Sinister plan for migrating from 15" CD MBP to 13" MBP after HD and RAM upgrade?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by redknives, Jun 25, 2009.

1. redknives macrumors member

Here's my plan - tell me if I'm crazy...

Where I am now:
    I bought a new 13" MBP - I have yet to power it up.
    I want to install a 500GB HD and 4GB RAM before transferring files and Windows partition from my existing 2006 15" CD MBP.
    For assistance, I have a NewerTech USB/ESATA jumper and an external powered optical drive.

My Plan:
    1) Attach NEW HD to OLD MBP via jumper, use Disk Utility to format NEW HD for "MacOS Journaled" and add 100GB NTFS partition for Windows BC.
    Would I have to rename the NEW HD "Macintosh HD" to get the NEW MBP to recognize it after install?
    Would the NTFS partition be wiped out by later OS install?

2) While attached, use Winclone to clone Windows image from OLD MBP into the aforementioned NTFS partition on the NEW HD.
    Should I just create backup image on the OLD MBP and transfer it during migration to restore later?

3) Install NEW HD and RAM in NEW MBP.

4) Boot NEW MBP from external USB DVD drive with NEW Leopard setup disk and install OS into MacOS Journaled partition.
    I want to use the external DVD drive because I do not know how you would start up from the setup disk in the internal drive if the machine has never been powered up.
    Could I just shove the setup disk in during power-up? What key do I hold down in either case?

5) When done, restart and setup / transfer files via FW800.

If anyone could provide any input (constructive), it would be greatly appreciated.

2. jdechko macrumors 68040

Hold down C on boot to boot from CD.

Or you can hold down the option key to list all bootable options on the computer.

You could also use disk utility on the new MBP to clone your existing install to the Mac Partition on your new drive.

3. crazyrog17 macrumors regular

No, the install wouldn't wipe out that partition because it'll only install on the partition you ask it to install on.

I don't have any experience backing up or transferring Windows though.

Personally, this is what I would do:
    If Windows is currently on it's own partition in your older 15", then boot the 13" with the Install DVD and run Disk Utility to copy that partition to the new 13". Hold T at boot to make the 15" a firewire disk drive so you can access it's hard drive from the new computer. After you've copied the Windows partition, install Leopard on it's partition.

4. redknives thread starter macrumors member

What I did...

I "heard" Winclone isn't so hot at transferring Windows images across processor types (CD to C2D) so I put off Boot Camp for now. I'll do a fresh install of XP when I need it (or maybe I'll just wait for 7). In lieu of that...

Using the USB/ESATA jumper, I formatted and renamed the new HD via Disk Utility on my current machine, threw it and the ram in the new machine, and installed Leopard via external DVD drive. Neither the Firewire 800 nor the Ethernet would to connect for migration so I used the Time Machine option instead - it was flawless. Everything works great now and I'm surprised how few apps required re-registering.