Sir David Attenborough 'received hate mail' for not giving 'credit' to God

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by edesignuk, Jan 27, 2009.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

BBC.

I love people.

All hail Sir David! :cool:

2. chilipie macrumors 6502a

chilipie

I also think Jesus should be credited as Deity Wrangler.

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

religion is becoming increasingly detrimental to society at this point. wtf.

4. bartelby macrumors Core

At this point?

I think it's always been detrimental.

I like Attenborough even more now.

5. pooky macrumors 6502

Attenborough rocks. Search on youtube for his clip of the Australian Lyrebird. Incredible.

That being said, I'm not remotely surprised at the ignorance and hatred in people who profess to follow a religion of love. It happens all too often, unfortunately. I can only hope that knowledge eventually wins over the self-inflicted ignorance that is all too common these days.

That being said, this thread is heading straight to the political forum...

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

that is a valid point, but it has becoming increasingly more cumbersome as science and time has moved on. i'd say that even religion had a good purpose in the beginning, but it has moved away from the things that made it useful to society... and now its a hinderance rather than a helpful stepping stone... but in any event...

people have to understand and respect others viewpoints... which clearly some cannot do, such a shame.

7. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

How can people send hate mail to David Attenborough? He's a genuine bleedin' National Treasure.

(Having said that, I bet if he read the letter aloud it'd sound wonderful! I would happily listen to him read the Thomson Directory aloud.)

8. suburbia macrumors 6502

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

'I'd like to thank myself for making the world a better place.'

10. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

/thread.

So at what point does religion utterly alienate itself from society (more so than it already has).

Him and Stephen Fry, definately.

11. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Well, take comfort in the fact that we Christians feel the same way. (Well, I can't claim to speak for everyone, but certainly for a lot of them. I hope.)

A Christian is someone who follows the teachings of Jesus and the Bible. Jesus said to love your enemies, to turn the other cheek, to forgive, to pray for others, etc. The Bible even has something to say about God showing love and mercy even to those we would personally prefer to hate (see Jonah and the whale).

People who say hateful things, send hate mail, have hateful protests, threaten you with hell, and otherwise try to "force" our beliefs upon you... I want nothing to do with those people. They make us ALL look bad.

12. suburbia macrumors 6502

Yeah, but you're Canadian; which means you're logical, rational and a tolerant Christian :D

I have an amazing friend who is a devote Christian, and she lives it-- doing charitable work in India, China as well as in other provinces in Canada with people of different religions and beliefs. Never has she been preachy, judgmental and impose her religion on me, or anyone-- we often joke about many issues in religion, and yes, that includes God.

She respects that I believe in God, just not in religion. And I respect her devotion to her religion.

And yes, we're Canadian :)

13. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

:D

So that's why he knows so much about the most bizarre creatures. He created them.

14. faust macrumors regular

faust

Religious zeal makes me sick. As it's been mentioned already, religion is detrimental to society at this point. I'm so horrified at how much of a grasp it still has. It's as though a million screaming zealots, afraid of death, are convulsing at once, praying for proof/a reason for religion to keep it's place. Makes my stomach hurt to just think about it.

15. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

Wow. How many gods would he have to credit to make everyone happy?

AppleMatt

16. Aeolius macrumors 6502a

[YOUTUBEWHINERBABY] "Leave Sir David Attenborough ALOOOOOONE!!" [/YOUTUBEWHINERBABY]

17. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I've had plenty of hate mail, all having to do with my opinions about... technology. And then there was the death threat.

So don't make me yawn.

18. Xfujinon macrumors 6502

Here at my medical school, we are supposed to be all about religious tolerance, and the embracing of all people's cultures, beliefs, etc. As a doctor, you DO have to be prepared to deal with every kind of person and accommodate their spiritual views....right?

It is all a hypocrisy. The muslim students keep to themselves, demand preferential treatment in the library study rooms (which are hard to get) so they can pray 5 times a day, they refuse to sit in on any lectures dealing with homosexuality (so do the mormons), and they generally shun anyone else but them. How is that the kind of behavior befitting an upcoming physician? Or are they only going to go treat their own people? How socially homogenous...

Religion is a mind virus. It is the most deadly force afflicting humankind today. It makes me want to cry, scream, and bang my head against the wall. I don't care what you base your own moral principles on, but why does it seem that everyone jumps on board the same BS wagon and then gets all self-righteous about it?

Sorry, it's been a long week, but it sickens me, it really does. Why can't people get along, play nice, and treat each other with respect and dignity without relying on outmoded, outdated, sentimental, self-satisfying delusions?

David Attenborough is now 10x my hero. I didn't know he was a critic of the (Un)Intelligent Design political movement....er, theory.

Give it up, people. Get a new hobby. Read a good book. Take a walk, realize how awesome it is to be alive. Treat other people decently. Don't hate someone because their special religious hat, book, and mystical hand waving isn't quite identical to yours.

19. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

The quote says he's "received hate mail." Does it specify how much?
    Because unless he's received hate mail from every religious person including the pope on this issue its a little too hasty begin putting out blanket statements about how archaic religion is. There are those wackos out there who are so upset by it that they would go through the effort to send a letter. For every one of those nuts there are probably at least a hundred religious people out there who could care less. Beside anyone in the public eye has probably received some type of hate mail in some form. Even Dora The Explorer!

20. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Especially Dora the Explorer.

21. djellison macrumors 68020

I don't think it's ever too hasty to do that.

22. tominated macrumors 68000

tominated

23. Sol macrumors 68000

Sol

Religion is not a bad thing; it can bring you closer to God, teach you how to appreciate life, treat other people with respect, etc. Unfortunately those are not the lessons learned by the fundamentalists who write hate-mail in the name of Creationism; they use religion to feel morally superior to supposedly less enlightened people who can appreciate science. Who are they to tell Sir David Attenborough how to do his job? It's not like he tells them how to pray.

24. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

You've gone and done it now. Good luck!

AppleMatt

25. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Exactly. People criticise religion and the outcomes of it, yet they're simply being vocal about another vocal minority. I've never known my religious friends to say half the things this thread has already seen. Ho hum.

Intolerance and racism sit comfortably on both sides.

But Attenborough was right not to credit god. The world was crafted by nature over time and animals, insects, humans have all evolved to survive on it. Whatever magical hoohah nature does now is all down to time.