Single Mother must pay $1.8m for downloading 24 songs

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Apple OC, Nov 5, 2010.

1. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

WTF ... who decides this? ... the freakin Taliban?

is public stoning next? :cool:

2. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

Never before has any company or organization been so malicious towards their customer base. They threaten, extort, blackmail and antagonize ISPs, individuals and universities. They run background checks on their potential targets and then sue those weakest. All the while they have their senate puppets Leahy and Hatch pass legislation enabling them to take such actions.

Not only has it brought bad publicity towards the organization and indirectly towards the artists they represent, it has cost them more money to go after individuals than they are receiving back from the lawsuits. They even turned down a potential tax on devices such as iPods, iPhones, Zunes and other media player and recording devices out of "principle." So instead of guaranteed income, they get a $58 million loss.

The RIAA thinks Thomas will pay. They'll find a notice of bankruptcy instead, and they'll get nothing.

3. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

there's a simple way to put an end to all this madness

stop downloading illegally and pay 99 cents for a song on itunes :cool:

4. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

Most of these lawsuits came right before iTunes became a major household name. The statute of limitations on such copyright restrictions is six years, often times the cases are decided after six years because they were initially filed shortly before the the limitations expired.

5. Apple OC thread starter macrumors 68040

Apple OC

sounds like you agree with the fine?

and parking tickets? ... maybe they should be bumped to $1 million also.

6. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I am guessing this is a repeated case that has been posted before but let me explain how that 1.8m number came from.

It not that she download the songs but instead she had them shared and they were downloaded from her quite a few times and each time they were downlaod they charged her the max they could and it ads up to 1.8 million.

7. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

8. 184550 Guest

Exactly.

As the tired and cliche saying goes, 'Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.'

9. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I don't think there are too many people who can honestly say they think it's completely okay for her to download and share the songs - I think the issue is, were there really almost $2 million in damages? It doesn't sound to me like the judgment fits the infraction.

10. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I would say, $20,000 is enough punishment. But 1.8M is too high for 24 songs.

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I agree, but I think she should pay a fine.

I think anything over $5k is ridiculous, so you can probably guess what I think of $2000k (expressed in this way just to put it in perspective).

How many musicians, even "stars", earn $2 million from just selling their album to fans? Not many. Not even the Glee kids, combined, earn that much from Glee album sales on which they sing on.

12. filfortugno macrumors regular

never

i will never, ever, in a million years, pay for another movie or song again, not until they put the price at a reasonable tier. The price is going up and the quality and creativeness of the media is sinking fast. 20 $ for a movie is just ridiculous, i don't care how much work is put into it and it isn't my problem the big studios choose to work with 100 million dollar budgets. 20$ for an 1.5 hrs of entertainment is ludicrous to me.
    I hope this woman puts up her middle finger, claims bankruptcy, and pirates every single song she can find until her HDD is filled.
    rant over lol

13. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Well, to be fair, if they're not buying the music, they're not really customers.

To the OP - you might want to put a link in.

14. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

I don't think everybody knows that downloading content for free from the Internet is illegal still. I think they are fining here that much to make an example of her, not that that makes it okay. She's never going to be able to pay that back, obviously.

15. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I think she got that because she was sharing them. Just downloading or possessing copyrighted data isn't that bad but sharing it without a permission is.

16. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

Pfft, that's nothing. In the UK you can go to prison for 10 years and receive an unlimited fine. It's madness.

http://www.ukfilmcouncil.org.uk/10309

I don't think the punishment fits the crime in any of these cases.

17. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

It's all about precedent, and fear. They know they won't see the money, from her.

This is a shot over the bow of future downloaders.

18. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

She had the option to settle for less than $5000 according to an article I read, but she chose to go to court. She deserved it.

19. allmIne macrumors 6502a

allmIne

The irony of you not realising that prices are going up because you, and others like you, are pirating is just too much. Also quite ironic that you complain about dwindling creativity, not realising that your contribution towards diminished profits disincentivises said creativity.

Hilarious - you, sir, made my day! :)

20. Apple OC thread starter macrumors 68040

Apple OC

A link to what? ... read the news ... I did not make this up

(oh ... now it makes sense, she was also caught with 2 joints of weed)

21. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

Depends what she was downloading. If it was Justin Beiber then she deserves the fine :p

Wonder how much your fine will be? :D

22. gnasher729, Nov 6, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2010

gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Well, Psystar was found guilty of having made about about 750 illegal copies of MacOS X. The stupid law says the fine is "per work", and while MacOS X 10.5 retailing for $129 is one work, a CD with 15 songs that you grab from the bargain bin for $3.99 is fifteen works. So a "work" sold for $129 and a "work" sold for 26 cents are treated the same by the law. And while the fine is between $750 and $30,000 per work, with fines up to $150,000 if the copying was "willful" whatever that means, it never occurred to Apple that Psystar's copying was "willful" so Psystar was ordered to pay $30,000; but in this case apparently the stricter rule had to be applied for some reason that I cannot fathom, with no evidence at all that any substantial number of copies were made, and the fine was set to $62,500 _per song_.

If you compare the circumstances, if songs with a retail price of about $80 had been copied, and if there was reasonable evidence (not proof, but reasonable evidence) that about 750 copies of each song had been made, _then_ a $20,000 fine would be about right. The RIAA claims that "millions could have downloaded these songs", but they don't mention that these millions could have downloaded the songs from a million different file sharers, so the number of copies downloaded from any single file sharer is very small.

I haven't seen any recently, but there have been plenty of websites in the past that offered software for $29.99 with the headling "download millions of free songs legally". Now I know that there is _some_ amount of free and legal music out there (google for Tryad, or Tasmin Little, just some examples, and a really determined person could have downloaded 250 free songs from iTunes over the last five years), but not _millions_ of songs. And you don't need any special software for anything that is free and legal. Anyone believing one of these ads obviously put themselves at a huge legal risk unknowingly.

23. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

This was on the front page of Yahoo, a day or two ago. I can't find it though.

$1.8 million is ridiculous, even if they are making an example of it.

Well, I also agree with this. She shouldn't have gone to court, but $1.8 million is still ridiculous.

24. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Well, Psystar was found guilty of having made about about 750 illegal copies of MacOS X. The stupid law says the fine is "per work", and while MacOS X 10.5 retailing for $129 is one work, a CD with 15 songs that you grab out of bargain bin for $3.99 is fifteen works. And while the fine is between $750 and $30,000 per work, with fines up to $150,000 if the copying was "willful" whatever that means, it never occurred to Apple that Psystar's copying was "willful" so Psystar was ordered to pay $30,000; but in this case apparently the stricter rule had to be applied for some reason, with no evidence at all that any substantial number of copies were made, and the fine was set to $62,500 _per song_.

If you compare the circumstances, if songs with a retail price of about $80 had been copied, and if there was reasonable evidence that about 750 copies of each song had been made, _then_ a $20,000 fine would be about right. The RIAA claims that "millions could have downloaded these songs", but they don't mention that these millions could have downloaded the songs from a million different file sharers, so the number of copies downloaded from any single file sharer is very small.

25. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

I didn't say you made it up, but it's accepted practice here to include a link to the story or article you are referencing.