive up the price of the huge unused spectrum they have.

24. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

Though I rarely use more than .5GB, I'll probably switch and then start using it more than I did before. I used to use my XM radio app on 3G just to use it on 3G and now I'll likely do that again since it won't be throttled.

25. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Good to see you are coming around to thinking the "right" way now!