Siri and raise to speak (battery ok in iphone 5, ios 6?)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Schtibbie, Sep 30, 2012.

1. Schtibbie macrumors 6502

Back when the 4S came out I heard lots of theories around why *some* people had bad battery life, and one of the things people commonly turned off was Siri's "raise to speak" on the theory that it was using a lot of power to run either the proximity sensor or the accelerometer or both. I can't find any evidence on the interwebs that this was ever proven to *actually* be an issue, but..

Does anyone know if this feature is now considered "is/is-not a battery hog" on the new iPhone 5 and/or iOS 6 in general? Did they improve it?

Are you using it? I'm torn because for some reason Apple has certain features only work the way I'd expect if this is ON. For example: With raise to speak ON, if i hold it to my ear and ask for the nearby restaurants, Siri tells me all about them in my ear. If I have raise to speak OFF, I can still get Siri to tell me that there *are* restaurants nearby (in my ear, once I've activated it and THEN put it to my ear) but she then won't speak them - but rather displays them.

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I still have a 4S and this is the first time I've heard this theory. I've never turned 'raise to speak' off and my battery life is what I consider to be normal.