Single Dead Pixel - Will Apple Exchange? (Update: it's dirt)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by madsci954, Apr 15, 2013.

1. madsci954, Apr 15, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2013

madsci954 macrumors 68030

I just got a new iPhone 5 this past Friday from T-Mobile and noticed it has a dead pixel (or dirt under the screen). It looks like it's only one but it's right in the middle of the screen. It shows up on all my apps and when I do a Home+Lock screenshot, it doesn't show up.

My question is will Apple exchange it over one dead pixel? I ask because my nearest Apple Store is over an hour away and I don't want to drive all that way and they say "no exchange for you!".

Update: I looked at the spot under a microscope and it looks like dirt, as it partially covers a section of 4 pixels.

2. Mrbobb macrumors 601

What a perfect opportunity to make use of that expensive phone u just got, call them! and be sure to ask the person's name, so when you actually show up, u can say, I spoke to Harriet Smith...

3. viperGTS macrumors 65816

Yes they will. I've exchanged for that reason before.

4. pnoyblazed macrumors 6502a

I thought it was a minimum of 2-3 dead pixels for them to swap it out?

5. aristobrat macrumors G5

Attached is a link to Apple's "pixel policy". Well, it's a link to an alleged leaked photo of that policy from 2010. AFAIK, Apple's never publicly announced that policy, so who knows.

http://www.tuaw.com/2010/11/05/apple-dead-pixel-policy-leaked-one-for-iphone-three-for-ipad-g/

In the end, it comes down to the employee that helps you. They have some ability to override Apple's policies, and as the numerous posts on MacRumors have shown, some of them try and pretend that certain Apple policies don't exist (in order to deny a repair for a customer).

Your iPhone is brand new, and you bought it from T-Mobile. The first thing I'd do is call T-Mobile back and see what they will do. Maybe they'll let you return it for a refund and then sell you another one.

If you do decide to goto the Apple Store, be sure to google "Genius Bar" and schedule yourself an appointment online before you go. Showing up in a store without an appointment is never a safe bet.

6. madsci954 thread starter macrumors 68030

Yeah, I heard conflicting reports that they'll exchange it only if there are several dead pixels and I only have one, hence why I am here. I chatted with an online Apple advisor and gave me a list of steps to try first then go from there.

7. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Now we know 3 years in phone-years is like, wow so 2010. OK to use as a reference, but technology moves on, standards moves on. 12 years ago, my first laptop, LCD screen yields not so great, so dead pixels expected, now, manufacturing process improve greatly, so (if you had to ask) I personally find 1 dead pixel unacceptable.

8. madsci954 thread starter macrumors 68030

I updated my OP, its dirt and not a dead pixel.

9. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

Regardless of what T mobile or Apple say, you are still in the return period. So just return it and get a refund, then buy another one if you get any issues. I suspect Apple will just swap it for you anyway though if you make an appointment at the GB.

10. AnorexicPig, Oct 8, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2013

AnorexicPig macrumors 6502

AnorexicPig

Hi guys, my iPhone 5 has like 12 days left in warranty,and I have noticed a dead pixel. It kind of irritates me-will apple replace the phone under warranty ?

I really am bugged about it,as apart from that,the phone is in absolute pristine condition-should I take it to apple store ?

Also-the phone has been brilliant apart from this,I understand if they exchange it,it will be a refurbished unit,will it be as good as my current phone ? Or should I hang on to it and deal with the pixel :/.

11. spazma7ik macrumors 6502a

12. Brian Y macrumors 68040

No dead pixels are acceptable on any device smaller than an iPad mini - so yes, it will be replaced :).

13. ToyGun1 macrumors 6502

Just exchange the device had to exchange three iphone 5 last year due to dead pixels no problem at all and no question asked.

14. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

This is full of win....unless you're the OP, then it's just kind of sad.

15. ItsWelshy macrumors regular

It would be unlikely that he'd get to speak to Harriet, the call centers are quite big.

16. AnorexicPig macrumors 6502

AnorexicPig

17. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

[​IMG]

I'd take the phone and the microscope into an Apple store.