Siri 2.0 features revealed!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CaliforniaKing, Nov 6, 2011.

1. CaliforniaKing macrumors member

My friend is a genius at an Apple store. He said every Apple employee has spent hours training with Siri. They are really trying to push the feature.

He said since Siri is only in beta, iOS 6 will take full advantage of the feature, and we will be able to have full conversations Siri, and she will to complete even the most complex tasks/requests such as:
    • Find me a good deal on hotels, airfare etc.
    • Connect to wifi network...(insert name)
    • You will able to tell Siri to download an app.
    • Siri and map navigation will work in Canada and U.K.
    • Siri will be able to detect vocal patters, so she can detect how you feel and respond appropriately.
    • Siri will be able to send voicemail to your contacts. You will tell her what to say.
    • You will be able to tell Siri to copy, paste, bold, underline and italicize
      text.
    • In Canada, Rogers Wireless offers Smarthome security. Siri will be compatible with this, for example you will now be able to tell Siri to turn on/off lights, arm/disarm your system, and check control your thermostat.

2. asen89 macrumors newbie

Holy God! Its like a living being *nearly* gues what it will be like 5 years in the future!

I heard a jailbreak enables it to be in scan mode all the time, so you just need to say 'Siri...do this...' to activate it, no hands! That feather + these, thats cool!

3. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Now that's pretty cool.

4. britboyj macrumors 6502a

This type of info isn't given to Apple Retail employees.

Your friend is making guesses.

5. AndrewR23, Nov 6, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2011

AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Are you an Apple retail employee? If not, then you are making guesses as well.

16 negatives! Keep it coming haha.

6. DryEyez macrumors 6502

Guys has no one seen Terminator, this isn't going to end well. Due to the fact it's inevitable, I for one welcome our new Overlord Siri. I always thought it was going to be the russians that were our Overlords....turns out it's going to be a computer program called Siri :rolleyes:

7. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

That is the only correct part of the post. Your friend at the Apple store knows nothing more about Siri's upcoming features then anyone else on here.

They do not share that info with retail employee's. Your friend is a liar. End of story.

8. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Don't worry, Siri will be smarter then Skynet. It will realize that the only winning move is not to play and offer to play chess.

9. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

I do agree with you, but then again, none of us work at Apple right now and have no way of knowing the truth.

10. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

I am not saying that we wont see some or all of these features, but his friend does not know about them.

11. DryEyez macrumors 6502

Yeah, then whilst we're playing chess and distracted...thinking...should I take Siri's bishop or knight, hmmm. It has already launched nukes and won the chess game anyway. :sadface:

12. asen89 macrumors newbie

I was thinking the same thing. SIRI has more knowledge than any one single human being on the planet! Thats intelligence. Lets hope you are wrong. BTW whats siri's answer to 'do you like wars?'

13. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Don't know if you're just playing devil's advocate or what, but it's well known that Apple Retail employees know nothing until a short time before the release of a product for training. And the fact that the OP says 'iOS6' instead of just 'when Siri comes out of beta' makes his post all the more fanciful.

I'd love to know how you can tell Siri to highlight text with just your voice: "Siri, highlight that line there...no that line, the line below..."

14. robbie12345 macrumors 6502

not possible

basically what ur post says is that it will come out in iOS 6 which means it will only come out of beta in 1 year,

i believe that ur friend is right because geniuses r programmers and they all know a thing or two about upcoming products ;)

but also everyone expects it to do all those things once it comes out of beta, downloading apps and stuff is a no brainer and italicize and everything is obvious as for as for cheap airfare that is just using yelp so yes

15. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Everything being said in this thread has no proof at all.

However, I believe the people that say Apple retail employees know no more than we do.

16. robbie12345 macrumors 6502

yes but the iOS 6 part makes no sense so we are going to have to wait a year to get siri out of beta is a ridiculous claim

17. gage006 macrumors regular

gage006

I assure you, your friend in retail has no clue about upcoming features or products. Let's think logically for one moment here, why would they tell a low level employee sensitive information that Apple's competitors would love to know? It's too much risk for no gain. The low level employee gets no better at his job for knowing this information about a product that isn't even released yet. This type of stuff is on a need to know basis and Genius Bar employees don't need to know.

18. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Apple Geniuses complete different training and are given different materials than Apple retail employees.

I would be surprised if Apple was telling Geniuses about future plans for Siri, but it's not entirely inconsistent with what I've seen in the past.

19. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

This a million times over. Retail employees are not given inside information, neither are people who work at Apple at anything but the highest levels. I have friends who work at Apple corporate and say its pretty secretive.

Honestly I'm surprised people are believing the OP. Not saying the OP is lying on purpose, but he is most certainly misinformed.

20. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Apple Geniuses are not the same as other retail Apple employees. They go through much harder training from what I've read, such as actually going to Apple's headquarters to train for two weeks. So it is somewhat possible they have been exposed to future products/services.

21. MagnusF macrumors regular

No, they don´t get ANY inside info further than maybe a couple of days if they need training for it.

And yes, i know a couple of geniuses.

Why the hell would apple risk it?

22. Obscurelight macrumors 6502

yeah and siri will be able to cook and clean my house like a roomba :D

23. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

How long do you think Apple could keep ANY secret if it told the Apple employees?:eek:

Just think about it.:p

24. bp1000 macrumors 65816

All the functions mentioned by the op are possible in time.

Regardless of whether they are guesses, Siri will handle this type of behaviour in time.

25. urkel macrumors 68030

. IOS6 is a long way from now and Apple doesn't value their high-turnover retail store employees inside info precisely because they may go and tell their friends who will rush to public message boards and tell us what's next.

NDA's exist for a reason and Apple knows how to use and enforce them.