Siri and In-Car Bluetooth

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Punkwaffle, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Punkwaffle macrumors regular

Punkwaffle

So does anyone here know if you can use one of the buttons on the steering wheel on a built-in bluetooth system can activate Siri?

It's a 2011 Hyundai Sonata if that helps.

2. bisonthrow macrumors member

I really hope so

Im wondering the same thing. It would be awesome to be able to hit the phone button on my car and say "siri" and be able to talk to my phone. I have a feeling though that it will be necessary to use either the iPhone headset or another with inline controls.

3. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Should work OK, your car is acting as a headset - so no different from voice dialing is with the IP4, which works fine in my car. I suppose not all Bluetooth implementations work the same way so you'll need to test it to be sure.

4. Phatzer macrumors regular

Phatzer

I'd have thought so too, though if I hold in the call button in my car, it doesn't activate the voice commands so I wonder if Siri now responds to it when voice commands didn't...

5. brian540 macrumors member

using the chevy cruze if I say bluetooth and then voice command it launched my iphones voice command... with a slight delayed voice response

6. Mazda 3s macrumors 6502

Mazda 3s

I can't even get it to work with my 2011 Hyundai Sonata 2.0t. When I press the home button, the Siri screen comes up on my iPhone, but the Nav screen on my Sonata shows it dialing my own phone number as if it's trying to dial voicemail (if I go to the actual Recent Calls screen on my iPhone afterwards, it doesn't show that the phone dialed at all).

The Siri "prompt" plays through the speakers, but it doesn't respond to any voice commands that I say.

Now if I just use the standard voice commands using the call button on the steering wheel, it will dial numbers normally. But Siri is a complete bust which is really disappointing.

I'm using iOS 5.0.1 BTW.

7. Nachoconqueso macrumors regular

On my headunit, if I have the iPhone bluetoothed, the home button activates the Siri, but Siri won't be able to hear me because the microphone on the iPhone is turned off (because its Bluetoothed) and since I've activated siri via the phone (and not the car) the microphone on the headunit is not turned on either.

So to make it work I can go through my headunits menu to hit the voice dial button or there's a hidden shortcut where if I hold down the menu button on the faceplate the voice dial (which is just Siri in my case) activates. It's really weird that my remote doesn't have a button for that, but it does have the phone button where it goes through the headunits dial methods. Look at the manual so you can double check all the buttons different functions in your vehicle. Its probably hidden in there like mine was.

8. fins831 macrumors 6502a

Its really interesting you all are talking about sonata's, my car just crapped out on me and I was going to get a 2012 sonata...

how are they, and let me know if you make any headway on the siri issue

9. magicbrain macrumors regular

crap

not sure on the hyunday integration, but on VW, when i press the home button on the iPhone, siri comes through the speakers

but ... when i just press steering wheel button, vw's system comes on (different then siri - thus sux, 100% more)

apple - take note, an option either way in the future pls?

ps: i found the bluetooth integration to be better with siri (then dock connector), but ... it's ******* up on iOS vr 5+ - the volume is either off or all the way up (supposedly 5.1 fixes this). i've decided to stick to 4.3.3 on my ipad & it works perfectly: ff / rw, volume control, etc

10. pilot1226 macrumors 6502a

pilot1226

On my Subaru Outback Siri does come over the speakers, but I have to press and hold the home button for a second or two to activate. When it does activate, it uses the car's bluetooth speakers/microphone.

I'm not sure if there's a "Voice Command" to activate Siri like was mentioned above. I'll play around.

11. LaunchpadBS macrumors 6502a

I use mine with a Sony bluetooth enabled unit, works quite well most of the time, well for siri at least :p

12. Fynd macrumors 6502

I have a JVC headunit, with the bluetooth adapter and mic under my steering wheel. Siri works like it should, but it's not near as good as using it on the phone itself. The noise cancelling, etc, just isn't there. Really need to stress words and talk in an unnatural way for it to be understood.

13. GAUG3 macrumors member

I have a Pioneer head unit. I press the Home button on the phone, I see SIRI and then my HU starts calling my voicemail.

14. Mac?Daddy macrumors member

Siri works just fine through the Bluetooth on a Civic, but has to be activated from holding the button down on my iPhone itself, which isn't really much of a nuisance.