Sinclair TV host-resigns after vulgar threat

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by bopajuice, Apr 10, 2018.

1. bopajuice, Apr 10, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2018

bopajuice Suspended

bopajuice

So often we overlook underlying issues. David Hogg is a vocal voice for the survivors of the Parkland mass shootings, yet because he will not go away he is the target of hate. Hate from conservative sources such as Sinclair. We cannot forget that these are teenagers speaking up about their experience in the aftermath of a mass shooting. I hope this subject does not quietly go away. It needs to remain fresh in our minds.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo...er-vulgar-tweet-threatening-parkland-survivor

2. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

I have to say that I am seeing the appeal in admiring someone for little else than that they piss off the right people. It's both hilarious and sad to see some become so petulant over this kid, even going so far as to threaten violent sodomy. They can fall like dominoes for all I care. :D

3. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

The Republicans could have just opted to ignore him. But instead, their beloved loudmouth leaders — Laura Ingraham and this Sinclair Guy — chose to make him into a liberal martyr like Joan of Arc.

Joan of Arc was also a teenager whilst she was rallying French armies to stomp on the English armies.

4. chagla macrumors 6502a

chagla

5. jerwin macrumors 68020

A snotty teenager.

source

6. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Sinclair Broadcasting Group- know the enemy of liberalism.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinclair_Broadcast_Group

Sinclair has faced scrutiny from media critics, as well as some of its station employees, for the conservative slant of their stations' news reporting and other programming decisions, and how the company's rapid growth has aided its dissemination of content that appeal to these views.[2][3][4] Sinclair has also faced criticism over business practices that circumvent concentration of media ownership regulations, particularly the use of local marketing agreements, accusations that the company had been currying favor with the Trump administration in order to loosen these rules[5] and about its management lacking diversity and being totally controlled by a single family.[6] Critics including former news anchor Dan Rather have described Sinclair's practices as being "an assault on our democracy" by disseminating what they perceive to be Orwellian-like propaganda to its local stations.

7. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

It should currently be fresh in the RNC's mind that by one's associates one becomes known for whatever those associates are up to. I always figured eventually the ever rightward moving Republicans would hoist themselves onto their own petard by hanging out with the purveyors of violent imagery on political talk shows and social media. Whatever happened to the William F. Buckley Jr. mold of conservative barn burner? This now ex-Sinclair dude Jamie Allman makes it clear enough the conservatives have left Buckley's wit and style to molder alongside him in the grave of their own remembrance.

Use of such inappropriate language to a teen-aged survivor of mass violence is inexcusable. Sure one can have a reasoned debate on the underlying issues. But that was not the opening salvo in such a debate. That was displaced rage that the gun lobby's past intransigence keeps coming home to roost, and that each mass shooting paints that lobby into more of a corner versus the American people.

"Rage, rage against the dying of the light" is more or less where Allman was coming from. Unfortunately his prose was nowhere near that poetic.

8. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Well maybe that vulgar analogy was it's Allman's attempt to come to grips with latent sado-homosexual fantasies... which makes this statement at the end of the article even more disturbing:
    Paging Dr. Freud!

Honestly I can get being angry at people and what they say, but we (as a species) need to get beyond this type of rhetoric. It serves only to boost egos in the most superficial way. ... and yes I'm aware that my supposition on Allman's motive was equally superficial.

9. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Yah I read that linked piece in the NPR article about the archdiocesan post that Allman had before going back to the talk show venue. Some parishioners were variously puzzled and enraged that he was ever that entity's spokesperson.

He ended up often enough becoming the story instead of managing --as a PR guy is supposed to do-- to keep stories about his employer down to a dull roar or soften negative impact, etc. In a way the archdiocese's experience of Allman was roughly how the White House experienced Scaramucci. Tornado, tsunami, wtf. The archdiocese was bemused enough that it put up with it longer. Allman seems to be in some sort of meltdown so they're probably glad it took place on Sinclair's watch, they have enough of their own problems.

10. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Ask Ben Shapiro how many death threats he gets a day. The left is no better.

11. samcraig macrumors P6

Well first that's a false equivalency given Ben's position and age. Second, based on your reply, you must agree that this attack on Hogg was completely inappropriate. Is that right?

12. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

David Hogg isn’t a survivor. He’s an oportunist and a pimple on the ass of society.

13. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Crude, rude, angry, uncompassionate, infantile and cantankerous - that seems to sum up the extreme people on the right these days. The kid survived a mass shooting, and he's a kid. Cut him some slack, as any sane normal human adult would do. That doesn't mean you have to agree with him.

14. samcraig macrumors P6

This is factually incorrect. But like those that enjoy seeing Trump trigger people - I'll enjoy Hogg triggering people.

15. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

I like how he suddenly isn't a survivor. Do you have to actually have a bullet in your body to be a survivor of a mass shooting? If I were in a school while a shooter prowled, not knowing if I would be killed and not knowing if my friends were being killed at that very moment, I think I'd qualify as a survivor. But sure, we can play semantics to delegitimize anything he has to say...

16. RedKite macrumors regular

RedKite

I’ve been following this very closely because a rape survivor friend was furious over the comments. In turn I saw other friends go quite active in hounding him and his station for supporting a, let’s not beat around the bus, underage rape fantasist. What let him down was that he said he was ‘preparing’ to rape him.... not joking about wanting it or anything more light hearted.

Still. Sooooo glad this happened..... More stains on the current US conservatives. More examples of them siding with pedophiles (or pedo fantasists)

My 100% apolitical don’t even vote friends and family heard this story too and now see the GOP and it’s fans in a disgusting light. At a birthday dinner some days ago a sibling and their partner commented “no wonder they like calling themselves deplorable if they don’t take issue [with Allman]”
    --- Post Merged, Apr 13, 2018 ---
    That’s what’s happening. In recent days I discovered that conservatives say non conservatives are delicate and emotional but my word just look at how this Hogg dude is triggering them with his excellent 1A abilities. Scared of a teen. Imagine that. “Pimple on the ass” yeah yeah. I don’t think I’ve ever called a teenager that even one I didn’t agree with or had different political opinions to myself ;)
    --- Post Merged, Apr 13, 2018 ---
    BINGO. All I can add is additional descriptive words... it’s so weird how they all act like one another too! Like I’m still to see a conservative call out Allman and demand an apology. Why aren’t they doing that I wonder??